Best job in the world

Thanks for lunch last week.

Getting paid to fly a Eurocopter and eat Mexican food in an ocean front bungalow in Newport Beach - you sir, definitely have the best job in the world.

See you next year!

You will never hear an argument out of me! Was good to see you. Too bad it was a quick turnaround for you. Like Jeff said, we need to make a trip north. Fly safe!

• 2 weeks later...

Best Part of a flying job? The answers are endless but I'll try to pick out the top 5.

Opportunity, Not many other professions can take you around the world while doing multiple missions centered around one skill "flying a helicopter".

Excitement, Don't get me wrong, I do everything in my power to avoid harry moments but call me crazy I still get a kick and new outlook on life every time a 10lb hawk gets close enough to pluck his feathers over east Texas. Why does Texas have so many freakin birds???

Scenery, Speaking of east Texas! What other job will have you seeing beautiful country in multiple states in one week?

Mental challenge, Not many other professions keep you learning after doing the job for years.

The People, From pilots to mechanics to most FBO workers, people in aviation are a different breed. I Recently had the opportunity to surprise a old dust off pilot from viet nam with a chance to fly a helicopter, something he hasn't done since 75. It's hard to top moments like that.

Are there bad moments? Yes but they are few and far between. Fly safe yall. B)

Edited by rotorbreak

You should have had them send you back to Helistream for the 500. Western has a whole lot more 500 training experience, but jeeze...it's Rialto.

Beggars can't be choosers...

• 1 month later...

This is why we have the best job in the world. EC120AV8R and I had some excitement with this one this morning. He did a great job identifying the vehicle even though they kept telling us it was supposed to be a "red" car. We found this one about 6 miles away from the scene of the crime.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/beach-252428-police-chase.html

The reports of 120mph did not do this one justice. It was one wild ride and thankfully no one was injured.

• 1 year later...

What i love about my job:

1) Flying everyday (40 hrs per week, logging 6hrs per night on average).

2) Flying a LE turbine helicopter chasing bad guys is better than driving a Ferrari

3) 5 weeks of paid vacation every year, if I want to use up that time or I can bank it.

4) Flying one of the largest LE patrol areas of all the USA.

5) Interacting with other airborne LEO's and troops on the ground.

• 3 weeks later...

Been flying for just under a year as a Civilian Pilot for a local LE Agency.... Been a great gig so far! Two aircraft transitions and permission to fly in the most restricted airspace in the world! The down time gets tough but so far its an awesome job!!!

• Like 1

Been flying for just under a year as a Civilian Pilot for a local LE Agency.... Been a great gig so far! Two aircraft transitions and permission to fly in the most restricted airspace in the world! The down time gets tough but so far its an awesome job!!!

NYC?

Fairfax County, VA.

I get it now. When you said restricted, I thought you meant busy. Now I see you meant restricted - literally!

That must be awesome to see all the monuments so up close and personal from the air.

I get it now. When you said restricted, I thought you meant busy. Now I see you meant restricted - literally!

That must be awesome to see all the monuments so up close and personal from the air.

It is great. I consider myself very lucky to be where I am!

• 3 years later...
  • 5 years later...

Oh jeez, Helonorth, do you have to disagree with everything I post? Jealousy? 

Fact: I flew business class to West Palm every 2 years  to do sim training, and it was cheaper to buy a round-the-world ticket than across-and-back. So sit back and enjoy the ride. Singapore sling in the hand before pushback.

Fact: Yes I DID get a tip of US $1000 bucks for carrying around a bunch of irish horse lovers. 

Get over it.

The nicer parts of it were turning the sim training trip into a 4-week holiday, stops in LA, West Palm for the sim, Atlanta, Washington, London, Sussex, Wales, Berlin, Hamburg,  Bonn and Singapore. The sim training was totally worthwhile, all the stuff you can't do in the real thing, ditch in the Hudson etc.

Repeat every 2 years, but vary the stops to visit places unseen. And pick a different airline each time to compare the business service. Qantas was the best, British Airways the worst, others had their good bits.