My Fishhouse Project

67november

Hi gang as many of you have noticed in my bio my work is list as Unemployed.

So with winter starting 2 weeks late up here in what would be our normally now frozen solid tundra I decided to build an ice fishing house to sell on ebay.

I've had several people ask me for pics so I decided to post the progress of my build here.

This is a simple 8X8 fish house built on 2X6 floor frame capped with 2X8 steel clad skids. I've insulated the floor with polystyrene foam.

Last week I assembled and squared up the base and added the floor board, then flipped the base over to glue on the insulation and flipped it again to cut the fishing holes in the corners. I also framed up both side walls and the back wall, they are leaning on a rack in the back of my garage.

This week I plan to paint the floor with several coats of barn white latex paint, when it's fully dried it will be moved outside. then frame up the front wall and get all of the walls sheathed and painted (barn red).

Here are some pics of the progress

PICT0019.JPG

PICT0020.JPG

PICT0021.JPG

PICT0022.JPG

PICT0024.JPG

Edited by 67november

OK I continue to make progress albeit a bit slow due to the painting.

I've finished applying the 3rd coat of paint to the floor and installed the 1/2" tow eyebolts on all 4 ends of the skids. I'll move the base outside 2moro after it dries and cures overnight, it'll then be covered with a tarp till the walls are ready to be installed on it.

PICT0025.JPG

PICT0029.JPG

Flew up to International Falls last Saturday and there were plenty of people ice fishing along the way. There was 6 to 8 inches of ice on the lakes and with the cold weather this week there should be 8 to 10 inches by the weekend. We'll have to get a date for the VR ice fishin weekend.

IR

Well I made good progress today, I got the front wall framed up and sheathed, also got the back wall sheathed along with one side wall.

2moro I'll get the other side wall sheathed and rearrange and clean the garage in preperation for painting. that should take about 2 days then the walls will be ready to install on the base.

While the walls are drying/curing I'll make the roof trusses and have them ready, as the assembly of it all will go very quickly after everything is ready.

PICT0031.JPGPICT0032.JPGPICT0033.JPGPICT0034.JPG

Edited by 67november

Well the beat goes on, got the 4th wall sheathed up and the first coat of paint on the walls, I'll get the second coat on 2nite and the final coat early 2moro morning.

I'll see if a can recruit one of my hunting buddies or my neighbor to assist in assembling the walls to the base in the afternoon and then get the trusses assembled and installed then then put on the roof sheathing. and cover it with a tarp till I can pick up the roofing materials.

PICT0035.JPGPICT0037.JPG

PICT0036.JPG

PICT0036.JPG

Edited by 67november

Well now it's starting to look like a fish house. got all the walls up, I do have this big sky light that needs to be covered up yet, I'll be working on that this evening. they're calling for flurries to an inch of snow 2moro.

PICT0045.JPGPICT0042.JPGPICT0041.JPGPICT0043.JPG

Damn, that looks super, 67.

67'

Flew across Vermilion today and it looked like there was a city of ice houses on the Tower side of the lake. Unfortunately it looked like a ghost town on the Cook side. Also stopped by a flyin on Bell Lake by Orr. 40 planks and only one helo. I felt like a turd in the punch bowl!

IR

OK I have the house insulated and the vapor barrier is on. I have to 2 side walls sheathed. I'm going to take a break for the New Year holiday and get back at it again this weekend.

Now a question for those of you who have been following this build. If you were buying this fish house would you prefer to have the walls and ceiling painted white like the floor for better lighting or left unpainted as you see it?

PICT0008.JPGPICT0009.JPGPICT0010.JPGPICT0011.JPG