helicopter or helicycle, why?

spubar44

Jay,

I am intersted in a mosquito. Next time you take a flight in your Mosquito come visit SZP. It is about half an hour from VNY. The pinnacles along the valley have been cleared of brush by the fires. They are now scenic, grassy, landing zones. The approach to SZP is come in low over the river, below 500 MSL, approach directly to the helipad. Depart to the river staying low until clear of the airplane pattern. The airplane pattern is low, 850 msl, and small.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay,

I am intersted in a mosquito. Next time you take a flight in your Mosquito come visit SZP. It is about half an hour from VNY. The pinnacles along the valley have been cleared of brush by the fires. They are now scenic, grassy, landing zones. The approach to SZP is come in low over the river, below 500 MSL, approach directly to the helipad. Depart to the river staying low until clear of the airplane pattern. The airplane pattern is low, 850 msl, and small.

Hi Rick,

You'll be seeing a Mosquito soon. Throughout next year we'll be touring LA region aiports every week and SZP is definitely on the list. We'll precede each weekly visit by a notice at that airport at least a week ahead and will spend the day there so everyone with varying schedules can stop by. Most of these stops will be during the week as on many of the weekends we have airshows to exhibit at. When we get a schedule fixed we'll post it on our site along with the airshow schedule and send it out to all on our Mosquito email list (go to our web to sign up on the Mosquito page)

In the mean time you might want to drop by the hangar at VNY next time you're here and see the latest one under construction.

Jay @

The Mosquito and Helicycle are very attractive little machines. It seems that no one flies one of these where I fly. Susie and I are flying about an hour a day, helicopter and fixed wing, we have never seen one. We fly in the vicinity of SZP, VNY, CMA, SBA, LAX, TOR, INZ. The helicopters that I see flying are: R44, R22, H300, Bell 206, sheriffs huey, coast guard dauphin, assorted military, Bell 47, Bell 40?, Schewizer333, BO105, Agusta, KMax, S76, Erricson skycrane.

I do not understand it. These machines look like fun. They are very reasonably priced. Every helicopter pilot must want one. I want one.

Uncharacteristically this helicopter got its start in the US on the east coast (Florida specifically) and initial exposure through the Oshkosk/Airventure and Sun n Fun shows so the majority of ships are in the east and southeast but that will soon be changing as new ships are being purchased and brought into the SW. The Mosquito had no representation in the west until early last year when we picked it up. Don't worry, relatively soon there will be swarms of them and hopefully one will be yours - get your order in soon, there is a 5 month backlog!

Jay @

Jay,

I am intersted in a mosquito. Next time you take a flight in your Mosquito come visit SZP.

I too am interested in seeing a mosquito up close, and would be very happy to host you in Denver for a demo if you ever get out this way.

I have a friend that sold his turbine heli-cycle kit to buy a mosquito turbine kit, his main reason for trading was that he could go to the factory and get help with building the kit.

aloha,

dp

Jay,

I am intersted in a mosquito. Next time you take a flight in your Mosquito come visit SZP.

I too am interested in seeing a mosquito up close, and would be very happy to host you in Denver for a demo if you ever get out this way.

I have a friend that sold his turbine heli-cycle kit to buy a mosquito turbine kit, his main reason for trading was that he could go to the factory and get help with building the kit.

aloha,

dp

Ahhhh .. that would be the infamous Mark that you are speaking of. His Mosquito XET should be completed and flying next month and then he'll be taking it to Texas for a while. If you go to our YouTube page (search for ROTOR F/X) you'll see some video of him doing some flight training here and hovering quite well in fact.

You will definitely see us in Denver in 2010, its on the western Mosquito tour ...

Jay @

Jay- were you at the experimental/gyro fly in last month up at El Mirage? If not, you should have been. There is an Angel with turbine that drives up every year and a couple cool kits, and of course, 40 gyrocopters.

Be sure and stop by CMA on the way to SPZ. Also, the real pattern for helicopters is once you pass the power lines 2 miles west, drop to 20 feet and stay there as warbirds fly the pattern along the mountain at 300 AGL !

Nothing quite like Santa Paula on a weekend. Pretty neat place but keep your eyes open..

Goldy

Jay- were you at the experimental/gyro fly in last month up at El Mirage? If not, you should have been. There is an Angel with turbine that drives up every year and a couple cool kits, and of course, 40 gyrocopters.

Be sure and stop by CMA on the way to SPZ. Also, the real pattern for helicopters is once you pass the power lines 2 miles west, drop to 20 feet and stay there as warbirds fly the pattern along the mountain at 300 AGL !

Nothing quite like Santa Paula on a weekend. Pretty neat place but keep your eyes open..

Goldy

Yes, we were there on Saturday with our UAVs taking aerial video of the event and Sunday with the Mosquito. I know which Angel you are talking about, a beautiful machine - I took some photos of it last year (see attached) and have a 3'x4' poster of it displayed in our hangar. I wasn't there till Sunday this year so missed it but my crew who were there on Saturday remarked about it.

Jay @

post-14225-1256967872_thumb.jpg

post-14225-1256967929_thumb.jpg

post-14225-1256967966_thumb.jpg

Goldy is right Santa Paula is different. There are power lines 2 miles east crossing the valley, and very deceptive high power lines 2 miles to the west. Stay above 100 ft agl until you get to know the smaller power lines. The helipad has a slight slope. The first Sunday of the month is open house 10 to 3. Interesting airplanes and pilots come here. The airplane pattern is about the size and height of a normal helicopter pattern.

The angel helicopter looks beautiful. I bet that canopy is lively when open in wind. Why do helicopters go to shows on trailers?

Edited by Rick McWilliams

It's amazing how many times the experimentals are brought up in this forum....

It's also interesting how a few die hards here have said before that they would never step foot in an experimental too. But this topic doesn't seem to have that. How come? I know when I first started and questioned it I was told I'm better off with a used certified ship even if they are more expensive to fly / own. Has the economy changed the way of thinking? :)

I don't think I've ever heard for the CH-7 Angel.. Going to research that one now!!!!

It's also interesting how a few die hards here have said before that they would never step foot in an experimental too. But this topic doesn't seem to have that. How come? I know when I first started and questioned it I was told I'm better off with a used certified ship even if they are more expensive to fly / own. Has the economy changed the way of thinking? :)

I don't think I've ever heard for the CH-7 Angel.. Going to research that one now!!!!

Dean,I don't think it is as much the economy,as it is, the new Helicopter Kits are proving to be safer and better designed then say the early Rotorways and other cheap helicopters that advertised in all the magizines.

it is like Dennis Fetter's explained on the Rotarywing forum. At the time the engine he used in the Mini-500 was the best out there, but sadly the engine had issues when used in a helicopter vs. and fixed wing. also once he sold a kit, you have no way of monitoring how well a person builds it and trains to fly it.

now that Said, the helicycle has a high power turbine that is derated and the factory also holds back some parts until you can show you have been signed off in an R-22. then also the Factory send out a rep. who helps you get your machine properly adjusted and they test fly it for you.

Mosquito also has good support as does Canadian home rotors the builder of the Safari kit.

CHR even has a training center in Fla. where they train there builder/owner for a small fee. was like under $2,000 and that includes 10 hours of Dual training.

the Mini-500 may make a come back soon as a new company is now making parts and installing a 120 h.p. yamaha snowmobile engine in it. a buddy of mine has been doing tests of this engine on his Gyroplane and at 60 hours so far has had no problems at all, and trust me this guy does not baby his Gyro look on youtube for GyroRon and you can see his video and see the engine.

the first time I saw that Engine I said man that would be perfect for the Mini-500,and now the new company is doing just that. Installing one into a Mini-500.

so now is the time to buy up the old Mini-500's that are stuffed in garages.

I my self am restoreing a Classic Helicom Commuter Jr., this is what the Safari/baby belle evolved from.

I plan to sell it to buy a 2 seat Commuter 2B ,hence my screen name of dreamin of a commuter 2B

Edited by Dreamin of a Commuter 2B

now that Said, the helicycle has a high power turbine that is derated and the factory also holds back some parts until you can show you have been signed off in an R-22. then also the Factory send out a rep. who helps you get your machine properly adjusted and they test fly it for you.

Mosquito also has good support as does Canadian home rotors the builder of the Safari kit.

CHR even has a training center in Fla. where they train there builder/owner for a small fee. was like under $2,000 and that includes 10 hours of Dual training.

For the Mosquito helicopter we also expect either a heli rating or at least 10 hours of dual signed off. This gets you a $2000 discount off the ship and if you need it pays for the majority of the 10 hour factory flight course we provide only here in CA. The $2800 10/hr dual course is also available to builders of other ships as well. This is pure stick time, you'll hear no mention of radios, weather or airspace isues - straight flight skills only. It was originallly designed for the ultralight buyers (AIR and XEL) who may never get any further formal training but is a popular request with experimental category owners now as well. Additional hours can be requested at this session at the same rate.

Jay @

The bright orange Angel shows up every year. The owner is a helo pilot from Alaska with way too many hours! Nice guy though, just wanted something he could fly around and have fun in. He has the small turbine in it and loves it.

Experimentals are getting a bit more popular, but I have always suggested to stick with a certified ship when doing training. These are more for just fun than for long Cross countries. However, that said, I know a gyro pilot that flies for hours, even in Class B airspace!

Jay-I was there Friday night and Saturday and was flying the R44 a bit up there, the only drone I saw was the predator flying overhead with a chase plane.

Goldy

The bright orange Angel shows up every year. The owner is a helo pilot from Alaska with way too many hours! Nice guy though, just wanted something he could fly around and have fun in. He has the small turbine in it and loves it.

Experimentals are getting a bit more popular, but I have always suggested to stick with a certified ship when doing training. These are more for just fun than for long Cross countries. However, that said, I know a gyro pilot that flies for hours, even in Class B airspace!

Jay-I was there Friday night and Saturday and was flying the R44 a bit up there, the only drone I saw was the predator flying overhead with a chase plane.

Goldy

Ahhh.. then we were doing our job .. I'm not sure if it is you but we have some aerial of a couple of helis flying in our field of view. I'll have a look and see if it was a 44. We were mostly over the flight line on Saturday and actually directly overflew the fatal motorcycle accident just seconds after it occurred. Ron has most of our video as we took it for them to promote the event.

Jay @

Ahhh.. then we were doing our job .. I'm not sure if it is you but we have some aerial of a couple of helis flying in our field of view. I'll have a look and see if it was a 44. We were mostly over the flight line on Saturday and actually directly overflew the fatal motorcycle accident just seconds after it occurred. Ron has most of our video as we took it for them to promote the event.

Jay @

Yepp, it was an all white R44, we were landing just east of the flight line, just south of the orange angel.

I was talking with the owner of that silver gyro, just a few hours before his fatal accident, what a shame.

Yepp, it was an all white R44, we were landing just east of the flight line, just south of the orange angel.

I was talking with the owner of that silver gyro, just a few hours before his fatal {motorcycle} accident, what a shame.

Think we caught you here on this video clip (sorry for the quality but had to render it down for size)

Jay @

Sequence_88.wmv

Think we caught you here on this video clip (sorry for the quality but had to render it down for size)

Jay @

Yepp, thats me. Fun day, even though the DA was over 6200 !

Goldy

Rick- I am just speaking as a Helicycle builder...I am not a salesman for them as they sell out each production run anyway.

But what I am impressed with is how Rotor FX requires either a helicopter rating or 10 hours of solo.

Eagle R&D who makes the Helicycle holds back my elastomeric bearing until I have proven tihat I have soloed in an R22. Then they will come to my place for four solid days and go over everything I have done...checking all the adjustments. Then they start the turbine for the first time....dynamic balance the tail rotor and main rotor blades. Next...the checkout pilot will fly my Helicycle for the first time....further adjusting everything. Then they will get me in there and s-l-o-w-l-y have me get light on the skids....and creeping forward in grass.....and finally hovering.

I think what Jay has his customers go through with the Mosquito..and what I just mentioned that eagle R&D will have me go through....says a LOT about both companies. Both are having phenomanal sales and safety records.

I plan on being another good testiment towards improving experimental helicopters image.

Stan Foster

Illinois

Jay,

It is geat to hear that Rotor FX will be offering the pilot training support in addition to the kit helicopters. That may be part of the missing link that keeps experimental helicopters in the hangar.

Experimental helicopters do make great conversation pieces and driveway ornaments but they are best displayed flying safely through airspace. That means we and every other manufacturer need to step up and make sure we are not handing off such a potentially dangerous machine to casual bystanders that think it is a lark and might be fun to try. It is of course incredible fun but you have no business being in any aircraft unless you are deadly serious about it - the NTSB has plenty enough to do.

BTW our training is for any experimental or ultralight, not just the Mosquito. Even though we are maybe taking away from potential revenue for our flight school we encourage anyone with their own heli to do as much of their solo in it instead. Besides the huge cost savings, the benefits of being able to spend entire days hovering around cones or practicing quick stops or autos is an incredible advantage in learning precise control and all those fine little details it some times takes hundreds of hours to even get a chance to experience. At $300+ and hour you just can't afford to do this. This opportunity you'll have with your own helicopter will make you so much of a better and skilled pilot whether you are just starting out or if you're an experienced pilot but can't bring the company heli home with you on the weekend (where can you get that job?) and isn't that what training is all about. As so many others have pointed out, our license is only a licence to learn and keep on learning.

Edited by ROTOR F/X

I keep getting e-mails about pictures of my build. Here is a link to the website where I spend 95% of my internet time at. Its mostly a gyroplane site...but there are a few active helicopter pilots there.

This is the last page....89....of the my build thread. If you really want to see almost every step of building a Helicycle.....go pop some popcorn because its a long read!

Thanks everyone for the interest. I love anything with a rotor on it....powered or unpowered.

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthrea...817&page=89

Stan Foster

Illinois

• 2 weeks later...

F/X said:

There is not a certified ship on the planet that has the level of detail and attention given to the the Helicycle Stan is completing.

Nothing against Stan, but there are a few helicopter mechanics that do maintain certificated ships professionally, that go through overhauls, that may disagree with you....

Here is an example. Dr. Bird's Soloy 47.

N481RD is a 1968 Bell 47 (G3B-2) which was modified in 1979 by installation of an Allison 250-C20 turboshaft engine. The work was done by Soloy Conversions LTD, and the engine came from Dr. Bird's Bell 206B, which had been upgraded to a 206BIII. This is a good performer, a fine trainer, and a lot of fun to fly. The tremendous visibility from the Bell 47 cockpit makes this a great search and rescue ship.

0301003_1.jpg

Edited by rotormatic1

Rototmatic- Let me join you and also say nothing against Stan...."myself"......but I have to kindly thank Tim for the comment, but in reality I know I am trying to do a good job...but my Helicycle wont approach the level a certified helicopter does. I just want to make that point clear...... :)

I have learned a lot building 3 gyroplanes....and have learned even more while building my Helicycle...but the single most important thing I have learned....is that I have a LOT more to learn.

Building my Helicycle carefully I am confident will give me some flying times which I will post here. I should have if flying late winter.., main holdup is awaiting my turbine.

Stan