Warrant Officer waiver for hearing.

I've got a couple questions regarding my packet, I've taken my afast (149) and have a gt of 127. My physical was good except my eyesight in my left eye was 20/40 and I have some high frequency hearing loss in my left ear, (6k came out to 65). Am I able to get a waiver for my hearing, if so how do I go about getting it? The rest of my packet is complete except for the letters or recommendation. I'm deployed right now on my second tour, I'm hoping on being able to submit this before redeployment. Any advice?

The flight surgeon is the one who puts in for the recommendation (of the waiver).

My suggestion is... When you talk to the Flight Surgeon, ask him/her what YOU can do to start the process of a waiver, and what the whole waiver process for your particular case is.

CHAD

The flight surgeon is the one who puts in for the recommendation (of the waiver).

My suggestion is... When you talk to the Flight Surgeon, ask him/her what YOU can do to start the process of a waiver, and what the whole waiver process for your particular case is.

CHAD

Thank you!

My friend just got denied his wavier for hearing two days ago. He has 35% hearing loss, which is bad. But not long before there was another guy who had a lot better hearing than they friend who was denied right on the spot for a waiver. Not to try and shoot you down, just telling you my experience with the two guys I know that had a hearing problem. They were extremely strict about hearing, this was only a few days ago at Fort Drum, New York.

• 4 weeks later...
Is it possible to get a waiver for eyesight. I have 20/20 vision. The problem is I'm .5 a diopter off. Its ridiculous.

you can repeat the cyclo exam, my first was .25 worse than my 2nd and also if you are that close you qualify for an aeromedical exception to policy, talk to the flight surgeon!

There is no definite answer for the granting of waviers except if you don't try you won't get one.

It doesn't matter what any one on this forum says. All that matters is what the flight doc and the review board say.

Ask the flight surgeon what the exact requirements are and if there's anything you can do to keep the ball in your court.

Other than that keep your best foot forward.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if you got your waiver or not, but I went through the exact same thing. I put my packet together in Iraq in 06'. My hearing is 65 at 6k and 70's at 8k! You will need to get an "Exception to Policy". Waiver's go through Ft. Rucker, Exceptions to policy go through DA. I had 3 Lt Colonels in Iraq tell me I would never fly, and I just started the 64D course about 2 months ago. Get everything done now, even your letters of recommendations. You will need to talk to a lady named Adelle Kynard at Ft. Rucker. She handles all the Waivers/Exceptions for flight school. I have her number, but I don't want to post it on this. I'm not sure where you're stationed, but when I was on my R&R I paid a visit to Ft. Rucker for about 3 days and basically camped out in the audiologist office until they got me in. I had to through more than the regular hearing test, things they can't do in Iraq.

If you're already in, great, if not, let me know and I'll send you all the info you need. Send me an email in this thing, and we can talk further.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure if you got your waiver or not, but I went through the exact same thing. I put my packet together in Iraq in 06'. My hearing is 65 at 6k and 70's at 8k! You will need to get an "Exception to Policy". Waiver's go through Ft. Rucker, Exceptions to policy go through DA. I had 3 Lt Colonels in Iraq tell me I would never fly, and I just started the 64D course about 2 months ago. ...

Good luck.

CONGRATS on starting the course...I just started. I'm on JOPD hold LOL...but I'll be there soon...so now I'm living it up PICERNE style...

way to not let some O5's bring you down...bunch of haters...lol

Edited by ErOk_OnE

• 4 years later...

I am putting together a Warrant Officer packet, but I am a civilian. I have high frequency hearing loss in my right ear. Am I able to get a waiver for that and still fly helicopters? I have no other problems just the one ear. My recruters told me that I couldnt fly because of it is that true?

I am putting together a Warrant Officer packet, but I am a civilian. I have high frequency hearing loss in my right ear. Am I able to get a waiver for that and still fly helicopters? I have no other problems just the one ear. My recruters told me that I couldnt fly because of it is that true?

Have you gone through MEPS? Let them determine how much hearing loss you have, and that will, in turn, inform your ability to receive a waiver if needed.

Read Lucky64's post above.

Most recruiters aren't resourceful enough to get out of their own way, much less pass a definitive ruling on an existing medical condition. However, there are over 500 WO1s waiting to start flight school at Ft Rucker, and the present reality is that if you actually get your waiver granted, it will probably a primary discriminator during the board. Waivers, are being used as a "culling" method to trim down the guys/gals in limbo with the pending budget cuts and draw down. Mike-

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone. I know this post is a bit old, but I'm kind of in a similar situation. So I took a flight physical last year in June and I was disqualified for 3 things. High cholesterol, leg length, and hearing. I recently commissioned as a 2LT, and I was able to retest those three things. Turns out they screwed up on my leg length and my cholesterol reading was wrong. Those two things were cleared off but the only issue now is my hearing. Im scoring 60 in both 3K and 4K levels. Ive put my whole packet together and have done everything I need to do(SIFT, LOR's, etc..). I even have a commander that wants me at his reserve unit. I am definitely not giving up. So my question is, has anyone ever been granted a waiver with that level of hearing loss? I have worked so hard to get to this point. Any thoughts? FYI, I will be retesting my hearing test soon and since I know what my hearing level is, I WILL be requesting a waiver.

Kind regards,

2LT Chavez

Not sure about the waiver situation, but I have a few tips for the hearing booth to maximize your scores. I find that it helps me to rest my elbows on my knees leaning forward head hung comfortably. Make sure the earphones are positioned as to not hear your heartbeat. Take long very slow breaths to minimize any breathing sounds. Don't move, even if you think there is a little break. Sometimes the next round is immediate. I have ringing in my ears and I really need to concentrate for the hearing test. Hope this helps, good luck!

This is what i was able to find in the Army Flight Surgeons Aeromedical Checklist and Aeromedical Policy Letters.

AEROMEDICAL CONCERNS: Adequate hearing is essential for communication in flight and also for rapid and accurate assessment of warning tones in the cockpit.

WAIVERS: Unrestricted waiver can be considered depending on amount of hearing loss and functional capability, provided a complete Audiological evaluation indicates no underlying pathology, and binaural speech recognition score is 84% or higher. Aircrew members with a recognition score of less than 84% may receive a waiver, but are generally handled on a
case-by-case basis. Patients who are H4 profile will inevitably be disqualified.

HEARING STANDARDS
Acceptable audiometric hearing levels for Army aircrew members and ATC
Class 500 Hz 1000Hz 2000Hz 3000Hz 4000Hz 6000 Hz *
1/1A 25 25 25 35 45 45
2/3/4 25 25 25 35 55 65
*Isolated hearing loss at 6000 Hz will not require full audiology work-up unless recommended by the local FS or audiologist (i.e., new onset, etc.) and is not considered disqualifying; however, 6000 Hz hearing measurements will be reported for AEDR data base and/or research and academic interest.

INFORMATION REQUIRED: Complete initial audiological evaluation is required to include
pure-tone air conduction testing (and bone conduction if deemed necessary by audiologist or FS), immittance audiometry to include:
tympanometry
acoustic reflex threshold testing
speech reception threshold testing
speech recognition (discrimination) testing in quiet under earphones. Speech recognition testing will be conducted both monaurally and binaurally utilizing the North Western University (NU6) word list material. Monaural testing will be conducted at a sensation level (SL) of 40 decibels (dB). Binaural recognition testing will be conducted at the patient's most comfortable listening level (MCL).

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, IF APPLICABLE:
Significant hearing loss may require ENT evaluation and/or an in-flight evaluation. An in-flight evaluation may be obtained through the US Aeromedical Consultation Service or may be conducted locally. The in-flight evaluation consists of doing a speech audiometry (using common aviation terms) while exposed to in-flight conditions of noise and normal flight conditions in the individual's primary aircraft (if this is a solo- aircraft, a dual-aircraft with similar noise
level should be chosen). An individual with normal hearing should also be tested at the same time to verify the accuracy of testing and all microphones and headsets should be tested prior to testing. Note: A list of common aviation terms is available upon consultation with USAAMA.

FOLLOW-UP: An annual manual or microprocessor pure-tone evaluation at 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, 2000 Hz, 3000 Hz, 4000 Hz, and 6000 Hz in each ear is required. Automatic Bekesy type tracings are not acceptable. A shift of 20 db or greater in EITHER ear (from the baseline established with the current waiver) at 1000 Hz, 2000 Hz, 3000 Hz, and 4000 Hz will require a submitting a complete audiometric assessment to USAAMA, including air conduction, speech audiometry, and
tympanometry.

NOTE: The current DOD Hearing Conservation Program (DA PAM 40-501) requires a follow-up hearing test or medical work-up for a shift of 15dB from baseline in either ear, or a 10 db average shift in both ears at the frequencies noted above. While local FS’s should continue adhere to this DOD policy, submission of the complete aeromedical audiometric assessment is only required for a 20db shift in either ear or inability to hear adequately in the aircraft environment. Otorhinolaryngology - 8 US Army Aeromedical Policy Letters

TREATMENT: Patients with conductive hearing loss may be helped by the use of hearing aids for ground duties in nonhazardous noise. The use of a hearing aid in flight is not recommended or authorized since the headsets have volume controls.

DISCUSSION: Patients with conductive hearing losses often hear better in a noisy background, such as in the air; whereas those with sensorineural hearing loss, tend to perform less accurately in the noisy flight environment. The factors to be taken into account in deciding an aeromedical disposition are the degree and type of loss, the need to hear accurately on the ground and in the air, the possible effects of fatigue, and the rate and degree of hearing loss progression.

Make sure the earphones are positioned as to not hear your heartbeat.

How the $#*& do you do that? Every time I put those darn things on all I hear is my own heart beat. Boom-boom, boom-boom, boom-boom.......

I'm glad I retired in 2011 from the reserves. My last few flight physicals had me on the verge of a "hearing shift."

• Like 1

Not sure about the waiver situation, but I have a few tips for the hearing booth to maximize your scores. I find that it helps me to rest my elbows on my knees leaning forward head hung comfortably. Make sure the earphones are positioned as to not hear your heartbeat. Take long very slow breaths to minimize any breathing sounds. Don't move, even if you think there is a little break. Sometimes the next round is immediate. I have ringing in my ears and I really need to concentrate for the hearing test. Hope this helps, good luck!

What should you do if you're taking a hearing test in Iraq and the booth is shaking from the outgoing 120mm mortar rounds and the afterburners from the F-16s? Good times...

Seriously though, I find that wearing the foam ear plugs for a couple days prior to the test has helped.

What should you do if you're taking a hearing test in Iraq and the booth is shaking from the outgoing 120mm mortar rounds and the afterburners from the F-16s? Good times...

Seriously though, I find that wearing the foam ear plugs for a couple days prior to the test has helped.

Absolute truth here. I had a friend who was trying to get into OCS while he was in Afghanistan. Well, in Bagram at the time the audiology clinic was pretty much right next to the damn flight line. Needless to say, after walking around with ear plugs in his ears for about two days he passed.

I also find it funny that hearing is something that disqualifies. You're going to go deaf flying these things for any length of time as it is. My dad sure was hard of hearing after 20+ years in the cockpit.

• 1 year later...

Here is an update to my situation... I know this post is pretty old, but I'm sure it can help someone else just as it helped me.

I was able to get a waiver granted for my hearing loss and I am about 6 weeks into flight school. It was absolutely no easy task and I had to go through numerous flight surgeons just to get retested. As I read on a previous post, you have to be persistent. Period. I was able to pass their speech recognition testing near perfect even with my bad ear. Below are the standards:

WAIVERS: Unrestricted waiver can be considered depending on amount of hearing loss and functional capability, provided a complete Audiological evaluation indicates no underlying pathology, and binaural speech recognition score is 84% or higher. Aircrew members with a recognition score of less than 84% may receive a waiver, but are generally handled on a
case-by-case basis. Patients who are H4 profile will inevitably be disqualified.

HEARING STANDARDS
Acceptable audiometric hearing levels for Army aircrew members and ATC
Class 500 Hz 1000Hz 2000Hz 3000Hz 4000Hz 6000 Hz *
1/1A 25 25 25 35 45 45
2/3/4 25 25 25 35 55 65
*Isolated hearing loss at 6000 Hz will not require full audiology work-up unless recommended by the local FS or audiologist (i.e., new onset, etc.) and is not considered disqualifying; however, 6000 Hz hearing measurements will be reported for AEDR data base and/or research and academic interest.

INFORMATION REQUIRED: Complete initial audiological evaluation is required to include
pure-tone air conduction testing (and bone conduction if deemed necessary by audiologist or FS), immittance audiometry to include:
tympanometry
acoustic reflex threshold testing
speech reception threshold testing
speech recognition (discrimination) testing in quiet under earphones. Speech recognition testing will be conducted both monaurally and binaurally utilizing the North Western University (NU6) word list material. Monaural testing will be conducted at a sensation level (SL) of 40 decibels (dB). Binaural recognition testing will be conducted at the patient's most comfortable listening level (MCL).

Remember that waivers are not always granted. They may not even consider waivers for some time, who knows. You'll never know unless you try. Good luck.

• 2 months later...

Those are the types of flight physicals. Class 1A would be for commissioned, Class 1 is for warrant officers, Class 2 is for current aviators.. others are flight surgeons, non rated crew members, etc. just google the rest... All you need to be concerned about is Class 1 and Class 1A.

I'm not saying it wont DQ you, you would have to see a flight suregeon. I can try to give you some advice. Send me an email and I'll try to point you in the right direction. It is my username (look at my username) @yahoo.com. I dont want to type it out. Good luck.

Freddy

• 6 months later...

I saw this feed and I have a question if some one can assist, is it worse to have low frequency hearing loss? I am a veteran applying for WOFT. looking at my last audiogram(done in 2015) i have 40 for 1k hz. Is that severe. I am sure it will require a waiver at MEPS. Any advice?