Intro, Updates, Advice

Hey everyone,

I have spoken with many of you via PMs and/or email, but to those of you I have yet to meet - "Hi!"

Brief Intro:
- Female
- 20 years old
- Aiming for June 2010 WOFT Board
- Graduating with a Bachelors Degree in June - completing it in three years instead of the usual four.
- Taken many online FEMA Courses, hoping to convert it to college credit once I scrounge up the money to do so.
- I love volunteering: Search and Rescue, USO, Food Bank, Political, Music Festivals, and more Search and Rescue. With so much school it's been harder to devote time to the above activities, but am trying to get active again in SAR and am now involved with the USO.

For WOFT, so far I have been in contact with a recruiter and I'm also trying to find out if I'm a candidate for LASIK - I should know by the 18th of November after I have a pre-op consultation. I've been researching WOFT for a very long time, and have talked to many amazing people while doing so. You all have further inspired me, and I'm very happy to report that I have "concluded" the research stage and have moved into action by starting the packet. Hopefully all works out. Regardless: Never falter, Never quit!

I've been studying for the ASVAB and AFAST and aim to take both of those in December.

If anyone has advice to give me in the process, I'm all ears - as always. I thank you in advance and will certainly pass knowledge along to other WOFT hopefuls. When I've taken the ASVAB and AFAST, I have study books that I'll mail to whomever else is in need of them, and if anyone has questions on the process or where to start, I'm more than happy to pass along websites, forums, and contact info that I've found very helpful thus far.

Best regards,
Lindsey

• Like 1

Hi Lindsey. From another Seattle resident, welcome to VR!

I don't have any technical advice to give you since I never went through WOFT. However, based on my 25 years of Army Reserve and National Guard service (20 years as an aviator), I will tell you this:

If anyone tells you it's too hard, not possible, or will take too long, don't listen. If it's your dream to be an Army aviator, then find a way to make it happen. It may not happen quickly, and you may get knocked down more than once, but you will make it if you stick to it.

Also, talk with a flight surgeon before you get LASIK and make sure that the surgery you do end up with is acceptable/approved for IERW flight training.

Best of luck/skill to you,

Brian

If anyone tells you it's too hard, not possible, or will take too long, don't listen. If it's your dream to be an Army aviator, then find a way to make it happen. It may not happen quickly, and you may get knocked down more than once, but you will make it if you stick to it.

That sounds familiar! :D

-CHAD

Roger that, Sir! Rest assured that I have no intention of being sidelined, demoralized, distracted, or derailed. My path to WOFT may be re-routed due to reasons out of my control (say, for example, I'm not a candidate for LASIK or PRK), but for me, all roads end at Rucker. I will get there, eventually.

Thank you for your suggestion to speak with an Army Flight Surgeon before the LASIK Procedure. I will certainly do so.

Regards,

Lindsey

Brian,

Yeah, I know what you mean... I also went through the process with ease, and it only took 27 days. However, I have heard several horror stories... what I was referring to was that I had just said almost that very same thing to Lindsey the night prior.

CHAD

Brian,

Yeah, I know what you mean... I also went through the process with ease, and it only took 27 days. However, I have heard several horror stories... what I was referring to was that I had just said almost that very same thing to Lindsey the night prior.

CHAD

Great minds...

It took me forever to get here at Rucker. Let me tell you, the road was tough and long going the OCS route, but worth every drop of sweat and mile rucked. Keep it up! Good Luck!

Me too. I went the WOCS route but it still took me a long time. 6 attempts when it's all said and done. It took me a few tries just to get a medical waiver to even get in the Army. Eventually I got here. It all works out in the end.

Blake

Brian,

CHAD

It's true! :D

It took me forever to get here at Rucker. Let me tell you, the road was tough and long going the OCS route, but worth every drop of sweat and mile rucked. Keep it up! Good Luck!

Did you branch Aviation after OCS? From my understanding, it's nearly impossible for non-priors to do so. Curious about your route!

Me too. I went the WOCS route but it still took me a long time. 6 attempts when it's all said and done. It took me a few tries just to get a medical waiver to even get in the Army. Eventually I got here. It all works out in the end.

Blake

6 attempts? *Gulp*. Way to stick with it, sir!

• 4 weeks later...

Update!!

I just got home from taking the ASVAB, and still can't believe it.

99 AFQT

139 GT

AFAST on Wednesday the 16th, I can only pray I do as well on that. Oh, and study my ass off.

way to go Kid, good Job :D :D :D

Thanks 67! I'm not kidding though, I seriously was worried after I finished the test, before I opened my scores...the mechanical, automotive and electronic sections really unnerved me, even though I know they didn't count for the GT or AFQT scores. But apparently I didn't bomb the other line scores either, so uh I'm shocked, basically.

I opened the envelope and just went, "WHAT!" :o

Update!!

I just got home from taking the ASVAB, and still can't believe it.

99 AFQT

139 GT

AFAST on Wednesday the 16th, I can only pray I do as well on that. Oh, and study my ass off.

Wow. You aced the ASVAB like you did it for a living.

Nice job!

I'm sure you'll do great on the AFAST!

I used a bunch of study guides when I studied for mine, and the most useful, by far, was the ARCO Military Flight Aptitude Tests study guide. The "Complex Movements" portion on the AFAST is exactly the same as in the study guide; if you can study to the point where it becomes second nature, you'll ace that section.

• Like 1

Wow. You aced the ASVAB like you did it for a living.

Nice job!

I'm sure you'll do great on the AFAST!

I used a bunch of study guides when I studied for mine, and the most useful, by far, was the ARCO Military Flight Aptitude Tests study guide. The "Complex Movements" portion on the AFAST is exactly the same as in the study guide; if you can study to the point where it becomes second nature, you'll ace that section.

Thanks!! Yeah, I think I might pitch myself a tent in Borders and Barnes & Noble in the Test Prep section for the next week...oh wait I have four finals and three papers to do in between tomorrow and next Thursday. <_>

That's great, good luck! The Surgery is going to be awesome.

Thanks! I am very excited for it - the technology is amazing! I'm getting it done on a Thursday and going back to class on Monday. :o Most people see well enough to drive the next day! Blows my mind.

Good luck on the AFAST! I am sure if you study hard you will do well. I am glad everything is going well for you.

LASIK is for vision right?

Zach

Hehe, yep. For vision. The vision I apparently don't have. :D

---------

On another note, I posted some frustrating news on my blog. I'm too lazy at the moment to copy/paste it here, but the blog is:

www.autorotational.blogspot.com

Who am I kidding? I just want you to check out the blog haha, I'm not *that* lazy. Though I did update it. Grrrrr.

• 1 month later...
How long will that keep you held up for?

Not long at all. The flap takes a long time to heal, but it's not painful and I'm not really limited on any activities past about a week. Only thing is I can't rub my eyes for 2 months. But I should be back online after a day or two. Apparently most people see well enough to drive the day after the surgery.