Air Ambulance - too expensive??

What's the issue? If you're competent and medical transport by air is proposed against your wishes, refuse.

If you're not competent, then somebody will have to decide for you. They'll have carefully considered policies and protocols.

In most of the cases, if helicopter service is required, you're just physically unable to refuse....There's nothing you can do - that's what I call fight for life: both sides (Air ER service and the patient) get broke....but survive.

Helicopters aren't cheep. Life is priceless though. Besides, the uninsured who do not pay, the insurance companies who don't pay all of the cost, etc are the reasons the cost is so high. Hmm, if everyone had government covered medical care, it seems like this would be a non-issue.

It's interesting how people complain when they are well, but when they are dying and literally have minutes to spare and an air ambulance is the only way to save their life, they don't care...

Helicopters aren't cheep. Life is priceless though. Besides, the uninsured who do not pay, the insurance companies who don't pay all of the cost, etc are the reasons the cost is so high. Hmm, if everyone had government covered medical care, it seems like this would be a non-issue.

It's interesting how people complain when they are well, but when they are dying and literally have minutes to spare and an air ambulance is the only way to save their life, they don't care...

We have the government pay schedule. It is called medicaid. The payments are abysmal. Watch and see, but I believe we in the industry will see significant bankruptcy claims amoung the carriers. If not, then the pay scales will be cut. No money, no pay.

I do believe that the rates that ALL Emergency Medicine providers charge are obscene. Procedures should have a posted price for all to see, just like any other service provider or seller of goods. $60 for an asprin is criminal.

Edited by SkidKid

Life is priceless? I am sorry, but that is so naive. If life was priceless, then why is there a limit to the amount my insurance covers? Why is that the death of a child nets a small amount in a civil case, but the death of a 40 year old man can net millions? If life was priceless, we wouldn't be destroying our planet to leave a polluted wasteland for generations to come. Life most definitely has a price and it is far too undervalued. Are you vegan? Because, if not, you don't have any concept of the value of life.

I flew EMS until I realized I was screwing more people than helping them. Only about 10% of the people we flew needed transport by helicopter. The ones who didn't need a helicopter still got charged the $20K whether their insurance covered it our not. Many of the rest are thrown into the helicopter while being completely conscious and never being told what to expect in the way of cost.

Imagine this. You are in a car accident and trapped inside. You are injured, but you are not a medical professional, so you decide to take the word of the one helping you. They say "We are calling a helicopter for you." Most people simply node. I have seen it hundreds of times. If someone says "How much will that cost?" The medical professional says "Don't worry about that at this time." We need to get you to a hospital.

I am sorry to burst the bubble of those who think EMS is a noble profession. Ideally it would be, but corporations with the aim of profit have corrupted it to be almost a complete and utter scam.

I think you read what I was saying wrong. Either that or I didn't write what i intended...

The insurance companies, or "death panels" as I like to call them are largely to blame for high medical costs. Lack of insurance for others and the need of health care providers to charge more to compensate for it also increases the price.

Corporate greed is a large factor as well, but when it comes down to it, if someone will die or experience permanent impairment without that chopper ride, cost should not be a factor. Thats where my "life is priceless" thing came from. If that makes me "naive", then so be it....

Why is that the death of a child nets a small amount in a civil case, but the death of a 40 year old man can net millions?

A 40 year old man has lots of things invested in him already that cannot be easily replaced.

Children are easy, quick, and fun to replace.

A 40 year old man has lots of things invested in him already that cannot be easily replaced.

That's dark, twisted, and sick.

I like it! :)

Most people I fly do not need to be transported, however......

We didn't know that when we arrived, nor did the ground crew. Mechanism of injury--better to be safe than sorry. Long falls, MVC rollover or ejection, etc. all get a helicopter. So if 1 in 4 of these are ok. If you decide not to use the helicopter, what about that 25% that have permanent damage or die because you didn't use a helicopter???

The other stat the media likes to throw around....."75% (or whatever) were treated and released in less than 24 hrs." Well duh!! You flew them to a hospital that had the staff, equipment, and availability to do that. They could still be sitting in the waiting room of the po'dunk band aid station waiting for the on call doctor to drive in.

Hindsight is 20/20, and yes, most people we fly didn't need to be flown. But forward thinking at the time (not ours) said they did. I'll take the risk, fly me.

Yeah, it's probably more than that. You can use the Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh or WSJ numbers if you want.

The POTUS is now saying 30 million instead of 47 million...but he is still lying through his crooked chicago politician teeth!

http://www.businessandmedia.org/printer/20...0718153509.aspx

According to the U.S. census, there are 47 million uninsured Americans. Or 15.8 percent of the population.

That 47 million number included about 12-15 million illegal aliens. It also includes people who can afford insurance who just choose not to buy any. Also included are young folks who don't think they need any. So, the real number of those who really need it but can't afford it are MUCH lower than 47 million.

I'm ripping this off for the sig line.... <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_ohmy.png" alt=":o"> :D :lol: :lol: lmao

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-