Robinson vs. Schweizer

I know that alot of people have talked about the differences and their likeability of each. What I am looking for is more info on what the industry is looking for in experience. Here's my dilemma.

One school I'm looking at uses the R22 mostly. They do have the 300, but it costs more and they recommend using the R22. The other school uses the 300 and even has the MD 500 for more advanced training.

Seeing as alot of entry level jobs are looking for R22 experience, would having all your training in the 300 make it hard for you to get a job? Any ideas and personal info you could give me would be great as I have narrowed my choice to these two schools. I like both schools, and the people that work/train there, so I'm having a hard time making a choice as to which will serve me better with the trainer they use. Thanks in advance for the replies. :)

The more strings to your bow the better, I say.

So long as you have more than 50 hours in R22 (so you can instruct), and 200 hours total helicopter time, I don't think it really matters that much which aircraft the other 150 are in.

Disregard the MD500 for now.

Let's say they were in the 300CB. An R22 school might ask you to fly a few more hours with their Chief just to refresh and hone the robbie skills. Well, that's not too much trouble.

Or start on the 300CB school, then change halfway through!

Joker

Just to add to what Joker said, to maximize your hirability, be sure to have at least 50 PIC hours in the R22. If you plan to apply/teach at an R22 school, get that time doing VFR training - IFR flying will NOT teach you a lot about the little beastie, especially flying with 0-hour students. Trust me on this one.

Among R22 schools, you will run into a lot which use Pathfinder insurance - requiring 300TT (and 50 R22), plus the RHC Safety course. So even doing all of your training in the R22 will not make you hireable everywhere. And while the Schweizer schools have no SFAR or Pathfinder to deal with, you will find that they are just as demanding of experience in type.

So choose the aircraft in which you want to spend the next 1,000 hours, then find the best school using that aircraft, then work your butt off to be the best CFI out there. You'll do fine.

Well, having over 1,000 hrs in robbies myself, mostly in the R-44 and about another 300 in the Schweizers, I guess I will put my $0.02 cents in.

If you want to be one of the elite and very marketable, I would do MOST of your flight time in the Schweizer.

For a couple of reasons.

1. There are not that many Schweizer CFI's out there, as there are not all that many schools using it.

You can ALWAYS find a job as a CFI in the Schweizer, some where. You may have to move, but that is

generally the case anyway.

2. The Schweizer is 3 bladed, fully articulated AND more like the helicopters that you will fly once you get

1000 hrs. The cyclic is where it is supposed to be, between your legs.

3. The Schweizer is a 3 seat helicopter, so it's a bigger helicopter. More realistic has far as the height off of

the ground as well. - The first time I flew a 206, coming straight out of robbies, I was dragging the skids

down the taxi way, as I could not really judge how high I was... I looked high enough, but I was just

inches off of the ground, being so used to the low sitting robbies.

4. With that said, I surely would get some R-22 time, at least the 50hrs and the factory course. Just in case

you want to fly R-22's instead, or your employer just happens to use both - some schools do.

I just got hired flying ASTARS and the one thing that the CP told be was, that he "LIKES HIRING ROBBIE PILOTS FOR THE ASTARS, AS THE ASTARS ARE JUST AS SQUIRLY ONCE YOU GET THEM CLOSE TO THE GROUND, JUST LIKE THE ROBBIES ARE AND THAT YOU HAVE TO FLY THE ASTAR THE WHOLE TIME, JUST LIKE WITH THE ROBBIES". - This is the CP of a very big company, over 20 ASTARS/Rangers.

So, as everyone else suggested, get time in both..... But I would suggest that most of your time be in the Schweizers. - It's a better ship, more sturdy, more stable, cyclic between your legs and it does autos like a dream. I am the only CFI here that teaches FULL DOWN AUTOS, and trust me, I have not seen a ship that can do a full down auto as softly and smoothly as the Schweizer (excluding the Huey).

A Huey can do a full down by it's self... lol

Good luck with your flying career.....

Ace,

Take a look at the jobs section of this website, under employee available under 1000 hours. There is easy 15 to 1 Robinson to Schweizer flight instructors available. Any more it is an insurance driven industry, which means if the bulk of your time is in Schwizer's you will able to be insured more readily in Schweizer and vis-a-versa for the Robinson. What all this means is this, if you train in the Robinson plan on trying to find work for a Robinson based training center along with the other 200 available Robinson instructors. In Schweizer's you will not have the competion for work, on the flip side there is not as many Schweizer based flight schools to find work at. As I have said before, fully articulated systems are better anyway. Hope this helps.

Blue skies

Thank you all for the great replies! I definitely have alot to learn, but I find that this site is by far the best out there, with the great experience of those that frequent these pages. So, if I do choose the school with the Schweizers and they don't have the Robbies, how would I get the time needed (the 50 hours)? May be a stupid question, but I'm not sure how you would make it happen.