• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tenacious T

Tenacious T

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Reading, shooting, aviation, martial arts and beer.
  • Company working for:HEMS Company

Posted 12 January 2010 - 13:55

I have been flying power line patrol in a 500 for a contractor for the local power company for close to a year. It's got me wondering what opportunities there are for doing similar work around the country. I'd like to move to southern California eventually I am wondering if California Edison uses their own aircraft/pilots or if they use contractors. If anyone knows who is doing this work across the US and especially in southern CA I would appreciate the info.

Thanks
"Better to be a tiger for a day than a sheep for a lifetime."

#2 arotrhd

arotrhd

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Location:UPPER ECHELON OF MEDIOCRITY, Danger close to the Western gateway of the IE - a short launch North of the Orange Curtain
  • Interests:Everyone Home Safely. Always.

Posted 12 January 2010 - 16:54

T T-

Edison flight ops is very active and very safety focused - they have their own fleet of AS350s and EC135s (1 has the first dual external-hook certified helo) + a 500. They have a lot pretty sizable region and geography to cover - So Cal to Central Valley & Sierras. They should be moving into new digs at KCNO this coming summer if plans hold. Torbjorn Corell is the chief pilot (and is on the HAI board of directors) and would be the one to speak with regarding current/future opportunities. They tend to keep most of the work in-house and contract (usually) only for large jobs that they don't have the capacity for (Aircrane stuff...). PM me for contact info.

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

Guinness (For Strength). Jameson (For Courage). Lex (For The Effort).
- Cap't Carrol 'Lex' LeFon, USN, 1960-2012

Fair seas and Headwinds over the deck, my Friend.

Commit to memory Checklist Items:

#1 ...Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses...
#2 No smoking 8 hours before the flight or drinking within 25 feet of the aircraft.
#3 If it can't be fixed with a hammer, it must be an electrical problem. Bend to fit, dent to match.
#4 I don't care about being right, as long as I prove you wrong.
#5 If you can't have a really good laugh, at least provide an entertaining cry.
#6 What the large print giveth, the fine print taketh away.
#7 Anyone who flies lower than me is a moron, anyone who flies higher is a maniac, any one who flies the same altitude is a threat.
#8 A boy makes his girl jealous of other women. A Gentleman makes other women jealous of a lady.
#9 The other vehicle is my crumple zone.
#10 One of the goals in my life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.
#11 America has a long history of dealing with those who stomp on rights. There’s the soap box, letter box, ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box for dealing with these sorts.
#12 Passion is what you do when it’s convenient, commitment is what you do when it is inconvenient.
#13 Never argue with an idiot; they bring you down to their level and beat you with their experience.

#14 It is customary caveman tradition to curse inanimate objects after making a mistake that causes injury to self.

#15 History doesn’t always repeat, but it usually rhymes. Tree. Politician. Rope. Some assembly required.

#16 Always plan for the mission as if you are the wetware that others are trying to liquidate somewhere between Destruction Bay and Explosionville.

#17 A goal too easily achieved is often a disappointment.

"I will not turn my clock back. I will be living one hour in the future. I greet you, The People of the Past. Your ways are quaint."

And sometimes, it just has to be said:

"I rode the short bus and I don't remember seeing you on my bus. But you should have been on it."

#3 500F

500F

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:13

Power Companies:
Southern California Edison, (CA)
Boneville Power Administration, (OR)
Public Service Electric & Gas, (NJ)
Salt River Project, (AZ)
Portland General Electric (OR)
National Grid, (NY) &
Teneesee Valley Authority, (AL) have in house flight departments that do it.

Most other power companies use contractors.
Some use Specialized power line contractors that work nation wide like:
Haverfield, (PA)
Air 2, (TN)
Winco (OR)
Wilson Construciton (OR)
PJ (CA)

Others use local operators, with varying patrol time and experience
Some that do a decent amount of it are:
Chesapeake Bay Helicopters (VA)
Minuteman (MT)
Hillsboro Aviation (OR)
JBI (NH)

Hope that Helps!

#4 dondlhmn

dondlhmn

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Wine, women and song.
  • Company working for:R-E-T-I-R-E-D!!!!!

Posted 01 February 2016 - 20:42

Spent time flying powerline in the north central midwest in a B206. The company I flew for doesn't do their own inspection work anymore..hasn't for years IIRC and now uses contractors. I didn't mind it at all as I was on a rotation where I flew the Hawker or the King Air like every other week. The only thing that really bothered me about flying power line was trying to stay awake after lunch....especially on a nice warm day and flying into the sun!!!! I suppose if a guy's main goal was to build time, it would be an OK way to do it, but there is really not much of a challenge to power line patrol (other than staying awake!).

• AS350 pilot likes this

#5 HawkMTP1

HawkMTP1

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 17:51

What are the minimums required to fly power line patrol with one of the companies above?

#6 Flying Pig

Flying Pig

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:48

You'll find all of their minimums on their respective sites.  The usual, 1500, 1000 turbine, time in type, etc etc.  Pretty generic.   I had 2000hrs helicopter with about 1500 in MD500s with long line and off-site experience and couldnt even get an acknowledgment that they received my resume for a couple of those places.  

Edited by Flying Pig, 11 March 2016 - 12:48.

#7 turbotay

turbotay

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Company working for:Fire/Utility

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:10

What are the minimums required to fly power line patrol with one of the companies above?

There's companies not listed above that do patrols as well, when in fact it's not their primary buisness. An example was the first patrol I did, the company I worked for mostly did tours. The selection process for that depended on experience and also if the owner trusted you to represent to company in the field, that's a big factor that will come into play during your career. PM me if you have any questions, good luck!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

LORD_VRHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200BE_VRHome200MaunaLoaVRHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeGenesys VR Forum 200Spectrum_VRHome200NFCVRForum200Home