contacts at guard units?

Who would one call in order to find out about slots and all? if you talk to the recruiters they tell you that you cant talk to anyone at the units. and even if you were to speak to anyone that they would not tell you anything. so who are you guys talking to in order to hear stuff back from the SAO and all? I am unable to find anything about the warrant officer strength manager or anything like that. i am getting absolutely no help whatsoever. and i am unsure what needs to be done in order to ensure that everything that i need to get accomplished actually gets done.

Henry,

I sent you a PM earlier today. Also, I would advise visiting whichever unit you are interested in person. I'm not sure what the recruiters are up to that you have talked to, but the SAO in Idaho is open to talk to prospective folks as are most of the full time staff at the flight facility.

Bob

i am interested in texas. im having trouble choosing arng or ar. I have been to the unit on several occasions, only to have recruiters say that noone at thew unit has time to speak to you. I am extremely hesitant to sign up with a unit that has no time for you BEFORE you enlist. thats usually when you get showered with attention. I didnt get your PM yet either. but it seems like this site takes a while to process things. I really hope i can get this stuff squared away. Who, of the fulltime unit staff, should I ask for when I go up there? I am not new to the military just new to aviation, so i am not sure of the titles of those that I should be speaking with.

Henry

Here is a web page I found:

http://www.agd.state.tx.us/rr/warrant_officer.htm

Look at the bottom, there is a CW2 and a MAJ that can help you.

I had a four year break in service from active duty and met with the Operations officer (MAJ/LTC) and spoke with him for quite some time. I had all my most recent resume, all my OER's, my ORB, school certificates, etc placed in plastic sheet protectors and put into a big binder in logical order with tabs. After we spoke and he sent me off to meet with his folks. I left the binder in his office so he could flip through it at his leisure. I recommend this because I had several senior warrants comment on the book when it came time for them to look at it also. You will eventually interview with them (senior warrants) also. Just one more way to prove you are worthy of the training $$$.

As for the ARNG vs USAR.... I assume you are aware of the command structure and who owns you in each. Here are my experiences & opinions: I originally looked at and interviewed at a USAR unit. I was 'accepted' but had absolutely no help in getting from 'here to there' when trying to get back into the IRR and then get pulled into the unit. In other words, IMHO it was a lot like big army and you are on your own.

The Guard was completely different. I emailed the Flight Ops officer (CW2), then we talked on the phone and he set up an interview with the BN CDR / OPs Officer - (MAJ/LTC) The OP's officer wanted to know who I was, what I wanted out of the Guard, and then sat with me and explained every option I had available. Heck, he even gave me his home contact info so that my wife could speak to his wife for any questions I hadn't asked for her. When I started the paperwork to get back in it was all done in coordination with the Warrant Officer Strength manager (CW2P). He helped me do a large amount of the stuff and pointed me in the right direction if I hit a speed bump. It makes me smile thinking about the dichotomy. Night and Day. So far I love the Guard. Much better than active duty. The Guard seems like they need you and want you to be happy with the job and stay till retirement. Your mileage may vary. Also, I was already a rated aviator and you will have a few more hoops to jump through.

I recommend you also go to APTAP.org Sign up, search the forums, and then ask for some contact info.

Good Luck

P.S. I have EXTREME issues with the recruiter telling you that the unit 'has no time for you'. My recommendation is to stay away from that recruiter. That recruiter isn't trying to talk you out of a WOC slot is he? How many WO packets has he put together? This issue is very strange. Talk directly to the unit. Call the unit, schedule time on a NON drill day (week day) when things are relaxed and meet with the key leaders when they have time set aside for you. i.e. BN CDR/OPs officer, SIP (Standardization Instructor Pilot), or other senior warrants. This way the key people that you meet with can clear their desk and get an uninterrupted view of you. It also gives you a look at THEM to ascertain the command climate. If you like it, then go back on a drill weekend to chat with M-Day folks.

Edited by BillyBob

this all sounds perfect. this is the type of info that i was hoping to get. I understand that i will be nothing other than another name unless i sit down and talk with them. i am very charismatic, and with s=the number of people wanting to fill slots, you need every advantage you can get. i think these guys that i am dealing with have not done WO packets. they are giving me the typical "go enlisted" bs route. i DO NOT want to rejoin unless i get a WO slot. PERIOD. So does anyone know if ARNG of Texas offers the 09W Mos? I have zero desire to go back enlisted. Not trying to be a jerk, i just know what i want, and i dont have the time to play around with these guys wanting to enlist and then submit.

Also, Don't forget the S1 (Personnel) officer... he/she is responsible for the pilot slots for the entire battalion, and SHOULD know what's available, what will be available, and when the next board is... Also, the S1 should be a full timer.

CHAD

1. What pilot slots that have currently open

2. How many slots do they project to have over the next year/couple of years

3. When the next interview board is

4. Is there anything that the S1 can suggest you put into your packet

5. Is there anyone around that would assist you in your packet

Remember, the S1 has the BN Co's ear... If you make a good impression on him/her, it very well could get back to the Co. Spend time there, if it doesn't seem like he is kicking you out, stay... Make sure he knows you have done your homework on the unit, their mission, etc... This will interest him. Dress appropriately, but don't over do it. Be organized, etc... First impressions mean alot. especially considering, the S1 will probably be on the board.

CHAD

• 1 month later...

This is a couple months old, but I'm just seeing it. Is there any update?

And FYI, for you or anyone else that's trying to figure this out...

The guy at SAO who you need to talk to is CW2 Matt Smith. If you'll PM me an email address, I'll put you in touch.

If you are in the Houston area, I'm the guy you need to initially meet with. If you're looking at a different BN (meaning San Antonio, Dallas, Austin) then I can plug you into my counter part over there.

The OIC is fully informed (by me) of who is in the applicant pipeline, but he doesn't have time to run a BN that's flying everyday while planning for AT & prepping for two inspections, and also meet with every kid off the street that thinks top gun was a cool movie. I check out your qual's and answer your questions/explain your options, then you meet with one of two CPTs who have to give you a recommendation. At that point you can AFAST/physical if you haven't already, and I set all that up for you. Once you're go on all that, then I schedule you to interview with the OIC. If he signs off then you'll also meet with the facility commander and BN Cmdr, but they'll both go off the OIC's recommendation, as will the SAO later in the process. I facilitate your packet throughout, with weekly status updates to BN OIC, BDE, and SAO.

THEN your packet goes to Mr Smith. Once he get's it administratively correct & back-checks your details, then he'll put you in front of a board & book you some school dates.

In answer to a couple of your questions...

1) We have over 30 vacant WO pilot slots right now in just my BN

2) You cannot enlist for 09W. That is for technical WOs who are predetermined and boarded prior to enlisting based on prior service in a feeder MOS or IT background. For AV, you must be in the guard to apply. So, you do have to enlist first. For prior-service, I recommend a try-one contract. For non-prior service I can work with you on some options. Either way, we're not recruiting command & you can be confident we're not trying to screw you. Also, TXARNG policy is you have to be in the TXARNG for one year before you can board. You can certainly use that time though building your packet & taking care of all the requirements.

3) If you come to us with a half-built packet in plastic sleeves & a binder, we'll be impressed that you're on the ball. Then, we'll take it all out of that annoying stuff, throw away the 60% of it we don't need, put it in the actually required order, toss it all in a folder, and at some point one of us will drop it off in Austin.

4) I would concur with recommendations that you come visit the unit during the week and during drill. You may have to be patient, but we will take care of you. You'll see the facility/airframe to get a sense of what we do, and talk to a couple experienced commissioned guys and couple WOs. You won't get sugar coated recruiter treatment. The last guy I sat put in front of them got a "why the hell would you want to do this," conversation from three separate people.

4) I would concur with recommendations that you come visit the unit during the week and during drill. You may have to be patient, but we will take care of you. You'll see the facility/airframe to get a sense of what we do, and talk to a couple experienced commissioned guys and couple WOs. You won't get sugar coated recruiter treatment. The last guy I sat put in front of them got a "why the hell would you want to do this," conversation from three separate people.

Dang, i wish you were in MN, i too am looking to go the same route. I know absolutly nobody in Army Aviation near me, so I kinda feel like i'm going out on a limb calling up a unit and asking for a "favor".

Thanks for the info, these contributions are what make this forum so awsome!

It's not a favor, it's my job. You have to earn a spot, we don't give those to anyone. I'm sure whoever is in MN is the same way. Just find a unit, take same initiative, go meet them. It's not the best way to do things, but it's better than sitting on your butt waiting for osmosis to get this done for you.

lol, osmosis..

Sorry for reffering to it as a "favor", I didnt mean to offend anyone. I'm a newbie at how this all work's, and i will call up a local NG base for an "interview" (for lack of better terms). I would get a kick out of going to an air base and being able to talk to the pilots. To me that would be a good time. ( i know... i have no life.)

No, interview is a great word for it. That's exactly what it is.

Far as Utah, I was at basic a few years ago with a guy going OCS to branch AV with them, but I really don't know anyone over there. I would imagine they're like everyone else - in need of WOs & not so much commissioned.

I think I explained before... they give us enough money to train SOME folks up from scratch, but not enough slots to man out our units. We're reliant on guys coming over from active duty to fill out the roster. In the past that was good cause guys would want to stay in, but would get off active duty to pursue a civilian flying job. Whereas in the current wartime situation, guys are either staying in or getting out all together cause they don't want to deploy anymore. That leaves us all shorthanded. It's still by no means easy, but there's a lot of opportunity out there if you're willing to take the initiative and grab it.

Far as Utah, I was at basic a few years ago with a guy going OCS to branch AV with them, but I really don't know anyone over there. I would imagine they're like everyone else - in need of WOs & not so much commissioned.

Thanks for the help dnall. I have a meeting with a recruiter on Monday so hopefully he can answer a few of my questions.

When you say go meet people at the unit, is it alright to just show up and start asking questions? I'm not too familiar with military rules and would rather not get into trouble.

I called up a local NG aviation unit yesterday, and asked if i could interview for a possible LOR for my packet, and the fella i talked to gave me a very "bleak" response (at best).

His aviation unit is located about 70miles from my home, and he recomended me to a closer NG aviation base. But he told me to "just show up" and there should be some pilots that i can talk to there..

Does this sound "right"?? Am i going to get shot at if i "just show up" at an army base and start asking questions??

I guess my concers mirror Hallsy's.

I would not just show up.You may find yourself on the other side of a fence, literally, with noone to let you through. You are much better off talking to the S1 and telling them you want to come out and take a look around. Then, when you get out there, try to meet as many people as yyou can. If you get contact info from other people, they may help you past road blocks that the S1 may have constructed, intentionally or as a consequence of beiing too busy. It never helps to have as many friends on the inside as possible.

I got in our unit by meeting a fellow pilot at the Navy flying club. He gave me some contacts at the guard unit. It took nearly a year to join and another 10 months to get an AQC slot. I had a lot of prior military flight time from the navy. How well you are accepted and whether you can get a flight slot will depend on the following:

1. How many pilot slots are vacant
  2. How motivated the unit thinks you are
  3. How likely they think you are to get through training and stick around
  4. Budget/quatas available (This is what slowed me down so much.)
  5. Your prior experience

I would not just show up.You may find yourself on the other side of a fence, literally, with noone to let you through. You are much better off talking to the S1 and telling them you want to come out and take a look around. Then, when you get out there, try to meet as many people as yyou can. If you get contact info from other people, they may help you past road blocks that the S1 may have constructed, intentionally or as a consequence of beiing too busy. It never helps to have as many friends on the inside as possible.

I got in our unit by meeting a fellow pilot at the Navy flying club. He gave me some contacts at the guard unit. It took nearly a year to join and another 10 months to get an AQC slot. I had a lot of prior military flight time from the navy. How well you are accepted and whether you can get a flight slot will depend on the following:

1. How many pilot slots are vacant
  2. How motivated the unit thinks you are
  3. How likely they think you are to get through training and stick around
  4. Budget/quatas available (This is what slowed me down so much.)
  5. Your prior experience

This is all 100% correct!! Very good response.

I guess what I'm saying is... recruiters are mostly worthless for this cause they don't deal with it.

You need to get with the unit, interview with the OIC and/or facility commander (however they have it set up), complete the qualification process (GT, AFAST, physical), get in the guard of course (which probably means basic and maybe AIT), then get your packet done & get to training.

It would be preferable for you to get in touch with the unit and set up a time you can come in to talk to some folks, and maybe even interview. But, if you're sitting at home spinning your wheels cause you can't get in touch with them, then I would go down there in person to accomplish the same thing as that phone call - ie, set up another time you can come back & check them out. If you do this though, it is your first impression on the unit, so I would think of it as part of the interview process.

Another route is to have the recruiter put you in touch with the unit and/or take you over there to touch base.

Hallsy,

Utah is where I"m from and I talked to a few guys at the 211th there before I decided to go active duty. There were a few guys I went through SERE with from there. If you still need some info I'll get in touch with my old commander (I was Air Guard) and see if he cant get me some names of people to put you in touch with, just keep me updated of your status and I'll help with what I can. I'm just another knucklehead here at Rucker so my help may be pretty limited.