Terre's WOFT progress.

Instead of highjacking everyone else's threads i figured i'd start my own.

Quick background... I contacted a local recriuter about a year ago (May of '08) about applying for WOFT, being alittle over wieght (6' ~230lbs) and involved in summer activities, i worked on getting my wieght down and studying for the ASVAB and AFAST test's.

Nov of '08 we setup a time and date for MEPS. I completed MEPS, scoring 62 ASVAB and 126 AFAST. I recomend anyone DO NOT take these test's back to back. Or atleast more than 15min apart.

Being i 'only' scored a 109 GT we reschedualed the ASVAB where i then scored a 75 with a 117GT.

Having all that said and done we were on to the A1 physical. The last contact i had with my recriuter was almost a month ago after waiting almost two months.

Well today (seemingly out of the blue) he calls me with two dates to choose from set a month out from today (4-22-09) for the flight physical.

I'm finding the timing slightly ironic, coming the day after i contact a National Gaurd recriuter about a local mechanic postion.

But either way I "should" know the dates of my flight phyiscal tomorow.

That's all for now, i'll update as event's happen.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being i 'only' scored a 109 GT we rescheduled the ASVAB where i then scored a 75 with a 117GT.

Having all that said and done we were on to the A1 physical. The last contact i had with my recriuter was almost a month ago after waiting almost two months.

Well today (seemingly out of the blue) he calls me with two dates to choose from set a month out from today (4-22-09) for the flight physical.

I'm finding the timing slightly ironic, coming the day after i contact a National Guard recruiter about a local mechanic position.

But either way I "should" know the dates of my flight physical tomorrow.

That's all for now, i'll update as event's happen.

Well let me be as honest as i can possibly be. Today i flew for the 2nd time, yesterday was my nickel ride. Today i hovered. Today i can say that flying is the best thing I've ever done. Its amazing.

i suggest you do what you desire the most. I had to be on my recruiters butt the entire time. It wasn't easy getting him to do and set up all he had to. i was constantly bothering him. You have to do the same.

its almost like its a pre-requisite...You have to persist in order to get into the program. All my buddy's here had to do the same.

fight for it if you want it man.

good luck.

Awesome man. Good luck with the physical. Looks like you'll be going for the 153A Board in July. Basically, I'm working on my APFT score trying to get it as good as possible before submitting for the batallion level board.

Everyone's gonna tell you the same thing as I am about to. Some people get lucky and find recruiters who are locked on and will hook all the process of your packet up in a timely manner. Some, as you have, experience the latter. I think mine has been somewhere in the middle. With my persistance and research about putting together the packet I was able to provide him with the information he was missing. I guess sometimes it takes a while for updates on the application process requirements to trickle down the recruiting chain of command as it does anywhere.

Keep us updated.

BTW, come up with a contingency plan if you can in case this date falls through. What I did was go down as a "walk in" applicant with another guy who had one scheduled. I got lucky and they were able to knock everything out that day. Given, I was a Marine in a Naval Aeromed Clinic so I had a little more pull than a civilian would. Try and ask if there is anyone else scheduled between now and your date and see if you can do the same.

Corporal P

Thanks for the reply's guy's.

This IS what i want to do, it's just a matter of getting it done, and what i need to do to get it done. Patients isnt one of my strongest features, i tend to get impatient and frustrated easy. If i need to join a local gaurd avi unit and get some collage, that's what i'll do.

Thanks again fella's!

-Terre

Terre, if that IS really what you want, just continue to make it known to your recruiter. Patience is a virture but persistence gets results. Keep hounding your recruiter, talk to your station commander, let them know how serious you are. Show them your passion, beyond the typical " It's always been my dream to fly" that everyone says. Prepare for everything! I can say from my previous time in the Army, if there is one thing that helped me more than anything, it was physical preparedness. Running, running and more running. The better shape you're in the easier WOCS and Army Life in general will be, not to mention the lbs. will literally begin to drop, and I mean fast. This physical philosophy will boost your mental state tremendously. It will also show your recruiter that you are serious. Keep at it!

Thanks jfcory, I really appriciate the words of encouragement. I'm currently civilian looking to go WOFT.

I joined Golds Gym last Jan and have been trying to hit it up atleast 2-3times a week. They have an indoor track. I've deffinetly noticed a gain. But i need to step it up. I can run for a consistant 2 miles, but i'm "only" in the 15-17min range.

Thanks jfcory, I really appriciate the words of encouragement. I'm currently civilian looking to go WOFT.

I joined Golds Gym last Jan and have been trying to hit it up atleast 2-3times a week. They have an indoor track. I've deffinetly noticed a gain. But i need to step it up. I can run for a consistant 2 miles, but i'm "only" in the 15-17min range.

15-17 Min to run 2 miles is not bad, when I went to basic waaaaaaaay back when :D i did a 7 min. mile mile going in and a 7 min. mile coming out, the biggest difference was I wasn't dieing at the end of the run :lol:

Have you checked the required run time for your age bracket?

I hate running with a passion but it's a necessary evil in the life of the military. For me being 23, the MINIMUM is 16:36. Which means in order to be competative I need to be in the 12-14 min 2mi. I've been consecutively hitting the upper 15's low 16's which I'm a little disappointed about but it'll just take some time and work. The combination of my civilian desk job and a GF who cooks well has done me in!

Now, in the Marine Corps, let alone their reserves, we run 3 miles and its more of a distance run (to pass you can be anywhere between 18min-28min) vs a "shorter all out sprint" that the APFT seems to gear towards.

Bottomline, I feel your pain man. Keep at it. We'll keep each other motivated about this LOL B)

im old..i get to run it in 17:00 mins LOL..

but seriously..after WOCS you;ll be faster...but going in doing the minimums is fine as long as you pass your good to go...now during wocs you'll exercise and instead of going to sleep do sit ups and push ups first...its gonna be hard fighting the urge to go to sleep..but you'll be ok...if you work diligently you'll come out MAXing out your apft.

wocs will train you on endurance as well as speed...we did a six mile run in 43:00 mins once..we were all super tired..but could've ran more. its your senior class run.

Cliff,

If you shoot for running the 2 miles in 15 minutes-ish you'll be just fine. I ran my 2 mile at WOCS at 15:14, and I did just fine. I would just make sure you can do that consistantly. That's all. Don't think you need to friggin' max the 2 mile run at 12:00. F That (of course, my opinion).

CHAD

Cliff,

If you shoot for running the 2 miles in 15 minutes-ish you'll be just fine. I ran my 2 mile at WOCS at 15:14, and I did just fine. I would just make sure you can do that consistantly. That's all. Don't think you need to friggin' max the 2 mile run at 12:00. F That (of course, my opinion).

CHAD

Well thanks for the insight. I know we've talked about this before. Sometimes I harp on things too much LOL

How soon do you take an initial APFT when you get to WOCS @ Rucker?

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I thought I knew heat... being that I grew up in South FL... yeah, not so much. There is no breeze at Rucker, just stale friggin' HOT air with high humidity. You have to chew the air during a PT test

CHAD

man it was hotter than hell yesterday afternoon

Great! And I am heading there for the UH-60M MTP transition Monday. I CAN'T WAIT to sit in the friggin' aircraft and do preflight and systems checks all day! At the end of this course I will be able to say I have seen Ft. Rucker at every part of the year! And I didn't even go to flight school there!

Thanks Marine. When you did your flight phis did you have to go infront of a pilot board at the end of it?? My recriuter mentioned something on the last day i'll have to appear in front of a pilot med board...

Edited by 1badz32

Never heard of that. I've heard of seeing the Flight Surgeon for Part II. The Flight Surgeon will submit your physical and all test results to the Aeromedical Review Board, but you don't appear before the board. Once your physical is reviewed, it is stamped either "Qualified" or "Disqualified", based on whether you meet all the requirements. If you are stamped "Disqualified", it does not automatically mean that you are medically unfit for Aviation. Sometimes, it just means that there were anomalies with the paperwork, or the test results, and those items need to be adjusted/fixed before it is stamped "Qualified". However, in many cases the WOFT process will stop with a disqualification of the flight physical because of an unforeseen medical issue.

Never heard of that. I've heard of seeing the Flight Surgeon for Part II. The Flight Surgeon will submit your physical and all test results to the Aeromedical Review Board, but you don't appear before the board.

However, in many cases the WOFT process will stop with a disqualification of the flight physical because of an unforeseen medical issue.

The Aeromedical Review Board is probebly what he was refering too. I'm 99.8% sure my recriuter has never done this before so it's all a learning experiance for both of us.

Next to being a bit of a fat @$$ i've never had health issue's. And i've already had 2 different physical's in the last year or so, granted neither of them focused very extensively on eye sight.

We'll see i guess. Thanks for the reply's fella's.

Thanks Marine. When you did your flight phis did you have to go infront of a pilot board at the end of it?? My recriuter mentioned something on the last day i'll have to appear in front of a pilot med board...

No you do not appear in front of a med board. The results of your physical will. The flight surgeon or aeromed clinic sends it to ft rucker to be stamped approved or dq. You will pretty much know by the time you leave there if you're going to have any issues though.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my recriuter an I made the 80mile trek to the MSP airport to fly out to Co for my flight physical. And as luck would have it, his reservation didnt have a ticket attatched to it, so... no recriuter no physical. I'm really getting sick of visiting MSP and not leaveing on a plane.

ugh... frusterated is an understatement.