Approved Simulators

The U.K. unit is nice - still based on MS Flight Sim, and for a certified unit roughly the same price as FlyIt. I've lived with a FlyIt for a couple of years now - it has flaws, but on the whole it's a pretty useful tool - on average, we knock about 3 - 4 hours off of the the time to solo by spending 2-3 hours in the sim, saving folks around $600-$800.

We use ours for initial training, emergency procedures (tail rotor, engine fail, inadvertant IMC), advanced maneuver intro (downwind quick stops, ag turns, etc), and of course IFR training and recurrency.

If you can average 5 hours a week in the sim, it will pay for itself (assuming a loan to buy it).

Along time ago when I went to HAI in Concord and when I worked in Sacramentto they had a FTD that was certified for both instrument recurrency and Instrument Proficiency checks. I belive it was model atc-112h, but its been A LOOOOOng time so I could be wrong.

Guest pokey

do any of these simulators have "motion"? Friend of mine works for flight safety and teaches in the full motion jet sims, he says they are "so real & lifelike". Talked to a ch-53 pilot & he said that IF you intentionally try to crash the '53 sim, close yer eyes 'cause yer gonna get sick. only thing close to something like that i ever been in was Harrier simulator at the airforce museum in Dayton Ohio. you didnt have the controls, but the motion & the screen, & the flying was soo "real" it was low-flying (very) i guess thru england/scotland, (castles, mountains water)... i kept waiting for the "BANG" ---as in "this guys gonna wreck this thing."

No, they don't have motion. Frasca has a line of simulators approved for most ops, but not all. AFAIK only the FSI full-motion sims are approved for everything, but there might be others. I've been in both their Bell 412 and Sikorsky S76C+ sims many times, and they are very good, and very realistic. The Frasca is pretty good for a non-motion sim, but the lack of motion makes lots of folks sick. It's disconcerting to see the scenery jerk and feel nothing. We wear anti-motionsickness bands in them most of the time.

Our company has a Frasca that we use for inadvertant IMC procedures. I doesn't have the floor screen yet, so it's really hard to hover, land, etc. When they get that installed, they can use satellite overlays to simulate all the roof top helipads, oil rigs, LZs, or whatever they want. We played around with that a little, but it was only the demo. With the IMC stuff......the best part was just starting to break out at 200/3 after an crazy ASR with turbulance & wind shear and having the chief pilot pop up in front of the screen and jump through the wind screen at you......fun times.

Hi folks,

when looking for simulators, come to good old europe ;-)

You find full motion simulators here.

One of the best is helisim in France, near Marseille.

http://www.eurocopter.com/site/FO/scripts/...N&noeu_id=10023

Great stuff, cockpits (for the Eurocopterfamily) can be changed in a few hours.

It is classified and can be used for annual checkrides (which makes things harder for the pilot, because the checker can simulate every bloody helicopter fault....)

Hi folks,

when looking for simulators, come to good old europe ;-)

You find full motion simulators here.

One of the best is helisim in France, near Marseille.

http://www.eurocopter.com/site/FO/scripts/...N&noeu_id=10023

Great stuff, cockpits (for the Eurocopterfamily) can be changed in a few hours.

It is classified and can be used for annual checkrides (which makes things harder for the pilot, because the checker can simulate every bloody helicopter fault....)

Flying Bull -

Are there any in England??

The one in France - can anyone walk in and use it as a one time gig or is it part of a training package? How much an hr?

Flying Bull -

Are there any in England??

The one in France - can anyone walk in and use it as a one time gig or is it part of a training package? How much an hr?

Hi Klas,

England - there were one Lynx-Simulator - but that was for the Navy, not quite sure, wether it is still working.

Helisim - I don´t know, wether they are selling one time gigs - we have always several sessions with our own instructors. Best give them a call or email - also about the price, it´s deppending on the contract - wet (wizh instructor from helisim) or dry (with own instructor).

If you buy enough hours, the pricing is equivellant to the hour in the real machine....

but the bennefits you can take home are incredibel.

Greetings Flying Bull"

Hi Klas,

England - there were one Lynx-Simulator - but that was for the Navy, not quite sure, wether it is still working.

Helisim - I don´t know, wether they are selling one time gigs - we have always several sessions with our own instructors. Best give them a call or email - also about the price, it´s deppending on the contract - wet (wizh instructor from helisim) or dry (with own instructor).

If you buy enough hours, the pricing is equivellant to the hour in the real machine....

but the bennefits you can take home are incredibel.

Greetings Flying Bull"

Thanks for the info!

• 2 months later...
This simulator program has the ability to track your eye movements, so you can tell exactly where the pilot is looking. Here is their website, and they are JAA certified...

http://www.aerosimulators.be/

That eye movement tracking stuff is really cool...

But how expensive are the trainers? Are they really cost effective? The owner of my training station has a fleet of 7 helicopters as well as 2 Bell turbine and is a Enstrom dealer. I would think that if it was a good tool, he would probably have one? humm.. then again...

Bristolxyz