Mricopa County Pilot Recruitment

Just saw a fax that Maricopa County (AZ) is recruiting for a pilot. Looks like the min requirements are 2,500 hrs. The position requires the applicant to be a certified peace officer (Arizona POST), but I imagine that if you hold/held a POST certificate from another state, you could challenge the AZ POST test to get certified in that state.

Ah...found it finally:

Job Title:

Pilot

Reference:

Department:

Sheriff's Office, Aviation Services

Location Address

23636 N. 7th Street, Phoenix.

Salary

$24.43 - $27.86 Per Hour

Position Qualifications

High School Diploma or G.E.D. certificate. Must have a current F.A.A. commercial helicopter pilot’s license. Completion of at least 2500 hours of total time in aircraft, 1500 hours of turbine rotorcraft, and 500 hours of night rotorcraft; and, experience with Bell 407 and OH-58c aircrafts is required. PREFERRED: Experience with Short Haul and Night Vision Goggles. NOTE: Must be certified as a peace officer through Arizona P.O.S.T. (Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training Board), and have law enforcement experience.

The successful candidate will have considerable knowledge in the operation of rotary wing aircrafts; of aerial navigation; of Federal Aviation Administration visual flight regulations; and, of the geography and topography of Maricopa County; skill in the operation of rotary wing aircraft under adverse weather conditions over varying terrain; two-way radio communications; knowledge of law enforcement procedures; knowledge of emergency care procedures for sick and injured persons; the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; and, the ability to prepare clear and concise reports.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Must pass a F.A.A. Class II physical examination (waivers will not be issued). Must meet and maintain minimum qualifications as set forth by the current insurance carrier contracted by the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office (MCSO).

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Must be willing to work nights and weekends.

Essential Job Tasks

Ensure all aspects of flight operations are required by the F.A.A. Aviation Services Division SOP and the current MCSO contracted insurance carrier. Respond to scenes of criminal activity to provide support and assistance to ground based officers. Assist in searches and rescue for lost persons. Conduct pre- and post-flight inspections to determine the air worthiness of the aircraft. Provide covert air surveillance for various types of investigations. Operate rescue equipment. Assist in emergency care of the sick and/or injured persons by rendering first aid.

Selection Procedure

The Maricopa County Workforce Management & Development Department (formerly Human Resources) reserves the right to admit to the exam process only those candidates considered to be the most highly qualified. Those selected will be scored based on evaluation of listed education and experience. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a pool provided by Workforce Management & Development.

Filing Process

Your completed online application must be submitted prior to midnight on the identified recruitment closing date, if any. Applications are only available through the Maricopa County eRecruit system, http://www.maricopa.gov. You must have a valid e-mail address to submit your application or check the status of your application online.

If you need assistance completing your application or assistance accessing Maricopa County eRecruit, please visit the Employment Services Division of the Workforce Management & Development Department, located in Suite 200 of the County Administration Building, 301 W. Jefferson St., Phoenix, Arizona, 85003-2145. Computer kiosks are available for completing and submitting applications using eRecruit during normal business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm, excluding weekends and observed holidays.

Note to Employees

Unless you are a temporary or unclassified employee, you must have successfully completed initial probation before your application can be considered.

In accordance with Maricopa County’s compensation philosophy, employees whose current positions are in the same Market Range Title (MRT) as the position for which they are applying will not be eligible for a pay increase. Such employees may transfer laterally (i.e., at their same salary) into the new position, but only if the employee's salary can be fully absorbed by the hiring department's budget without the need for an additional appropriation.

What Happens To Application

Once submitted, your application will be reviewed by a recruitment analyst. To review the status of your applications or recruitment actions, please return to the eRecruit system and log in with your e-mail address and password. You may then click the link for "View Application Status."

Equal Employment Opportunity

It is the policy of Maricopa County not to discriminate in employment or the provision of services. Maricopa County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

The Maricopa County Workforce Management & Development Department (formerly known as the Human Resources Department) provides reasonable accommodation in the application and/or testing process to eligible individuals requesting assistance under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Employment Services Division at 506-3755 or 506-1908 (TT) if you believe you may require such assistance.

Application Deadline:

09/14/2009

Assuming 40 hours a week, no O/T, and no unpaid time off at $24/hr that comes out to $49,920 starting. Add in some O/T and I'm sure you could do much better. Still, not much to offer a POST certified 2500+ hour pilot.

At $27.86/hr it would be $57,949. Slightly more reasonable.

I thought the same thing when I looked at it. Would probably be a good fit as a retirement gig for a former LE pilot. Short of that, it's not very appealing. Thought I should throw it out nonetheless.

"I thought the same thing when I looked at it. Would probably be a good fit as a retirement gig for a former LE pilot. Short of that, it's not very appealing. Thought I should throw it out nonetheless."

You are just spoiled! You work for an awesome boss, make great money and get to fly in So Cal...... What else could you want? I know, I know you want me to buy you an EC135....... :)

"I thought the same thing when I looked at it. Would probably be a good fit as a retirement gig for a former LE pilot. Short of that, it's not very appealing. Thought I should throw it out nonetheless."

You are just spoiled! You work for an awesome boss, make great money and get to fly in So Cal...... What else could you want? I know, I know you want me to buy you an EC135....... :)

My boss is a tool. By that I mean a "Totally organized, objective leader". No seriously, that's what it means.

My boss is a tool. By that I mean a "Totally organized, objective leader". No seriously, that's what it means.

Due to the budget cuts we had to eliminate the janitorial staff and wash services. Since I am a "totally organized objective leader" I have "organized" the following change. A pilot will now wash the helicopters, empty the trash, vacuum my office and scrub the toilet. Since I am "objective" I am giving the job to my good friend and subordinate... EC120AV8R. And thus I have "led" us out of another difficult dilemma.

Due to the budget cuts we had to eliminate the janitorial staff and wash services. Since I am a "totally organized objective leader" I have "organized" the following change. A pilot will now wash the helicopters, empty the trash, vacuum my office and scrub the toilet. Since I am "objective" I am giving the job to my good friend and subordinate... EC120AV8R. And thus I have "led" us out of another difficult dilemma.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That sounds "totally" justified to me... :P :D :wacko:

I hate you. <_>