Low flying helicopters in my area

Frontier Rider

Hi folks,

I am new here, first post. I am not a pilot but I have been up in a helicopter a few times. Lately there has been a lot of helicopter traffic in the area and I thought it was just me but a neighbor lady mentioned it also. She mentioned they were flying over low last Friday several times and circling. She thought she could see someone leaning out pointing a large radar type gun toward the ground. Now, we are very rural here so, it could be they are just looking at power lines or gas transmission lines or doing road surveys but, they could also be looking for people in the area growing pot or something else illegal. No, I am not aware of anyone doing this in the area but, I am very curious as to what they are doing. If there is a safety concern or something of that nature- fugitive in the area etc., it would be nice to know. Is there a source for this kind of information anywhere? The FAA flight plans or something.

I figure, I may not know what all helicopters might be used for in these areas but, you who are into that might just be able to shed some clarity on the curious mind. Thanks in advance.

;)

• Like 1

In any case, you pretty much covered the basics for low-level helicopter activity...except maybe game-capture...although a fugitive would be exciting! :ph34r: Get the N number, look up the registration, call the company and ask wassup in a FRIENDLY NON-COMPLAINT way and you might get your answer! Or just sit back in your lawn chair, close your eyes, and enjoy the sweet sound of blade slap... :P

Good luck.

HG03

Have you seen the "series" of videos from the nutjob in Mesa, AZ who thinks he's being persecuted by the PD air wing?
Nope, but I saw the ones from the guy in San Antonio who thought the same thing. Except the helicopters in question were obviously EMS.

Goldy just revealed the real reason we enjoy flying helicopters. Topless sunbathers.

• Like 1

Frontier- I didnt mean to completely hijack your post, just goofing off. However, helo's can fly basically as low as they want/need as long as they can safely land in the event of an emergency. There are a ton of reasons why there may be helo's in the area. Military ops can come and go, in fact , just yesterday I had a military BlackHawk hovering 300 feet over Eagle Rock ( suburb of L.A.)...thats not something you would have ever seen 10 years ago, and I am not about to ask them what they were doing !!

There are certain routes that over time become familiar to local pilots and they use them to transition from one area to another...getting the N number and sending a note to the owner is not a bad idea, they may make adjustments just to be good neighbors. In Los Angeles, we have areas where we voluntarily avoid, or fly at 1000 feet above ground to minimize disruptions.

I would be curious what response you get, should you get ahold of the owner.

Good Luck,

Goldy

Sounds like you have a baaarrrrrr. :P Sorry (talk like a pirate day and such), if they have what looks like a "radar gun" out the door, they are probably tracking some type of critter that is wearing a radio collar. Around here it is bear, wolf, badger, elk, moose, field mice :rolleyes: and any other animal they can get their grubby little hands on. So far I don't think they have put the collars on people yet. but I know one wife and one husband that would have liked them. :o

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, I just joined to see if I could find an answer to this question in MY area!

I am in rural Columbia County, Oregon and there has been this sleek looking black helicopter flying low over and over and over our property and the neighboring properties. It is scaring my free-range poultry, and bothering me, because it is scaring my poultry... :D

I noticed it yesterday (Saturday) and today (Sunday... early Sunday morning... :angry: )

It woke me up this morning, grrrr, and scared all of my birds so they ran shrieking past my window. Coyote! Nope... Helicopter...

It's been driving my poultry guardian dog nuts. She is trained to intercept overhead flying predators... Guess what she thinks the helicopter is? Biggest Crow she's ever seen! If she could catch it, it would be in shreds. I've had to bring her in these past two days as she was running herself ragged just doing her job. Why are they so interested in my 10 acre farm? I'm not growing anything 'interesting', just birds! LOL!

It is moving kind of fast, and I haven't been able to identify it or see any numbers.

Like the other poster, I'm wondering if there is a way to find out what the heck they are doing???

I was thinking searching for someone? We haven't had any notice from the cops that there is anyone dangerous running loose...

Army Corp of Engineers checking the dikes?

Taking pictures for Google Earth?

Checking out the rivers? (Columbia and Clatskanie)?

How do I find out?

Would the Fire Department or Police in the area know? I'm hesitant to call them about a flying helicopter.....

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Would the Fire Department or Police in the area know? I'm hesitant to call them about a flying helicopter.....

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

They might know....but they dont have to be notified. Again, helo's can and do fly low sometimes....power line patrols are common at 300 feet or closer. Real estate speculators checking out land for sale or photographers. Marijuana scouting by law enforcement, dam patrols, fish & game, ....the list goes on and on.

If you posted a picture, someone would probably recognize the ship.

MOST private helicopters are not painted black by the way.....However I have seen plenty of state and federal and military ships in that particular color...

Goldy

Precision Helicopters in Newburg, OR has a black EC-130, or they used to anyway, they might be running some sort of commercial operation up your way. Not sure, just speculation. There is a couple of people on here from Precision so maybe one of them will chime in here soon.

Precision Helicopters in Newburg, OR has a black EC-130, or they used to anyway, they might be running some sort of commercial operation up your way. Not sure, just speculation. There is a couple of people on here from Precision so maybe one of them will chime in here soon.

Last I looked it was still there, but I haven't heard any talk of poultry farm tours lol.