The Movie Avatar, osprey type.

I just joined this board to see if someone can help me out. At 10AM this morning I saw two "AVATAR The Movie" type helicopters fly over my home. My home is about a 1/4 mile from teterboro airport " http://www.panynj.gov/airports/teterboro.html " I never see any type of military aircraft fly over this area. But this morning the sound was scary...Never heard anything like it...They where flying about 150 to 200 ft above going directly towards this airport. The where desert camouflage they had twin rotors that where set in, I guess you would call them drums or rings just like the movie AVATAR. The body looked like the Osprey " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-22_Osprey " But the Rotors did not look like the Osprey they looked like the rotors from AVATAR. Been trying to find a picture of this type but cant find anything. So does anyone here know of such a helicopter?? Would love to see pictures of it, Did search on Internet and can not find anything....

Thanks

Guns

Either you were mistaken or its a secret military aircraft.

This is the only ducted fan aircraft I could find that fits your description, but I doubt this is what you saw.

Picture

On a side note, when I saw avatar, I thought to myself... "Damn it would be cool if someone actually built that thing" haha. I think it is called a Scorpion in the movie.

Edit: after some more searching I found the Bell X-22, but again, I highly doubt you saw two of these flying.

Bell X-22

Edited by Kimbo

How about this, Show me a desert cameo colored osprey... This is the color it was

Burtek%20hummer.jpg

Been looking at videos, photos all day, nothing!! Plus the osprey has "wings" with the rotors on the end of the wings. This had ducts very close to the body, no wings and the ducts looked to be much wider than the ones in Avatar. Plus I did not see rotors, just the ducts. They flew very low and I had great view. I don't know what else to say?

Guns

The odds are that they were the Ospreys that you seen. When it's in flight the blades look like a disk, whereas all the pictures show the individual blades. On top of that, there were 2 Ospreys shooting approaches to the Downtown Manhattan heliport yesterday morning. So they have been playing around the area. Normally we're in the city for 9am but yesterday, I wasn't needed until 10am, which was just after they left. Some of the other guys seen them and said it was pretty cool. Needless to say I was a little pissed!! The photo's showed them kicking up a ridicules amount of spray.

Damn, can I be that wrong? I guess so, Teterboro Airport is just minutes from the heliport. Ask them what color they where. Anyways thanks for the reply you both gave..

One thing for sure, they where bad ass looking, and sounding!!! Got camera ready this time. Maybe we will see them again, fleet week is right around the corner :-)

Thanks Guys

Guns

• 3 weeks later...