Civilian pilot careers supporting our military

Since I'm too old to go back to the military as a pilot, I was curious if any opportunities exist to fly military aircraft as a civilian. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all of our veterans on this site for there service to our counrty. Thanks in advance for your responses.

go to usajobs.com there are Civilian (Dept of the Army) jobs on there. All (unless there are some out there I don't know about) require that you have a pretty good amount of flight time in the airframe that specific unit is flying. That being said, I haven't a clue what your background is. Either way the DA Civilian pilots are (in my opinion) taken care of.

CHAD

go to usajobs.com there are Civilian (Dept of the Army) jobs on there. All (unless there are some out there I don't know about) require that you have a pretty good amount of flight time in the airframe that specific unit is flying. That being said, I haven't a clue what your background is. Either way the DA Civilian pilots are (in my opinion) taken care of.

CHAD

FLHooker, I just started my private, second career. As a civilian, is there any way to build time in a military airframe ? Unless your prior service and have flight time this might be tough or impossible. Flying and having the pride of serving our country in some capacity would be great. Doesn't hurt to dream.

Rat, if you are looking to build time in a military aircraft (I can't imagine why it matters what you're flying), your closest match would probably be a Bell 206 (civilian version of the OH-58) or Hughes 500 (civilian version of the OH-6).

Customs & Border Protection and LSI won't touch you until you have many hours of experience. Columbia and ERA (and others) also fly civilian versions of military helicopters (the CH-46 and UH-1 respectively), but again, you'll need plenty of experience before they'll talk to you.

Good luck.

Edited by palmfish

• 1 month later...

Rat,

I'm sorry to say, but the previous posts, are pretty accurate. If you are looking at a 'Legacy' airframe, it's difficult, if not impossible to get into as a civilian. As stated before though, Customs does fly the Hawk (UH-60). LSI is also a pretty damn good option. They fly the TH-67 (Bell 206) and teach the up and coming Army Aviators the basics... to include touch down Auto's. Best of luck to you!

CHAD