Ear Plugs

I was wondering if anyone wears earplugs with their headset. I am young now and I would like to protect my hearing. I currently have a David Clark headset with only passive noise protection and currently something with ANR is way out of the question. Right now I have a big box of industrial earplugs that provide like 20 or 30 dBa protection. Is the headset sufficient to protect hearing? Could you wear earplugs with the headset or would it distort how well you could hear radio transmissions.

It depends on the headset. If it's fitted properly, and keeps a tight seal, that should be sufficient. If it's loose, then you may need help. Earplugs can make it hard to hear the radio & intercom, and can create some problems between crewmembers with volume differences.

Unless you're flying a turbine aircraft, I wouldn't worry about it at all. A good fitting set of David Clarks will work great. Even in most turbine aircraft, a headset will do just fine.

The CEPs are great as long as you have the custom molded ear pieces. I still haven't found anyone to do them so I'm stuck with the friggen foam ones that kill your ears for the first 2 weeks, then get comfortable after that and fall out easily. You wouldn't happen to know a good place to get them molded, would you Charyou?

I have tried wearing ear plugs with my passive david clark in the R22s and I couldn't stand it. Even with the radio at full volume I could hardly hear a thing, and they seemed to cause me discomfort when climbing and descending. So I dealt with the crappy DC headset for 1000+ hours and wondered why every long day ended with a pounding head ache. I use a lightspeed zulu now and it is SO much better. No headache from excessive noise, no "pinching" of the head, absolutely worth it. Wearing the DCs makes me irritable after a couple hours of use.

I do know of an examiner who went to an audiologist and head custom ear plugs made that were more "filters" for high and low frequencies and he loved them.

I would say that unless you are in a twin-engine turbine, nothing out there is going to exceed a good set of David Clarks. If you think you need them, earplugs will work, just be advised that you are likely to cut down on as much good "noise" as you are the stuff that hurts your hearing.

Justin, try these two links for getting fitted plugs on your CEP's.

I have never delt with them, but when I spoke to the folks from Tiger at the Houston Expo, they said they could mould them and take care of custom projects like that. But, I have heard of people having trouble dealing with them.

The PlugUp company I talked to at a motorcycle show a year or so ago, and they said they could do it. Looking at their website, I would say that they could definatly do what ever you need that involves cramming something in your ears.

I have just dropped the ball on getting my CEP's sent in to be molded.

Also, if I understand them correctly, CEP sells a converter cable of sorts that allows you to use you CEP's with your IPOD, or similar Mp3 player. That would be nice when mowing, or for other applications! (I have a big yard to mow.)

http://plugup.com/cart/

http://www.tigerperformance.com/index.asp

Justin, try these two links for getting fitted plugs on your CEP's.

I have never delt with them, but when I spoke to the folks from Tiger at the Houston Expo, they said they could mould them and take care of custom projects like that. But, I have heard of people having trouble dealing with them.

The PlugUp company I talked to at a motorcycle show a year or so ago, and they said they could do it. Looking at their website, I would say that they could definatly do what ever you need that involves cramming something in your ears.

I have just dropped the ball on getting my CEP's sent in to be molded.

Also, if I understand them correctly, CEP sells a converter cable of sorts that allows you to use you CEP's with your IPOD, or similar Mp3 player. That would be nice when mowing, or for other applications! (I have a big yard to mow.)

http://plugup.com/cart/

http://www.tigerperformance.com/index.asp

I don't know if the 'lawnmower CEPs' are actually available or not. I think I'm going to make myself a (mono) adapter with a CEP socket.

Unless you're flying a turbine aircraft, I wouldn't worry about it at all. A good fitting set of David Clarks will work great. Even in most turbine aircraft, a headset will do just fine.

The CEPs are great as long as you have the custom molded ear pieces. I still haven't found anyone to do them so I'm stuck with the friggen foam ones that kill your ears for the first 2 weeks, then get comfortable after that and fall out easily. You wouldn't happen to know a good place to get them molded, would you Charyou?

Well, the audiologist at Rucker is a good place to start... failing that, when I got mine done, she told me any audiologist can do them. The brand name is "Westone" (pronounced West-tone), and apparently they're big brand that everyone (audiology wise) uses. I actually need to get around to getting a new set, both as spare, and the one's I've got are coming up on the 2 year life she told me I could expect. (They dry out over time? Humidors help... :shrug: )

Down there, it's $35 an ear, and she obviously makes no profit. You're paying Westone. Locally, you'll likely end up paying for the visit. Best of luck

edit:

http://www.westone.com/dealer.html

Edited by CharyouTree

I use standard disposable foam earplugs on my CEPs. I reuse the inserts from the plugs that come with the CEPs, pushing them into the foam plugs. They don't fall out, and they're very quiet. The ones that come with the CEPs work fine for me, but they're expensive. If they hurt your ears, you're probably using the wrong size. They make smaller sizes.

Edited by Gomer Pylot

Thanks for all the info guys. I have a set of regular headphones which are very similar to CEPs, they plug into your ear canal and block out a ton of other noise. Is it possible to add CEPs to a regular old david clark helicopter headset. I have seen photos of them added to headsets but I know helicopter ones are different. In this case would you disable and remove the original speakers in the headset, or would you leave them in there in addition to the CEP? I also know someone who has a CEP headset (not any brand name) but for some odd reason it only works in the Beta 2 and not the betas. Why would that be?

Well, the audiologist at Rucker is a good place to start... failing that, when I got mine done, she told me any audiologist can do them. The brand name is "Westone" (pronounced West-tone), and apparently they're big brand that everyone (audiology wise) uses. I actually need to get around to getting a new set, both as spare, and the one's I've got are coming up on the 2 year life she told me I could expect. (They dry out over time? Humidors help... :shrug: )

Down there, it's $35 an ear, and she obviously makes no profit. You're paying Westone. Locally, you'll likely end up paying for the visit. Best of luck

edit:

http://www.westone.com/dealer.html

I guess I just need to get my a$$ sent to ALSE school so I can go out there and get it done. I'll check that link when I'm not late for a family function ;)

J-

Just to throw another idea in the mix, I use the EP-3 Sonic Defender from EarPro (Surefire owns them now). It has a "channel" in the center of the plug to allow normal sounds like radios etc through but provides protection up to 80db for "harmful" sounds. They are about 15 bucks, and worth it. We wear the Gallet helmet, and it seems to work fine, but I definitely can tell the difference after a long flight if I have not used any kind of supplemental hearing protection. I can hear the radios/intercom just fine with these in. Just my .02.

I've been using CEPs on passive David Clarks for two years now in B407s, S-76s & King Air 200s. They're inexpensive, $50 buck for the kit and $50 bucks to have it installed (if you're handy with a soldering iron or have avionics mechanics, they could do it easily) Personally, I think they are quieter than the Bose. They are heavier, but are much more sturdier. This is especially important if you are moving between different aircraft. Gear does get banged around after a while. I use special silicone triple flange tips in lieu of the foam. They're more comfortable for me and last much longer. But both the foam or triple flange start getting a little uncomfortable after 6-8 hours. Hope this helps.

Edited by Bayou06

Hi Guys, another option for custom hearing protection is E.A.R., Inc. You can find them online; they are one of the major manufacturers of the yellow disposable foam earplugs but also specialize in a variety of custom molded plugs for musicians, shooters, construction workers, whatever. I have a set of custom plugs from them, and they come with a filter that blocks ambient noise but still allows voices to come through. Sounds perfect for an aviation application, but I have not had the opportunity to wear them inside my David Clarks yet. I wear mine every day riding my motorcycle and like them a lot. An alternative to Westone, give them a look. I think my plugs cost me about $130 bucks.

Cheers,

Chris Darling

I have found that wearing ear plugs tends to exaggerate the sounds of eating. I really notice the crunching and chewing when eating cookies.

It does not take long to get the cookie / collective coordination. It makes flying helicopters even more enjoyable. There may also be complaints about crumbs left in the helicopter.

The Lightspeed Zulu headset is just amazing.

I have found that wearing ear plugs tends to exaggerate the sounds of eating. I really notice the crunching and chewing when eating cookies.

It does not take long to get the cookie / collective coordination. It makes flying helicopters even more enjoyable. There may also be complaints about crumbs left in the helicopter.

The Lightspeed Zulu headset is just amazing.

Eating cookies while you're flying? I hope someone else has the controls!

J-

• 1 year later...

I found a website called www.l2ktech.com that makes the CEP custom fit ear molds. I recently ordered a pair and like them way better than the little brown ones that ALSE issues.

I'm using the el-cheapo solution with the yellow foam earplugs under my DC's, works perfectly fine. Cuts the noise down quite a bit but the radios are still crisp and clear. Plus I got rid of the noise that went through the earcups when I have my sunglasses on, the cups didn't seal tight enough.

Considerably less headache and less fatigue on long days.

Cost: negligible B)

OOh. It's so nice coming back to a thread after this long.

So, it turns out that the Sonic Defender earplugs mentioned earlier? Those work pretty well in conjunction with the CEPs as a cheap custom tip solution. (You take that little filter thing out completely, and put the CEP screw-in directly into THAT hole.)

I tried using them, but due to my head shape/earcup fitment on my helmet, I get pressure in my outer ear with those. It doesn't happen when I wear the sonic defenders as firing line hearing protection, just in conjunction with the helmet.

I finally got around to a civilian audiologist, and ended up paying roughly...$170? for the pair of custom molds. The good news is that between the first pair I had made, and this pair, they changed their construction from vinyl to silicone, iirc? End result being less shrinkage, longer life, and I think more comfortable to wear. Well worth the money, IMO, if you can afford it.

There was no problem getting the molds. It's actually the same process they use for hearing aids. (Westone actually screwed up and made me ear pieces for hearing aids with the molds. oops! They rushed out a correct pair, when the audiologist called about the mistake...once I had new molds taken.) The only issue was to figure out WHICH tips I needed, but they called Westone and coordinated.