How much do helicopter cost to buy and run?

and don't forget the insurance, if needed/wanted.

About the 'cheapest' I've seen are the single seat experimentals for around 35k, going up to more money than I care to think about for the big twins.

I'd suggest talking to an A/P about what they would charge for the assorted mainteance requirements on whichever aircraft you're interested in as a starting point.

There's the Mosquito helicycle, I think they go for around 50K. There's also Rotorway. If you want a real helicopter, and you have a few hundred thousand bucks you could opt for a Robinson R22/R44. I don't know the exact web addresses, you'll have to Google them, but some do have examples of what the costs are to own/operate them.

It really depends on if you are talking new or used. I would stick with production helicopters rather than home builts. You will have a better idea what you are getting. The manufactures' websites generally give an operating costs sheet. But use it as a guide only. They are based on new machines. Also each company tends to use their own pricing costs. When I bought mine, I took all the operating cost sheets and reworked them to compare apples to apples, with local rates and added 15% to the numbers.

Go to the FAA's website and get the Type Certificate Data Sheets for each helicopter you are looking at. These sheets will give the life limits on the components. Insurance costs will vary depending on the broker, what you are intending to do with the helicopter and your certificate and experience level.

Keep in mind that many of the items listed on the inspection programs, you can do yourself. Like greasing the helicopter and changing oil, etc. As a private owner, you will most likely fly about 100 to 200 hours a year. So the real cost of your ownership will be quite close to what you can rent for, if you find a helicopter to rent.

rick1128 Posted Today, 15:29

As a private owner, you will most likely fly about 100 to 200 hours a year. So the real cost of your ownership will be quite close to what you can rent for, if you find a helicopter to rent.

Just in case you need a real number for that, I am currently renting, and to fly 200hrs/yr it would cost me close to $50,000/yr, and thats for an R22. You could probably double that for an R44.

You should also know that as a renter there are a lot of things I am not allowed to do, like 'quick stops', 'max takeoffs', 'air taxiing', and any off airport landings require pre-approval from a company CFi, who of course has to go with me to check out the area. Another company wouldn't let me take the helicopter anywhere I hadn't already been with one of their CFis. :(

I have a 2005 R22 Beta II and here are my cost for about 1 year of ownership.

Insurance (personal): $7,450.00 yearly

Hanger: $2,400.00 yearly

Annual Inspection total: $1,800.00

Scheduled 50/100 hours Inspections: $1,100.00

Fuel (120 hours x 9 gal p/h x 4.50 p/g): $4,860.00

Oil (average 1 qt each 8 hours x 8.50 p/q): $127.00

This year total: $19,537.00

Cost to buy (age & hour dependant): $120,000.00 to 160,000.00

This does not count setting aside anything for reserves and upgrades, just actual out of pocket expenses.

I do not know if it is cheaper to rent but I choose to own so I do not have to worry about how others might treat it and I never have a scheduling conflict. ;)

Hope this gives you some reference.

edspilot