Right answer on board question.

Our flight board asks the question "If we wanted you to fly 64's instead of 47's, would you still want to fly?" The obvious answer is yes, that I would definitely still fly...but is there a way I could emphasize my preference for 47's without showing lack of dedication? My packet is complete and I've been accepted into the 47 company but I've heard we're really short on 64 pilots. My goal is to fly, so I wouldn't mind going apache...just wanted to know if anyone who's been through it would have any insight.

Why on earth would you want to fly a 47 over a 64?! Everyone knows 64's are the best! Why just be a flying bus man!?

Dolphin, I'm assuming you know how it feels to be a totally awesome 64 guy too? We are pretty awesome. Haha!

In all seriousness I love the 47 too, it's an amazing machine. For that board question I would state something along the lines of I'll fly whatever the Army needs me to fly the absolute best I possibly can, however, I would find the mission of the 47 more personally satisfying.

I'm assuming your going for a Guard unit that has both?

As strange as it may sound, the pilots for each airframe generally exhibit the same personality traits. The attack guys are a bit more fired up and agressive (Me?! Never!) while 47's seem to be the most relaxed, I guess it's the gentle rocking, I dunno.

Keep us posted on your progress and good luck!

Yes. The proper response to emphasize that you want to fly 47's would be "Since I do not believe I could handle the awesomeness of being an Apache pilot trained to rain down death from above, I would prefer to fly Chinooks if at all possible."

lol..thats awesome..lol

Mymm,

I learned the awesomeness of being an Apache pilot in 1991 right after completing flight school and flew them until 1997 when I left the Army. Now all I get to do is watch my gunner shoot. Watching someone else shoot from your helicopter is like watching someone else make out with a beautiful woman. It's fun for a bit but not nearly as fun as doing it yourself.

Maybe this answer would help you get your 'boeing bus' driver job:

"Sir, I don't feel my testicular fortitude is strong enough for performing a diving rocket shot on a manned Dshk with an IHADSS 30 shot on the break."

All kidding aside, be honest and let them know what you'd like while making sure they know you're interested in helping out with what the 'team' needs.

The reality of aircraft assignment is that you'll almost certainly grow to love whatever you fly. Each one has pros and cons.

Also, in the guard you have a better chance of moving from one airframe to another.

Congrats on getting an interview.

Mymm,

I learned the awesomeness of being an Apache pilot in 1991 right after completing flight school and flew them until 1997 when I left the Army. Now all I get to do is watch my gunner shoot. Watching someone else shoot from your helicopter is like watching someone else make out with a beautiful woman. It's fun for a bit but not nearly as fun as doing it yourself.

HAHA! I'm still learning to handle all the awesomeness, bout to head to my first check ride in 20 min, woo! Gunnery is still a few months out, I can't wait.

64's

There shouldn't be anymore discussion after this. B)

... getting shot at isn't so bad when you know you can shoot back.

3 words the rest of the fleet hate

"Gun Service Terminated" Then they shut up

I would feel less than a pilot to fly anything other than what I do now, because I love my helicopter and community. However, the correct response to the board is that you would be happy flying, whatever the airframe. You just want a chance to serve your country and be the best helicopter pilot you can be.

Cheesy and cliche, I know, but it is the correct response because it demonstrates that you are willing to do what the unit needs to meet the mission. So, if you want to stress your preference, simply state it, "I prefer the CH-47, but I am ready to fly anything I'm given the chance to and complete the mission."

Of course the response would change with great drama if they were to even hint that you may be given the sacred opportunity to don a stetson and spurs.

;)

Hell, I have CH-47, UH-60, and AH-64 pilots buying and breaking in Stetsons, and chomping at the bit for a chance to earn spurs. Nothing unifies like belonging to the Cav.

Hell, I have CH-47, UH-60, and AH-64 pilots buying and breaking in Stetsons, and chomping at the bit for a chance to earn spurs. Nothing unifies like belonging to the Cav.

Uh oh.... Not this again.... Hahaha!

J-