Hughes 269A, looks like a great price $65000.00

Snowman

Just found this and though someone out there might have an interest, it seems like a great price at $65,000.00 for an operational 269A.

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/classified/se...&maxads=100

• Like 1

price is ok at best... sure it has 1190's and has low total time and was "never a TH55" but that is pretty much crap since it has a th55 tailboom on it right now. So basically someone built this ship up most likely from a crash (not that big of a deal) because 45 years after it was manufactured it now has 700TT. It also has some questionable parts... 269A's are not legal with 300 landing gear dampers... maybe they have a 337 for it.. I don't know.

Just saying...most 269A's are going to be worth about 60k in today's market depending on time components... I'm sure with closer inspection this has some that are getting close. A close to timed out ship might go for $40k and a nice one upwards of 80K... but in the soft market right now, those don't appear to be selling. If you are interested in that helicopter get someone with early hughes 269 experience to help you.

Some aircraft can look much better in the advertisement than in real life. A guy at my airport bought a 269 without inspecting it first. The owner delivered it cross country. I thought that is was cool to have another helicopter on the field. It looked nice from a distance of 50 feet. It was disappointing at 10 feet and became positively scary up close. The new owner flew it for just one flight. He then had the helicopter disassembled and shipped back to the last owner. Of course he paid many thousands of dollars for the experience.

it has a th55 tailboom on it right now.

If you are interested in that helicopter get someone with early hughes 269 experience to help you.

how can one tell that it is a th55 tailboom? :huh:

very good advice---alot more 269 buyers should take the time & spend the $$ up front to make sure they wont spend much more later

yes, it is a little assumption on my part that it was off a TH-55... but I'd put money on it... here's why...

I've never seen any 269 have a big beefy comm antenna mount like they put on the late 55's when they installed the king gold crown comm's in the early 80's. They used a bent piece of aluminum exactly at that point on the tailboom and used rivnuts to secure it. In the photo it matches exactly the size and location of the 55 booms. Original aircraft had a skimpy mount and I can't imagine anyone duplicating the military mount which seems like a huge overkill in GA.

Found the accident report.

NTSB Identification: NYC67A0123

14 CFR Part 91 General Aviation

Event occurred Monday, February 27, 1967 in RUTHERFORD, NJ

Aircraft: HUGHES 269A-1, registration: N8950F

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FILE DATE LOCATION AIRCRAFT DATA INJURIES FLIGHT PILOT DATA F S M/N PURPOSE----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------2-0080 67/2/27 RUTHERFORD,NJ HUGHES 269A-1 CR- 0 0 2 INSTRUCTIONAL COMMERCIAL, FL.INSTR., TIME - 1330 N8950F PX- 0 0 0 DUAL AGE 23, 1208 TOTAL HOURS, DAMAGE-DESTROYED OT- 0 0 0 296 IN TYPE, NOT INSTRUMENT RATED. NAME OF AIRPORT - SKY HARBOR TYPE OF ACCIDENT PHASE OF OPERATION COLLISION WITH GROUND/WATER: CONTROLLED IN FLIGHT: HOVERING PROBABLE CAUSE(S) DUAL STUDENT - IMPROPER OPERATION OF FLIGHT CONTROLS PILOT IN COMMAND - INADEQUATE SUPERVISION OF FLIGHT REMARKS- STUDENTS FIRST HELICOPTER FLIGHT-WAS HANDLING CYCLIC CONTROL ONLY.ACFT FLOAT EQUIPPED.

Pretty sure it is the same helo, unless the owner has two of the exact same make and year helicopters.

I'm not in the market but am always looking, thanks to everyone for showing me what I should know. I have bought many large sailboats and can see that it's the same game on a different street. I still have not seen an operational 269 for less on any of the sites I look at. One question I have rolling around my head, can you change this type of craft to a C model (fuel injected) easily and legally? Just wonder as I live at a very high altitude. :)

Edited by Snowman

Your question.... can you change this model to a C model (fuel injected)

The 269A-1 uses a fuel injected engine HIO-360-B1A.

You cannot convert this helicopter to a C model... the C model uses a larger rotor diameter, longer tailboom and taller mast.

Fuel injection will not give you any better performance, it merely alleviates the potential of carburetor icing.

You can put a B model engine in the A model and get C model performance out of it if you need it for higher altitude. This engine is available via STC.

Generally an A model is good to 5000 density altitude at gross weights. The B model is good to nearly 8000 DA at gross weights. The C model is approved for a higher gross weight and it isn't quite fair to compare them at gross weights but at a typical load carrying capacity of the A or B performs only slightly better than the B model if at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok...I'm interested in this Hughes. I've talked to the owner and believe I've asked all the pertinent questions. Problem is I live on Maui, in Hawaii. I don't want to fly over there to find out this ship is not worth it! I figure that for this price I should, at least, take a look and it and see how she handles! I looked at a hand written partial log that was sent and all the parts seem to have plenty of time left on them. Any one know of anything else that I might need to know "before" I take the flight??

Your question.... can you change this model to a C model (fuel injected)

The 269A-1 uses a fuel injected engine HIO-360-B1A.

You cannot convert this helicopter to a C model... the C model uses a larger rotor diameter, longer tailboom and taller mast.

Fuel injection will not give you any better performance, it merely alleviates the potential of carburetor icing.

You can put a B model engine in the A model and get C model performance out of it if you need it for higher altitude. This engine is available via STC.

Generally an A model is good to 5000 density altitude at gross weights. The B model is good to nearly 8000 DA at gross weights. The C model is approved for a higher gross weight and it isn't quite fair to compare them at gross weights but at a typical load carrying capacity of the A or B performs only slightly better than the B model if at all.

Apiaguy-I am always impressed by your 300 knowledge! Maybe you should charge the guy in Hawaii and go do a pre inspection for him? Just a thought!

Goldy

that's a great idea I never thought about.... always figured there are lots of places to get one done.... how much info does someone need for a $65000 helicopter? That answer probabally dictates that it wouldn't be affordable for what I would charge... so they'll just get any ol' A&P....

Hey, I do give free advice!

But thanks for the thought..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Hello hope all is well,,, i need hela to find those parts to My hughes 269 A 2 T/R blades P/N 6035-1 1 Drive chaft P/N 6040-5 Or 1 Tailbom P/N 2320 Tail rotor strap P/N 369A1706 Gearbox P/N 601 and the interconnect plate Or the clutch plate between the tail bom and the tail bom Gearbox i can not find anything P/N but i need it to I uppreciate your help if you can help me Kind Regards Tony

• 1 month later...

hello, still need to buy parts to my hughes 269a as soon as possible, my technician says that many parts from modell c or b fit, do know some places that have those parts contact ne at this mail real.pilot@hotmail.com and i will return to you with part list that i need thanks Kind regards Tony