department picking...

ohman

Hello all,

I'm currently in the testing/background-check stage of what will hopefully be a fruitful law enforcement career. As probably guessed, I'm hoping to get into a department with an aviation unit... someday.

My question is, is it necessary to get in with a department that currently operates an r/w unit, or is lateral-ing over in a few years okay?

My gut instinct tells me I should build a reputation with the department I ultimately want to fly for, however, geographics comes into play because their are no depts. locally I would want to join and stay with, but my wife has a good job where we are yadda yadda yadda.

There is lots of speculation here on my part I know, not being in LE yet, but I'm looking to put myself in the best position I can.

Thanks for your help guys.

Hello all,

I'm currently in the testing/background-check stage of what will hopefully be a fruitful law enforcement career. As probably guessed, I'm hoping to get into a department with an aviation unit... someday.

My question is, is it necessary to get in with a department that currently operates an r/w unit, or is lateral-ing over in a few years okay?

My gut instinct tells me I should build a reputation with the department I ultimately want to fly for, however, geographics comes into play because their are no depts. locally I would want to join and stay with, but my wife has a good job where we are yadda yadda yadda.

There is lots of speculation here on my part I know, not being in LE yet, but I'm looking to put myself in the best position I can.

Thanks for your help guys.

Ohman, First off, good luck with your department application. The achievement of getting hired at any Law Enforcement agency nowadays is a huge one. When I got hired at my agency, we did not have an Aviation Unit. That was back in 2000. We purchased our first helicopter (EC-120B) in 2001. I worked the street for about two years prior to beginning my trek to get into the Air Support Unit. I attended a TFO course that the unit put on, and began to ask questions about what I needed to do to put myself into position to get a spot. I obtained all of my fixed wing ratings on my own, and put in for a spot 4 1/2 years later and finally got in...its been all roses from there on out. Personally, I would spend my time at the department that I wanted to fly for. You have to remember that are already Officers there that want that job as bad as you do. In my opinion, it would not be beneficial to start all over on the seniority scale if you lateral over.

Ryan

Some of ALEAs website is open to the public but I don't think a state by state listing is on it. From personal knowledge WA. King Co. Police, Wa. State Patrol (fixed wing), Snohomish Co Sheriff, Chelan Co Sheriff. OR. State Police (fixed wing), Portland PD (fixed wing)Yamhill Co., Lane Co. I think there is also some kind of cooperative effort in the Beaverton area. I hope this helps. If you are REALLY serious you have to consider moving.

If you are REALLY serious you have to consider moving.

Thanks for the help fella's,

I am serious, and am currently looking at Houston with some interest. I sent an email to their recruiter (I didn't know PD's had recruiters), and he informed me they were in the process of hiring close to a thousand officers, as well as getting another helicopter. Sounds tempting to me, any reason I should be on the lookout with Houston?

My wife was born in Dallas, and though we prefer Montana or even the countyside here in WA, neither of us are opposed to Texas.

Thanks all, I respect this forum a ton for insight and advice, keep 'em comin'.