Hey guys! Man I wish I found this forum a long time ago, I only ran across it Tuesday night which happened to be the night before my board. I just wanted to shout a thanks to Marine4woft, one of his posts on what to expect at the board helped me out a little bit, I felt a little more comfortable and relaxed going in. I've been a little unfortunate to have recruiters that have never put a WOFT packet together and have had no idea what to expect. I really think for the most part I knew more than what they did on what I needed to do through the research I've been doing. When working with these recruiters you definitely need to push them. I started putting my packet together in January and sat for my board yesterday, only because I pestered them at least once a week to get things done. If anybody needs any help with anything fill free to ask or just want any more specifics on what I've done. Hopefully I'll find out if I made it sometime early next week!!

Congrats, and welcome to the addiction. AND a gixxer? Come on, you gotta ride red! (i have a 954RR).

CHAD

haha, i actually used to ride a shadow before I made the sport bike switch but you can't beat the look of a gixxer, and the fact that nobody else has a 750 anymore. Perfect balance between agility and power, comparable to a gp bike. 954 is a great bike too, popular stunt bike, you do anything or just stick to the streets?

Nah, I don't even really ride anymore to be honest... back and forth to work, but that's about it. Too busy to enjoy it anymore. You'll see. I did ride all the time at Rucker though, back and forth to school, taking the long way home. It was fun. There are alotta bikes at Rucker.

Chad

Hey guys! Man I wish I found this forum a long time ago, I only ran across it Tuesday night which happened to be the night before my board. I just wanted to shout a thanks to Marine4woft, one of his posts on what to expect at the board helped me out a little bit, I felt a little more comfortable and relaxed going in. I've been a little unfortunate to have recruiters that have never put a WOFT packet together and have had no idea what to expect. I really think for the most part I knew more than what they did on what I needed to do through the research I've been doing. When working with these recruiters you definitely need to push them. I started putting my packet together in January and sat for my board yesterday, only because I pestered them at least once a week to get things done. If anybody needs any help with anything fill free to ask or just want any more specifics on what I've done. Hopefully I'll find out if I made it sometime early next week!!

Not a problem. Glad to hear you got it over and done with. The funny thing is I still need to get mine done. LOL Some things came up and I had to push off going for the May 153A board now I'm focused on July's. Working on my APFT between now and then. Keep us updated on what you're results are when you get them.

Nah, I don't even really ride anymore to be honest... back and forth to work, but that's about it. Too busy to enjoy it anymore. You'll see. I did ride all the time at Rucker though, back and forth to school, taking the long way home. It was fun. There are alotta bikes at Rucker.

Chad

YUP A TON OF BIKES...but now they're inspected once a quarter..and if your caught with no inspection...your license to ride is revoked on post.

also..the cops just started giving tickets to bikes parked along the curved curb of B-CO parking lot or if they're two bikes to a parking spot.

INSANE.

Edited by ErOk_OnE

Man, that is ridiculous.... while i was down there BG Forrester was there, and he has a bike. He organized a bike ride thru post... I ended up doing about 65 to catch up on the backside of post towards the lake... Must have been a couple more deaths or something since then....

CHAD

Edited by FLHooker

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! Sorry it's been a while since I posted this, I've been a little busy and distracted. I got a call from my recruiter last Tuesday with awesome news and I told him to sign me up ASAP! So I headed off to my local MEPS and signed and swore in that Friday! I ship off to BCT August 25th to Benning and then I'm off to Rucker for the November 10th WOCS class. I need a little advice though. I'm married and wouldn't mind trying to get my wife moved to Rucker as soon as possible. Anybody have any suggestions or just basic info on how things will work out.

My time line so far is this:

Ship out for BCT August 25

Start BCT September 2

Graduate BCT November 5

Start WOCS November 10

End December 31

I have yet to find out when anything after that is going to be...

Basically my question is am I going to have to go through WOCS without my wife around? Thanks for the help...

Possibly. I don't know what all the new rules are in the "kindler, gentler" WOCS, but my advice is to hold off.

First, you won't be able to see if you can get housing on-post (if that's what you want) until after you get there.

Second, you won't have a lot of time to successfully look for a house. If your wife is anything like anyone else's wife, you making a snap judgment on where she is going to live for the next 12-18 months or so is not going to go so well for you. Moves and new jobs are just as hard on marriages as deployments. If she has family (yours or hers) to stay with until you both have time to look and settle in (kind of), then that would be my recommendation.

Third, let your WO1 pay kick in a second, and then revisit my reason #2 from a financial angle.

Fourth, your initial orders may not include travel for your wife. Someone else who is street-to-seat might be able to comment more authoritatively than I can, but the orders you get from MEPS aren't likely to accomodate travel or moving household goods to Fort Rucker. So, you'll have to at least wait until the end of Basic to make those calls, and possibly until after your arrival at Fort Rucker.

Caveat all that to say that I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for this man's Army, and my information may be dated to my own experience and not to current realities. Like everything else, do your homework!

Edited by Linc

Possibly. I don't know what all the new rules are in the "kindler, gentler" WOCS, but my advice is to hold off.

First, you won't be able to see if you can get housing on-post (if that's what you want) until after you get there.

Second, you won't have a lot of time to successfully look for a house. If your wife is anything like anyone else's wife, you making a snap judgment on where she is going to live for the next 12-18 months or so is not going to go so well for you. Moves and new jobs are just as hard on marriages as deployments. If she has family (yours or hers) to stay with until you both have time to look and settle in (kind of), then that would be my recommendation.

Third, let your WO1 pay kick in a second, and then revisit my reason #2 from a financial angle.

Fourth, your initial orders may not include travel for your wife. Someone else who is street-to-seat might be able to comment more authoritatively than I can, but the orders you get from MEPS aren't likely to accomodate travel or moving household goods to Fort Rucker. So, you'll have to at least wait until the end of Basic to make those calls, and possibly until after your arrival at Fort Rucker.

Caveat all that to say that I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for this man's Army, and my information may be dated to my own experience and not to current realities. Like everything else, do your homework!

Thanks, everything you said is pretty much what I figured, I just wanted to here it from somebody that knows the system a little better than I. We've looked on the internet at on post housing and it looks promising, I figure for now that's what I'll go for. I'll definitely look around once I get there though and see what things are like.

Dang, did you go street to seat?? ( i assume so but i gotta ask)

Yes sir! From what I understand it's pretty hard to do but I waited until I had a degree in aviation to put my packet in. I also have previous flight experience as well. I have my Commercial Pilot Certificate in Single and Multi-Engine, and Instrument Rated. Even though it's all fixed wing and in light aircraft I'm sure it helped. I suppose one of my LOR's helped too, he's a retired Colonel heli pilot for the guard and he's now the head of the aviation department for the school I went to. I really don't know what I would have done without him...

GSXR,

What school did you go to?

Also, when you graduate WOCS, you will be given the opportunity to get 10 days PTDY to move your sh*t. But, I second what Linc said about waiting. Your PCS orders will start when you get into WOCS, so technically you can get a place right as you are getting into WOCS, but you won't have time. If you live on post, and your wife has power of attorney, she should be able to get a place on post while you are in WOCS, but I'd caution on letting her do everything. It's just best to wait (my opinion).

Either way, Congrats!!! Welcome to the addiction.

1Bad,

the street to seat program is for someone with no military, the college has no play in it. you can have zero or a PhD, doesn't matter, with the exception of your pull on the selection board.

CHAD

the street to seat program is for someone with no military, the college has no play in it. you can have zero or a PhD, doesn't matter, with the exception of your pull on the selection board.

Yep. That's why they don't call it high school to flight school anymore. Also, I agree that it's probably just easier to wait. Other than your 2 passes, you wouldn't be able to see her while you're in WOCS anyway (unless you go to the same church). I would wait and then take the 10 days PTDY to find a house together.

Blake

Yep. That's why they don't call it high school to flight school anymore. Also, I agree that it's probably just easier to wait. Other than your 2 passes, you wouldn't be able to see her while you're in WOCS anyway (unless you go to the same church). I would wait and then take the 10 days PTDY to find a house together.

Blake

Don't forget car washes!

also..the cops just started giving tickets to bikes parked along the curved curb of B-CO parking lot or if they're two bikes to a parking spot.

INSANE.

That doesn't make any damn sense.

As for me, I had a SV650S for a short period of time.

FLHooker,

I went to Henderson State, it's a small school in Arkadelphia, Arkansas. I didn't much enjoy the school but the flight program there is really nice. Yeah, I figure I'll just wait until I graduate WOCS to worry about moving. Thanks for all the info!

According to the brochure I have from the recruiters, it's still being call "High School to Flight School". What better way to get a kid fresh out of high school to enlist than to think they have a chance to be a pilot right away. Even if they don't get accepted, they've done all this work and put in so much time to put their packet together that they still might enlist and just try and put their packet in again later on. I think it's just more known as "Street to Seat" these days because the odds of getting accepted right out of high school is so slim.

As for the bike parking, that's just completely ridiculous. I would rather have at least two bikes in the same parking space. It's more visible and less likely for someone to fly in and run it over. Not to mention it saves on space. What's the charge for that anyway?? Cops are getting more and more corrupt every day. Just last week my mom went to trial for not wearing her seat belt (which she was, I've never seen her put her car out of park without clicking it) and the cop plainly lied on the stand while under oath and said that he saw her put her seat belt on.

Edited by GSXR750Pilot

Congrats on getting accepted, I recently decided to switch my major from physics to aviation or aeronautics and get a degree before I try to drop a packet as well. :) and I bought my first bike this past summer, an '08 ZX-6, gotta love kawi's when it comes to bikes