electronic logbook

heli.pilot

Hi there, I was wondering if there is anyone out there using electronic logbook software that they would recommend? An electronic logbook seems like a good way to go, being able to create custom data fields such as "high d/a" or "photo flight" etc. I'm just not sure which brand of software to go with. Any thoughts??

I like Logbook Pro personally.. Had it for a while and have had no problems..

Ryan

I'm cheap, I downloaded the free excel version on the web, use it all the time. I think it was on this site under downloads...

Goldy

I use Safelog, you can custom data fields too. It has Safelogweb for me to log my flights from any computer and also an online backup as well as. You can get reports online right at your interview if you get asked for something you didn't bring.

I keep seperate paper logbooks for each type of aircraft I fly and combine them with Safelog for getting reports.

Jerry

I use Logbook Pro. I hate it, but because I haven't found anything better out there, I continue to use it. The reports don't give much in terms of useful information. I usually have to export the rows to MS Excel and then analyze them that way. There is a "History" section where you can track info like your medical certificate, but it isn't smart enough to downgrade a 1st class medical to a 2nd class medical and a 2nd class medical to a 3rd class medical when the time periods expire. It does have options to add additional categories, which I believe is one of your requirements.

Before using Logbook Pro, I wrote my own SQL database with a web-interface front end. I'm more than happy to send you the files if you have any interest in using it. The advantage of it over Logbook Pro is that if you know SQL you can run reports on anything you want...but again, I started using Logbook Pro because of the easier user interface.

Thanks for your rapid responses people! Never posted here before - is everyone here this prompt and helpful??!!

The two front runners for me so far are Logbook Pro and Safelog, so glad to see that you guys mostly seem to be using one of those two.

Thanks Robert Schapiro for your offer to send me the database you wrote, however I think I'd be in over my head trying to figure it out! Not even sure what SQL is to tell you the truth!! You're obviously in a different league of computer skills to me! :unsure:

For all of you who chose Logbook Pro over Safelog...

- what made you choose Logbook pro?

- was there something specific you didn't like about Safelog?

Thanks again everyone

PS I'm thinking about getting a Blackberry, and thought it would be a nice feature to be able to use it for logging my flights. It looks like Safelog works on the Blackberry, I'm not sure about Logbook Pro or any other software - any thoughts?

I made the switch from logbook pro to safelog and I'm loving it. I have to commend Dauntless on their efforts to keep their software up to date and add new features based on user need.

I use their test prep software... so far I'm a big Dauntless fan.

I use LogBook Pro mostly because of the PDA feature. I do wish there was a way to customize the info that gets loaded into the PDA though. Personally, I haven't run into any problems with logbook pro's reporting. The analyzer is fairly useful for breaking down reports to get what you need, but I can certainly understand how someone familiar with SQL would be frustrated. LBP runs an Access database, the Yugo to SQL's Ferrari.

I initially bought it for two things. 1) A backup to my logbook and 2) the ability to auto generate 8710's. Pretty shallow requirements. I don't have any experience with SafeLog, so I can't really compare.

Safelog here and as with all the Dauntless software I've used, I love it. You can customize almost everythig, reports are easy to do, and I can update it from anywhere online. Be sure to get it early in your training. I waited a few months and had to transfer several pages from my paper logbook to it, that took a while to do.

• 4 weeks later...

Another for logbook pro here.

And take the earlier advice of starting it early in training, no matter what program you end up choosing. It took me 30+ hrs to transfer my hrs. What a royal pain in the A!!.

I have found the search and filter features very useful for things like insurance forms and resume info.

BW

• 9 years later...

I fly in Switzerland as a freelance pilot and flight instructor and use the ROTAIR FlightLog which has all I need. Specially the Swiss mountain landing places and it is able to add all custom fields I need. If I write reviews in the App store it doesn’t cost my anything :) !

I tried them all and ended up with excel pilot log book. It's a 1 time fee (as opposed to yearly) and highly modifiable to meet your specific needs. It will run on a Mac in Numbers.