government run Health insurance

...A: Not even close to being correct, sorry. About 30% of our health care comes from the private sector.

Looks like I was 70%; little better than 'not being close', I think. 70% is government spending. Anyway you cut it - you have single payer system, no?

.. Why make it sound like some evil government take over? It's not the Borg we're talking about here... it's free health care. ...

Now THAT is not even close. Free? You have money trees? I am curious, PLEASE tell me how it is 'free'. That would be AWESOME! No one paying for it? Wow...

Yeah we have a single payer system, but it works and no one here wants it any other way. Whether it can be made to work in the US, only time will tell. I'm sure there were some big bumps in the road implementing it here, and it was in a social climate vastly more different than that of today. I still don't understand the resistance of many towards it, but I've not see it from your side, so I never will.

Good call too on the free comment, I got a little carried away. Replace free with dirt cheap, our family of 2 pays $98/month total for full coverage. Costs more to insure our VW than to insure us both :)

Thats crazy cheep. I'm paying $160/month for just me. My elderly parents pay $1400 a month, and that gives them a $5000 deductible...

This really isn't a political forum, so I'l keep it short, but the main opposition is from the medical insurance companies who don;t want to be put out of business. Take the profit factor out of insurance, and its way cheaper. Also, a good portion of our insurance costs are to cover the higher cost of health care from the uninsured. The people complaning about pying for the uninsured already are, and just don't know it....

OK, back on topic. I think the medivac industry will remain the same. It may even help it, since everyone will be insured. I'm in no way an expert though...

Yeah we have a single payer system, but it works and no one here wants it any other way. Whether it can be made to work in the US, only time will tell. I'm sure there were some big bumps in the road implementing it here, and it was in a social climate vastly more different than that of today. I still don't understand the resistance of many towards it, but I've not see it from your side, so I never will.

Good call too on the free comment, I got a little carried away. Replace free with dirt cheap, our family of 2 pays $98/month total for full coverage. Costs more to insure our VW than to insure us both :)

• 2 months later...

It will destroy private business (HEMS falls into that) since someone has to pay for the $2.5 TRILLION healthcrap bill. Helicopter operators make a lot of money and pay a lot of money in taxes, and taxes are going to go way up to pay for all the spending Obamacide and the rest of the braindead piece of crap liberal democrats are doing! There's not a chance that HEMS will make MORE money buy getting paid from the Govt, just ask a Doctor about getting paid from Medicare/Medicaid as opposed to private insurance...

And so what if insurance companies make profits? Why is it so bad for people to make money in this country? How many medical breakthroughs and foreign leaders go to Canada for healthcare instead of the USA?

Don't forget the bill doesn't go into effect until 2014...so why the rush with the Christmas eve vote??

And any one that thinks this will DECREASE overall insurance costs is truly a moron! Their own CBO says it won't...

The question is, 'Do we need to start all over again to get OUR Government to hear to us and obey?'

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government

• 1 month later...

i hear alot of certainty about the effects from both sides. One side is wrong, but still content to slam the other. I get a kick out of the zealots, overstating and namecalling. I challenge both sides to look at CERTIFIABLE facts from the others perspective, and give up on the agitprop wars between rush and obermann. they only want you pissed, not informed. Plus no one wants to be your friend when you're constantly spouting teabagger or treehugger talking points. BORING! (i know folks like this, and try and stay away)

not saying the issue isn't important, but the venom doesn't help.

Some of the best coverage i've heard has been from minnesota public radio. carrie miller has grilled people from all sides on the health care issue, and lets the listener form their own opinion. I'd love to fly ems in canada, they got some nice choppas!

Fly On.