47 down in Wis.

Goldy

47 made an emergency landing while crop dusting. Apparently the ship landed ok, breaking one skid. The pilot exited the aircraft and was killed by the main rotor striking him. This is really tragic, very experienced pilot....

His name was Mac McGraw and was a very dear friend of mine, he flew for the same company I currently do. I am having a verry difficult time dealing with his death. I was doing my preflight in the dark the day after and, it was the only time I have ever done a preflight with tears running down my face and hands trimbling. I just kept telling myself, shake it off man,Its time to go to work.

Here is what we think happend, He was taking off over very tall grass, setaside ground, and kills the hell out of lift. But this is not like Mac, he would ferry a long distance not to take off over corn that kills lift to. He had told his groundcrew that am. that the engine had a strange tone or something. Maby the combination of eng. not to full power and tall grass was even to much for the best Ag pilot.

We think that after he hit the ground shut it off and was walking away as it was windind down and wobiling like a lot of hel. do the upright that was broke folded.

The groundcrew reported that he was running to the hel. when he heard a (pop) That was my friends head being struck by the rotorblade

The blades were so low to the ground that the groundman had to wait until the blades stopped to look for him in the grass. Mac would have NEVER walked under the blades that low.

Mac Mcgraw, Navy Seal, Ag pilot, gone,but not forgotten.

Mac Mcgraw, Navy Seal, Ag pilot, gone,but not forgotten.

Thanks for personalizing this. Like my original post said, very tragic.

For those that may not have flown a 47, there is not a rotor brake...the main rotor just winds down to a slow stop.

Spray pilot- you may want to start a post in the memory section of this forum.

Our thoughts are with the family.

Goldy