I would be willing to fly your R-44 for my expenses. I would be able to fly any time after April 5. I have 500 hrs in a 44 and 1530 TT with a comerical license. Let me know if your interested

Selling yourself a little short there Chopper Tom, dont you think? With over 1500TT you should be able to find yourself a real job at this point. I can maybe understand guys with less than 300 hours offering for cost, just for the hours to become hire-able as an instructor, but with 1500 hours, most of them presumably from a year or 2 instructing, you should show yourself a little more respect than to fly for free.

Or maybe the industry is worse than I thought!! :huh:

Darren Hughes

I am currently a police chief and fly for fun right now. I will be looking for an aviation job soon, but I have found it to be a tough market. I dont really want to leave MN too bad (not alot of opportunities in MN). I will be trying to fly EMS shortly. I dont think I am selling myself short. If I can help someone along the way, why not.

Chopper Tom

Selling yourself a little short there Chopper Tom, dont you think? With over 1500TT you should be able to find yourself a real job at this point. I can maybe understand guys with less than 300 hours offering for cost, just for the hours to become hire-able as an instructor, but with 1500 hours, most of them presumably from a year or 2 instructing, you should show yourself a little more respect than to fly for free.

Or maybe the industry is worse than I thought!! :huh:

DH did you wake up in a bad mood today? It looks like MilehhiR44 is taking all offers. Probably hoping someone will do it for nothing including expenses just for the R44 time.

Everyone's goal is personal and should be treated that way with respect. I admire everyone here on this web site that is interested in flying helicopters. Each has a goal and a purpose. Not all have decided to take the same route to get to the final job, but I bet each have had the same desire and worked hard to make it come true. Its not easy out there and we all know it and we all must keep our head up and keep reaching for our goal.

Fly safe,

MHF

Right but somone with 1500 hours should be charging for his services, otherwise the rest of us look bad when we try to do it. The guys that should be doing it for expenses are the guys with 200-999 that are trying to get 1000 to get into the job market.

I too had to go through the hoops for the helicopter time. You need a 1000 hrs to get a job, well I need 2000 to get an EMS job. I dont beleive in breaking someone for something I enjoy doing. I treat people how I would like to be treated. Why is it a problem for me to offer my services for what it would cost me. When you get to that point, you can charge what ever you want.

One dollar, two dollar, three dollar, four. Hey it’s tough when you have to bid on a job sometimes. But how much could you make if you charge. Hum, well there is about 10 hours of flight time here for bids. If you charge $20.00 an hour to fly to Denver that’s around $200.00. But if you take in to account you might burn up to 4 days to do it giving some time for delays (weather or other). Unless you live in the area then it might only take you 2 to 3 days. Not a good return if you ask me. But hey helicopter time is helicopter time.

What we have here is a guy who needs a helicopter relocated and a pool of pilots to choose from. My bet is he will choose the best deal within reason. If I were him I would do it myself. If he isn’t comfortable flying it that far or what ever the reason I would hire a CFI to go with and pay for his flight home. But that’s just me because I need the flight time.

On a final note, there is one thing you can say about speculation. You can do a lot of it and it will get you no where.

Looking for Ferry pilot to fly my R44 home in the next 30 days. Little Rock to Denver area. Offers? Deals? Proposals? Please respond here or by private message.

i would be interested in doing that for you i would just ask to pay fuel costs and get me out there ad back with a little meal money. call me 919-616-0301

this is stupid!!! If u ferry a AC as a comm pilot you get paid, U R doing a service. this stuff should not be done for free. If a guy hires a pilot to move a AC he is expecting to pay a qualified pilot.

We get a couple Hundred $$$ a day for ferrying planes Fixed wing or Coppters.

Don't you just love the posts when someone makes with a vague description of what they want and it turns into some 50 replies of people speculating about it?

Here's my 2 cents on the whole thing. If he wanted to hire a ferry pilot he would have gone to Barnstormers or Trade-A- Plane and found one. It looks like there are plenty of professional people willing to Ferry a helicopter. Not a hard find. I would be willing to bet he could find an instructor willing also.

Just because you have a commercial license doesn't mean you have to exercise the privileges.

I have read on this site many times people are trying to get to the 1000 hour mark to get into the job market. I don't think everyone has the same goals and no one should be critized when you don't know all the facts. Whether you have 200, 1000, 1500,or 20,000 hours if you want to help someone out doesn't mean you have to charge for it!!

If you are looking to make money on flying, then I doubt that you will find it on this site. There is just to much competition for flight time.

i guess people feel the need to rip people off. You need to remember where you came from. you had 0 hours once as well. Not everyone can afford to pay you for every little thing he wants done. chances are if you purchase a helicopter you won't have enough money to pay for pilots crap. if you want a piloting job then either buy one, go millitary, ems or law enforcement but don't critisize people for helping others. Greed will get you no where.

i guess people feel the need to rip people off. You need to remember where you came from. you had 0 hours once as well. Not everyone can afford to pay you for every little thing he wants done. chances are if you purchase a helicopter you won't have enough money to pay for pilots crap. if you want a piloting job then either buy one, go millitary, ems or law enforcement but don't critisize people for helping others. Greed will get you no where.

Your right HLPRISES, and thats why all the flight schools agree to sell us 200 hours of flight time and instruction at cost <_ .>

Get real dude, it's not about being greedy. It's about putting food on the table and paying the bills. It's about blowing $60K+ on training and then working for less than minimum wage for 2 years to get to 1000-1500 hours. None of us got into this business to make it rich, or out of greed. Most, on the contrary got into it to help people after they got the necessary experience to qualify for EMS, Law Enforcement, Fire Fighting or Search & Rescue. It's about being a professional and getting reimbursed accordingly. And, It's most certainly about those poor bastards out there that are risking their bodies to get there, while not being able to afford even basic medical insurance.

So it seems that Chopper Tom has paid for most of his flight time up to this point, as I'd imagine becoming and being a police chief doesn't lend itself to kindly to working as a CFI to get the time. And well done to him for getting himself into a position to do that. It sounds like he wants to do the flight more for fun than anything else. I thought initially he was an experienced CFI.

I believe that low time instructors should take what they can get, but I'm just trying to get the point across that CFI's of over 1000 hours should have a little more respect for themselves and their experience, and not be selling themselves for free. It sets a bad precedent and will only lead to bad things for the industry as a whole.

This is not aimed at MilehHiR44, but at what HLPRISES said. Ferrying a helicopter is not a little job, and any person who buys a helicopter, can't ferry it themselves, or can't afford a pilot to do it for them, couldn't afford the helicopter in the first place.

Your right HLPRISES, and thats why all the flight schools agree to sell us 200 hours of flight time and instruction at cost <_< .

Get real dude, it's not about being greedy. It's about putting food on the table and paying the bills. It's about blowing $60K+ on training and then working for less than minimum wage for 2 years to get to 1000-1500 hours. None of us got into this business to make it rich, or out of greed. Most, on the contrary got into it to help people after they got the necessary experience to qualify for EMS, Law Enforcement, Fire Fighting or Search & Rescue. It's about being a professional and getting reimbursed accordingly. And, It's most certainly about those poor bastards out there that are risking their bodies to get there, while not being able to afford even basic medical insurance.

So it seems that Chopper Tom has paid for most of his flight time up to this point, as I'd imagine becoming and being a police chief doesn't lend itself to kindly to working as a CFI to get the time. And well done to him for getting himself into a position to do that. It sounds like he wants to do the flight more for fun than anything else. I thought initially he was an experienced CFI.

I believe that low time instructors should take what they can get, but I'm just trying to get the point across that CFI's of over 1000 hours should have a little more respect for themselves and their experience, and not be selling themselves for free. It sets a bad precedent and will only lead to bad things for the industry as a whole.

This is not aimed at MilehHiR44, but at what HLPRISES said. Ferrying a helicopter is not a little job, and any person who buys a helicopter, can't ferry it themselves, or can't afford a pilot to do it for them, couldn't afford the helicopter in the first place.

no further comment on this topic do what you want but the more you give the more you will receive.

If you want to donate your time for flying, there are a few good charitable organizations out there: i.e. Angel Flight, Civil Air Patrol, etc. I'm all for helping out friends too. Otherwise, I have to agree with DH.

Hypothetically, let's say you're being sued for $1,500,000. You need an attorney! Go to trials-r-us internet forum and post a thread that you are being sued and need an attorney to represent you. You get several responses, but one looks really promising. He's a young free-lance attorney who really knows his stuff, but doesn't have much trial experience. In fact, if he takes a few more cases like yours to trial he might just get hired by that prestigious law firm he has always dreamed of working for. All he asks is that you get him to/from your city and feed him lunch every day. Would you hire him?

Granted, needing a helicopter ferried a few hundred miles is not as critical as defending yourself against a $1.5 million lawsuit. But the story points out the need for a professional to do a professional job. Charging a fair amount to do a job is not greed; it is fair. If we were all greedy pilots, we would all hold out for ten grand to do a $1000 job.

Bottom line: If you sell yourself short, the rest of the world surely will not raise the price.

~Jeff

Edited by Jeff

Supply and demand has always been the driving force to set pricing for goods and services in this country. It a dog eat dog world and the sooner you recognize that the easier it will be.

A friend on VR whats to relocate a helicopter. Are you going to charge a friend to help him out? My bet is he has a friend that will do it for free!!

I've been lurking on this site for quite some time now but this thread has inspired me to post. If the owner would trust a low time pilot to move his aircraft for a small price, very well. The smaller fee + flight hours are a benefit all around. The experienced pilot OPENLY offering a free service, while nice and charitable doesn't seem to do the industry any good.

This seems to be a community of professionals who are friendly, not to be confused with a community of friends who all happen to be professional pilots. If you want to do another friend a favor that's fine, but at the same time keep the details of the arrangement private.

Times are tough, hours are hard to come by, pennies are being pinched on both sides of the transaction. But let's not damage the value of a good method of earnings (either in price or hours for those who need it).

I welcome comments as I'm still trying to get a feel for this industry.

Thank you for hearing my point of view.

Another point that might need consideration is what the insurance company requires for total time. A lot of insurance policies require higher time pilots unless the pilot is specifically listed on the policy which will probably increase the premium.

I would be interested in making that flight for you!! I am a CFI with 200+ hours in R22/R44 and I will also have a CFII with me who has mountain flying time and about 1500 hours in R22 and R44s. You can contact me at djayheli@ymail.com and I will give you more information!!

I am brand new to helicopters. So when I came to this site looking for a ferry pilot, I fully expected to find competent pilots expecting to be paid for a valuable service. First off I want to say that I appreciate ALL of the replies. I have responded to some and will soon be making a choice.

However, the numerous responses to my inquiry are nothing like I expected. I am amazed at how many high-time, qualified pilots and instructors are willing to do the ferrying for free! And in some cases even offering to pay me!

I never realized how competitive the helicopter industry is and how difficult it must be to build time. I sympathize with people who spent thousands of dollars to train and now need to spend thousands more to build time.

I understand both schools of thought: 1. Get paid for a professional and valuable service ... OR ... 2. Fly free and build time (becasue flying free ultimately saves you money on renting).

For the life of me I can't figure out why a bunch of you guys don't get together and pool your money to buy a ship, then build time, then sell shares to others. Or maybe that is being done?

My decision will not be made on what someone is charging or not charging. It will be made on my best chances of getting the chopper home, safely, in one piece. But all things being equal ... it is hard to beat "free".

I appreciate all who took the time to respond. And I respect the ambition expressed in the offers. It tells me that heli pilots are a breed unto themselves who LOVE what they do. I just wish there were enough great paying flying jobs for all of you.

My flying will be strictly for pleasure. A helicopter is something I've always wanted and this economy made buying one a "great deal". Prices are very, very low compared with previous years.

BTW ... the heli industry is similar to my chosen industry: "Broadcasting". There are so many newbies that want to be on radio and television that they're willing to do almost anything to get their foot in the door.

While that drives salaries down ... those who excel will always excel. And you really can't blame people for wanting to "prime the pump".

Cheers,

Tom

I love this forum.

Thank you Tom for coming back and clearing the air. And with such an eloquent response as well. I have eagerly been awaiting your response.

I have been reading this thread since the get go. I am, at times, embarrassed, confused, and angered by the way fellow pilots want to shoot each other down for flying for free. There is a whole other forum where you can go do that... This forum has always been held to much higher standards.

Tom has presented an amazing opportunity for some pilot, whom probably desperately needs the hours, a chance for some time building. What "low timer" among us would not jump at the opportunity. I would apply it for free if I were available. No hesitation.

Sure if I have 1500 hours and am already getting paid to fly, it might not be my best choice to take a ferry flight for free. But do not bust on someone else because you already have your hours and a paying flight career. If you want to get paid - apply for it as a paid position. You need hours - apply for it for free. Either way, Tom will choose the best pilot to dollar ratio. You get what you pay for, but there is also a point of diminishing return. Read "Fatal Traps" and you will see that high time pilots have made some very costly decisions (or been victim to disastrous circumstances) as well.

Even if you volunteer your services. You are not doing it for "free." No expense to the owner, yes. But free, no. You must consider the cost of the hours you would have paid for the flight time. It you do the math you can figure that roughly 10 hours (according to MN Heli Flyer) times 299/hr (according to the ad above) would mean that you have just been paid 2990 dollars. Not to your pocket, but your logbook, where it really counts for someone building hours. That does not sound free to me. I will gladly take 3000 dollars of flight time without having to pay for it.

Wasn't there just a job opening in Ohio for a janitor position at a junior high school. 700 applicants? Sure probably none for free, but I am not aware of janitors trying to build mop hours. Just an example of people willing to do whatever is necessary to get that foot in the door, and/or make ends meet.

I am half kicking myself for writing this reply, knowing that I am just fanning the flames, but it just erks me that this simple ferry flight has cause such a disturbance in our happy home.

That is all.

Thanks,

Thanks Tom for clarification! I hope you continue to enjoy your helicopter for a long time! This is a site with many people whom are passionate for flying helicopters and we should find more ways to work together. That is excellent advice!

I would like to clarify something I stated earlier that I have found out is not accurate. I had a conversation with someone about how long it would take to fly that distance and he stated around 10 hours. I did not compute the distance because I trust this person and did not give it a second thought until today. After checking the actual distance and flight speed it is closer to 6 hours to fly that distance.

I have always been a firm believer in giving accurate information. I am sure we were talking generally in our conversation about the flight time but I should have checked it before posting it.