Is this worth it?

Sparks

http://www.simcontrol.co.uk/newheli.htm

The complete kit at the top of the page. It is roughly £650/$900. Worth it?

What are your comments on this bit of kit and does anyone have one?

While I do not have the sim that you mentioned, I have quite a bit of time in simulators ranging from non-visual sims to full motion/visual sims. The main thing to think of as to whether this sim will be worth your money is, "What am I wanting to accomplish by owning it?" If you are wanting something to keep your flying skills up at a fraction of the cost of flying the real thing, it can help with that. If you are wanting to keep a good edge on your instrument skills, that's good as you will find this is probably where you are going to see the biggest return on your investment. Of course, you need to make certain that the software you are running is robust enough to give you proper responses to your control inputs to mimick an actual helicopter. Having a computer with a fast processor and plenty of RAM will go along way in making things happen properly. The ideal setup would be to have a dedicated computer with dual video outputs, one to a monitor for the instrument panel and one to an LDC projector for the outside visuals. Be certain that the monitor for the instrument panel is big enough so that the instruments will appears in somewhat a realistic size. If you are able to set up the simulator up permanently, in a room where you will not be distracted by outside environmental factors, you will find that will go a long way in allowing you to focus on the task at hand. Having the kids or wife interupt you while on short final in zero/zero to JFK can all but kill the benefit of having a sim.

Just my two-cents...Doug

• 6 months later...
http://www.simcontrol.co.uk/newheli.htm

The complete kit at the top of the page. It is roughly £650/$900. Worth it?

What are your comments on this bit of kit and does anyone have one?

Has anyone purchased these controls? I am seriously considering purchasing, but kinda skeptical, since i have not heard anything about them other than what the company says. If you have a set, or have used them please let me know. the complete price (with optional twist grip throttle is approximately 1150.00 USD)

I am a new student with about 7 hrs TT, and i am really looking for something that will help my coordination between power-vs- pedal/yaw controll. B)

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

Wow, Kudos to the originator of this thread.

That system looks pretty cool. In looking around that sim contols website there is another set of controls that are more advanced.

The dodosim software looks like it is far and above the "gamer" type. This is all looking like some serious professional stuff here. I cant help but wonder if its accurate though (control input and response to sim a/c). I would also be curious how it handles training maneuvers like say.....doing an auto or maybe hovering auto's.

But, how cool would it be to build up a decent graphics computer, buy a set of these controls, a projector, a semi-decent sound system, and turn a spare room into your own personal flight center? If its as accurate as all the reviews say, this could really be a tool for a student and could possibly shave money off of their overall training bill. Hmmm....... I dig it! I might have to build myself a simulator

I am a new student with about 7 hrs TT, and i am really looking for something that will help my coordination between power-vs- pedal/yaw controll.

Honestly, since you have such low hours, I'd say that the best way to improve your coordination is to acutally fly....$1500 is a lot and can be put towards a number of hours. I like to mess around on simulators every once and a while, but I wouldn't consider it a replacement for actually flying...on a kind of different note, I can't wait to get the new microsoft flight sim, it looks amazing.

Wow, Kudos to the originator of this thread.

That system looks pretty cool. In looking around that sim contols website there is another set of controls that are more advanced.

The dodosim software looks like it is far and above the "gamer" type. This is all looking like some serious professional stuff here. I cant help but wonder if its accurate though (control input and response to sim a/c). I would also be curious how it handles training maneuvers like say.....doing an auto or maybe hovering auto's.

But, how cool would it be to build up a decent graphics computer, buy a set of these controls, a projector, a semi-decent sound system, and turn a spare room into your own personal flight center? If its as accurate as all the reviews say, this could really be a tool for a student and could possibly shave money off of their overall training bill. Hmmm....... I dig it! I might have to build myself a simulator

Yeah i know whether to do it or not? I have the money...but that money is a 1/15 of my ppl. So is it REALLY worth it? And my main question still is whether the software is good enough? If its like Flight sim 04 then i wouldnt bother.

I really need to find an actual location where they have these and try one. Then i will let you all know!

If its like Flight sim 04 then i wouldnt bother.

I really need to find an actual location where they have these and try one. Then i will let you all know!

AndrewT,

Yes i know there is no substitute for flying, but if i can improve my motor skills a little at home, then i might save a few hours in the helicopter just trying to get coordination, and put them towards more advanced menuvers.

I found this software that upgrades the MSflightsim X (latest version) that adds a number of realistic issues, such as LTE, vortex ring state, and torque induced yaw amoung other things.

for about 60 bucks. here www.dodosim.com