Looking for a pilot job!

Ok this is my story. Im a current certifed Arizona Police officer for going on 17 years now. I worked for a tribe and was injured to the point I could not return back to the streets. Worked as a regular street officer then moved into a narcotics unit then finally into the investigations unit of the department. Was injured while arresting three subjects. Injury was to my wrist and had to have a couple of surgeries on it. Lost some movement but not much. Was told that I could never return back to the streets due to the fact if I was in a fight again I would run a huge risk of permin. damage to my wrist.

I have a 4 year B.S. degree in Criminal Justice. After recovery recieved my second class medical which I have held since 2004. Went to helicopter school between surgeries and have since obtained my Comm/CFI ratings. I also lack just the check ride for my instrument ticket. All training done in a 300 and I have currently around 300 hours.

What I'm looking for is a department that is looking for a pilot and not someone that has to prove themselves on the street. I think with 17 years I have done this time and time again. Is there anyone out there that knows of such a department?

Thanks for all your responses!

Ok this is my story. Im a current certifed Arizona Police officer for going on 17 years now. I worked for a tribe and was injured to the point I could not return back to the streets. Worked as a regular street officer then moved into a narcotics unit then finally into the investigations unit of the department. Was injured while arresting three subjects. Injury was to my wrist and had to have a couple of surgeries on it. Lost some movement but not much. Was told that I could never return back to the streets due to the fact if I was in a fight again I would run a huge risk of permin. damage to my wrist.

I have a 4 year B.S. degree in Criminal Justice. After recovery recieved my second class medical which I have held since 2004. Went to helicopter school between surgeries and have since obtained my Comm/CFI ratings. I also lack just the check ride for my instrument ticket. All training done in a 300 and I have currently around 300 hours.

What I'm looking for is a department that is looking for a pilot and not someone that has to prove themselves on the street. I think with 17 years I have done this time and time again. Is there anyone out there that knows of such a department?

Thanks for all your responses!

There are departments out there that will hire you "off the street" as a pilot, but not many. As a new hire on any agency, you can't think of it as much a matter of "proving" yourself on the streets, as it is getting in line to get a flying job. You have to remember that there are people already established in that agency that want that job too, so you have to wait your turn. It doesn't really matter how many years of experience you are bringing with you, you would still be a "new guy" with no departmental seniority. I encourage you to do your homework. Join ALEA (if you are in AZ, the ALEA Western Regional Safety Seminar is this week in So. CA.) and start networking. I have seen police pilot jobs listed in the job openings in the PORAC magazine as well. How many hours do you have?

There are departments out there that will hire you "off the street" as a pilot, but not many. As a new hire on any agency, you can't think of it as much a matter of "proving" yourself on the streets, as it is getting in line to get a flying job. You have to remember that there are people already established in that agency that want that job too, so you have to wait your turn. It doesn't really matter how many years of experience you are bringing with you, you would still be a "new guy" with no departmental seniority. I encourage you to do your homework. Join ALEA (if you are in AZ, the ALEA Western Regional Safety Seminar is this week in So. CA.) and start networking. I have seen police pilot jobs listed in the job openings in the PORAC magazine as well. How many hours do you have?

Thanks for your response. I have around 300 hours all in the 300. I currently hold my comm/cfi and just need my check ride for my instrument ticket. I understand what your saying about buying your time in the department but because of my injury to my hand I can not go back to the street. I have been released back to duty but not street duty. any ideas?

911thumper,

I suggest watching the job postings on the web and when a LE flying position comes available, even if the job requires street time, you call them anyway. Maybe, just maybe, you can negotiate your way into a seat. Of course this is a long-shot as most Departments hire within their ranks and if you're unable to join their ranks... well you get my drift. No harm in trying tho... :P

Question, have you considered the commercial helicopter market? Do the CFI thing then move on to the commercial segment of your choice? One option to this alternative may be as a civilian contract pilot for a Department which contracts these services. This route would also open additional doors as you build PIC time. Furthermore, the higher your PIC time, the better off you'll be in the above mentioned negotiations.

Good luck.

Spike.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...