24 replies to this topic

#21 CoffeeAddict

CoffeeAddict

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 19:54

every time i read the MTM portions with the taiwanese captain all his dialogue sounds like Khan from King of the Hill in my head  :D  :lol: 

#22 Francis Meyrick

Francis Meyrick

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Fixed Wing and Helo trucker. I enjoy being a chopper jockey, and trying to figure the world, people and belief systems out. I'm not very good at it, so it keeps me real busy. I scribble, blog, run a website, (www.writersharbor.org) run rental houses, ride motorbikes, and read as much as I can. I went solo 44 years ago, and I like to say I'm gonna get me a real job one day. When I grow up. ("but not just yet, Lord, not just yet")
    For my aviation scribbles see www.chopperstories.com.... enjoy!

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:43

"Moggy, Moggy, what you DO??"
It was the captain. His voice up a full octave.
I sighed. We had been through this routine before. 
I bowed my head.
I explained. Humbly. Honestly. Surrounded by maniacal Chinese crew men. I'm not sure if they were carrying hatchets.
They might have been. 
I explained the whole thing to the captain. Then I looked at the assembled throng. And I kind of...
mimed...  
"Oops... Sorry...."

You've got to imagine this phenomenally intelligent, high I.Q. Taiwanese "Fishmaster" (captain) confronted with an apparently sane person, who was capable of flying a helicopter. Who nonetheless also was capable of outlandish goof-ups, and would cause total cultural and logistical chaos, with a perplexed and very apologetic  "Oops!"   :huh:

I really must say he was very good to me. Very hospitable. We spent hundreds of hours after work, drinking and gossiping. Amazing man. Many people looked down condescendingly on the Taiwanese and the Koreans, and still do. (You will see that on various forums)   Pity. My ship mates included the most endearing of people. Like to old Chief Engineer, trying to learn English....

Good guys. I miss them. 

"Flying is a Privilege, and not a Right"

fa9f27a0-98d0-48ed-9687-6953eb7f9fca_zps

#23 CoffeeAddict

CoffeeAddict

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 20:13

Not a knock on the man's intelligence, just an observation of what accent my soft human brain attaches to his end of the conversation.

I enjoy Asians, have a lot of friends and my family is in Japan. That's why I'm desperate to get back there. Thought I might have had something in Kota Kinabalu but that's dried up.

#24 Francis Meyrick

Francis Meyrick

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Fixed Wing and Helo trucker. I enjoy being a chopper jockey, and trying to figure the world, people and belief systems out. I'm not very good at it, so it keeps me real busy. I scribble, blog, run a website, (www.writersharbor.org) run rental houses, ride motorbikes, and read as much as I can. I went solo 44 years ago, and I like to say I'm gonna get me a real job one day. When I grow up. ("but not just yet, Lord, not just yet")
    For my aviation scribbles see www.chopperstories.com.... enjoy!

Posted 29 October 2015 - 21:03

The 'Tuna Safety Manual' is now available as an E-Book.

Edited by Francis Meyrick, 29 October 2015 - 21:05.

"Flying is a Privilege, and not a Right"

fa9f27a0-98d0-48ed-9687-6953eb7f9fca_zps

#25 Turbolag

Turbolag

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 15:14

Wow, I had no idea this was a thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

NFCVRForum200HomeSpectrum_VRHome200MaunaLoaVRHome200BE_VRHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeLORD_VRHome200Genesys VR Forum 200