Flight Physical for application to WOFT program

• 1 month later...
Lot more eye stuff. EKG. stupid read out loud test. bit more blood. And at least the way I've always done it is over a couple visits (lab results come back before you see the flight surgeon).

Once I complete the flight physical, I'm assuming that I'll have to wait until the results come back before I can be boarded at the USAREC Battalion level?

How long do they take? I mean I've read posts on here mentioning that sometimes it takes weeks if not months to receive those results? I'm trying to get everything submitted for my WOFT Packet by April 1, which the cutoff for the May board.

I'm trying to get everything submitted for my WOFT Packet by April 1, which the cutoff for the May board.

Looks like we're in the same "boat" my friend. My recriuter is "supposed" to be setting us up for alittle trip to Colorado.

It's supposed to be ten business days on average. It doesn't take months unless it gets lost in the shuffle or there's a problem that needs further review.

Alright. This may be a question with a rather obvious answer but do the results from the flight physical need to be back before I can be boarded at least at the USAREC Battalion level? I would assume so right?!

Looks like we're in the same "boat" my friend. My recriuter is "supposed" to be setting us up for alittle trip to Colorado.

CO huh? Is that the closest place that you can do a flight physical at? I was living around the north central MN area, Brainerd in fact.

My recruiter said it was either Co or Tennesse.... those are the two closest aviation med units. Though lately I feel like i've been getting the "run around". Good luck with your packet Marine, maybe if fate see's it fit, we'll be in training togeather. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone tell me or point me in the direction of a listing of military installations offering the class 1A flight physical in south FL????

I'm going down to NAS Key West on Tuesday as a "walk in" because when my recruiter called to schedule one there they said they were booked through April! The same with Patrick AFB. Please keep your fingers crossed they'll take me so I don't have to wait!

I'm going down to NAS Key West on Tuesday as a "walk in" because when my recruiter called to schedule one there they said they were booked through April!

I was just gunna PM you and ask how that was going. I've been waiting just over a month for acceptance and approval. Even though everything has been approved, I'm still waiting for the date, that should be confirmed tomarow and i should be in CO in the next two weeks.

Just keep at it man, it'll happen for ya.

I was just gunna PM you and ask how that was going. I've been waiting just over a month for acceptance and approval. Even though everything has been approved, I'm still waiting for the date, that should be confirmed tomarow and i should be in CO in the next two weeks.

Just keep at it man, it'll happen for ya.

What do you mean by 'acceptance and approval'? Are you referring to the x,y,z of everything else required in the WOFT packet besides an approved flight physical? Or are you talking about the recruiter working things out on his end and it taking him over a month to schedule your class 1A flight physical as well? Please clarify.

*I know only what i'm told* so take it for what its worth....

My recriuter sumbitted a request for my 1A physical in the middle to end of Feb... (keep in mind i'm civilian) i talked to him today, and he said it has been fully approved, but we're just waiting for them to give us the date, which will hopfully be tomarow, and will put us in Co in ~2weeks.

*I know only what i'm told* so take it for what its worth....

My recriuter sumbitted a request for my 1A physical in the middle to end of Feb... (keep in mind i'm civilian) i talked to him today, and he said it has been fully approved, but we're just waiting for them to give us the date, which will hopfully be tomarow, and will put us in Co in ~2weeks.

I like your disclaimer there. Very pertinent to recruiters. However, if something is important enough to you and you have a goal in your line of sight, you should never let it be 100% in someones hands. Follow up with your own things. Granted you are a civilian, and you don't have as much knowledge and know your way around as much as someone in the military but still. Hound the crap out of him. I'm not sure on your personal relationship with him/her but don't be worried about hurting anyone's feelings. They need you and you need them. Nobody cares about your wants/needs/desires/hopes/goals/dreams more than YOU do.

The day my conditional release came through, I had him calling the three major Naval Air Stations/Air Force Bases in south FL. They all said they were booked through April so I looked up every friggen daggawn AFB/NAS in the state and gave him phone#'s and names that day so he could call them.

The first plan of action we came up with was for me to hitch a ride with a civilian applicant and his recruiter who had a 'scheduled' physical on Tuesday and "hope" they take me as a walk on. The contingency plans are still in the works but will involve finishing contacting all other AFB/NAS in the state and taking the earliest available date.

Well, i guess my disclaimer should have had a disclaimer... lol

I visit the WO recruiting website almost daily, so i feel i have "a clue" as to what is supposed to happen. But what ever is on the recruiters side of the duties is out of my hands, soo....

Just keep at it man, you'll get there, you seem to have alot of ambition.

Edited by 1badz32

Thanks. I'll be on here posting just as soon as I return from Key West on Tuesday night I'm sure. From what I'm reading by the time I leave there I should have a good idea of whether everything went smoothly except for the lab work which takes time of course to receive the results. Good luck with getting a physical scheduled for yourself.

Well I completed the physical yesterday. Just waiting for the lab work to come in about 4-5 business days. I'm assuming everything should be good with it.

There's a lot of tests with the eyes. I hated the part where they put drops in them that burn like hell to dilate your pupils and check for rips, cracks or tears of the membrane. Others include checking depth perception by reading a 3D chart, the normal near and farsightedness check by looking into the headset and reading lines, looking into a machine and focusing on a picture and the machine automatically going in and out of focus etc. Also testing your field of vision by touching your nose with the tip of your finger then looking right at the flight surgeon and without deviating your eyes touching his/her finger wherever it may be.

Other tests include: hearing, mobility of every joint in your body, center balance, anthropomorphic (sitting height, wingspan, crotch height) measurements, HGT, WT, TEMP, blood pressure, chest X-rays, EKG, lab work and last but not least, a full dental exam and X-rays.

From what I was told you need to be a dental class 1 or 2 to pass.

I asked the flight surgeon when she was doing the final checkup and signing off on the physical whether or not she thought me being a class 2 dental would be an issue with the flight surgeons at Ft. Rucker. Even with her being a fixed wing and rotary wing pilot as well as a flight surgeon with her extensive knowledge she couldn't really tell me what their criteria were. I know that what really counts is the approval of my class 1A flight physical by Rucker's flight surgeons. So time will tell.

Next Friday I'm going back to MEPS in Miami because apparently they just passed some memos down the chain to the recruiting offices that prior service applicants even with current physicals still have to have them re-done. We're gonna knock out my security interview then as well.

Any idea of what class 1 or class 2 dental consist's of? I'm pretty sure i have more fillings then teeth, and there is some enamel loss. (thank's Mt Dew) Apart from that and my wieght (~220lbs) i have 0 health issues.

But I'm really getting the impression that none of that matter's, atleast in the near future, unless i find a new recriuter.

From AR 40-3:

(1) Class 1 are patients with a current dental examination, who do not require dental treatment or reevaluation. Class

1 patients are worldwide deployable.

(2) Class 2 are patients with a current dental examination, who require nonurgent dental treatment or reevaluation

for oral conditions which are unlikely to result in dental emergencies within 12 months. Class 2 patients are worldwide

deployable.

(3) Class 3 patients who require urgent or emergent dental treatment. Class 3 patients are normally not considered to

be worldwide deployable.

(4) Class 4 are patients who require dental examinations. This includes patients who require annual or other required

dental examinations and patients whose dental classifications are unknown.

• 1 month later...

My recruiter got a fax today from Ft. Rucker saying my 1W physical did not meet qualifications because it was missing a depth perception test when I know 100% for sure that I was administered one at NAS Key West during the 1A flight physical! Also the only other reason listed was "possibe metabolic condition." I have no idea what that means LOL .Wow this is frustrating haha.

I too have a 'metabolic problem' ... called hypothyroidism. Got the waiver in 2 days. Then of course It had to be sent up to santa in the north pole, that took nearly a month. You need to know what the problem is, then work the issue

I too have a 'metabolic problem' ... called hypothyroidism. Got the waiver in 2 days. Then of course It had to be sent up to santa in the north pole, that took nearly a month. You need to know what the problem is, then work the issue

Santa...North Pole...LMFAO

Well once he comes back from leave we're gonna try and find out what the issue is. I'm guessing calling the aeromed clinic at NAS Key west or Ft. Rucker?!