Bases for the Apache

• 9 months later...

It's not that it takes a special breed or "top of the class" to fly apaches. It's just a slightly different aptitude than other helicopters. Not harder just different and it was impossible to guess at the beginning who was going to wash out. We lost four out of my class. And as for changing airframes you can go from apache to Blackhawk without go to Rucker. But not the other way. Or at least you could seven years ago. Don't know about now and don't know about Chinook.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've gotta ask: how does one "wash out", and what happens if they do?

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've gotta ask: how does one "wash out", and what happens if they do?

Depends on the soldier... if they are worth their salt, they will put them in another platform.. if not.. welcome to the boat world

How bad do you have to f*ck up to wash out?

My buddy failed test after test. Was getting washed out but he appealed to the CG. He finally graduated and where did they send him? Apaches. Lasted one week before they finally washed him out for good. I think he went to some NG unit flying 58s. Did his 6 yrs and got out. You really have to be a screw up to wash out.

Had a student as a section leader at Lowe who washed out of another airframe. This person had connections in NG so she was able to track 60s. She lasted not even a week before she was booted out for an honor violation. It's rare but it happens.

As far as the boat warrant thing. That's true as well. A guy in my unit felt he wasn't a safe PC. Thought he had ADD or some crap. Anyway he thought a boat captain was more his speed. I'm glad he found something he likes and feels safe doing. Aviation is not a job where people need to be struggling to keep their heads above water. Lives depend on it.

Edited by Velocity173
  • Like 1

My buddy failed test after test. Was getting washed out but he appealed to the CG. He finally graduated and where did they send him? Apaches. Lasted one week before they finally washed him out for good. I think he went to some NG unit flying 58s. Did his 6 yrs and got out. You really have to be a screw up to wash out.

Had a student as a section leader at Lowe who washed out of another airframe. This person had connections in NG so she was able to track 60s. She lasted not even a week before she was booted out for an honor violation. It's rare but it happens.

As far as the boat warrant thing. That's true as well. A guy in my unit felt he wasn't a safe PC. Thought he had ADD or some crap. Anyway he thought a boat captain was more his speed. I'm glad he found something he likes and feels safe doing. Aviation is not a job where people need to be struggling to keep their heads above water. Lives depend on it.

Assuming that, like most Army schools, you are designed to stay and not be weeded out... you'd say that being dropped like that is pretty unusual?

Not that I'm worried. I just haven't heard of this before.

Assuming that, like most Army schools, you are designed to stay and not be weeded out... you'd say that being dropped like that is pretty unusual?

I'm in instruments now but in Primary our class lost 3 folks. One to I think an injury, one to an alcohol-related incident that wasn't a DUI, and one due to lack of motivation. He self-eliminated.

Ah, well that's easy enough.

Don't break yourself. Check.

Don't be stupid. Check.

Don't lose motivation. Watch Firebirds with Nick Cage every night. Check.

Seen it before, but watched it the other week again, this time with a 64 guy. Never again.

Yeah like Lindsey said, most self eliminate. I got to do 2 solo flights in primary because of this. One guy just called it quits during primary. His stick buddy now needed someone to go up with him for solo. I got picked to go flying with him. That guy is actually a DOD instructor at Lowe now.

I know it doesn't seem possible because all of you are so motivated about being aviators, but there are those who get into Army Aviation and are in above their heads. Every now and then you can see it. As a former section leader I got to see it for 3 yrs at Lowe. Some students were just not very bright or they were just worn out from the routine. You can hear it in their voices during table talk. Their hearts are not in it and now they're wondering what they've gotten themselves into. Most either self eliminate or the staff goes thru the painstaking process of eliminating them.

Even after flight school you'll see a few drop for various reasons. Can't make PC, family problems, medical problems, can't get promoted or they just simply don't enjoy the job. You name it. The path thru a career in Army Aviation is riddled with hurtles. Most meet the challenge and are lucky enough to endure a long career. A few throw in the towel early or unexpectedly have the dream cut short.

• Like 2