EMS Total Time

I am wondering the hour requirements for EMS. I have found company's who state they want 2000TT, 1000 PIC Helicopter, 500 turbine. My question is does airplane time count towards the total time requirement. I will have shortly 2000TT with 1550 Helicopter and 400 hrs turbine. Would it be worth my time to apply. Does anyone have experience with Air Methods, good or bad.

Thanks

Edited by Waldorf

2000TT can include airplane time.

but usually after that is:

1500 total helicopter

1000 PIC helicopter

and sometimes these can include airplane time:

500 turbine

100 night

These are CAMTS accreditation minimums. About 60% of HEMS pays their "tax" to CAMTS. But some states require more TT or more Heli PIC (IL, AL, TN, and a few others.)

You need to get 500 hrs of turbine time (or close enough that you'll hit 500 in training.)

I have seen many companies now including on their job listing that all time is to be Category and Class. Meaning Rotorcraft-Helicopter (airplane time couldn't be used towards it).

I did ask though about IFR time since many helicopter pilots now a days don't have much. I was told my one company they would take it into consideration some airplane IFR time but not to count on it. I asked because it is cheaper to fly an airplane to build up some IFR time if need be.

What kind of night time do you have in a helicopter. This they will want to know for sure. Minimum is 150 but many companies want more. Take a look at the job postings at Airmethods.com and they list the requirements there. 1550 helicopter hours won't be enough I suspect. Most companies right now want a minimum of 2000 hours helicopter with a preference of 3000 hours.

JD

I've been with Air Methods Corp. since they bought Rocky Mountain.

In many ways, it's a 'big company', and that's a mixed blessing. 'Bigs' can be impersonal and bureaucratic, and there's a tremendous amount of 'stuff' to be managed in a company AMC's size, so- at times it is impersonal and bureaucratic. Fortunately, in EMS the quality of your working life is mostly influenced by your base and program. I've been with the same program 8.5 years, and I'd happily work at any of our bases.

It doesn't hurt to submit a resume even if you think you might not meet the requirements. They vary by company, and vary with each company over time, depending on their needs at the moment. Sometimes they will waiver some requirements for individual jobs, if they have a hard time filling a slot at a particular location. Nothing is set in stone, and things can vary either way. Sometimes you need more than the minimums they post, sometimes less, although they mostly go by them. There is no one answer to your question; as always, it depends.

• 9 months later...

It doesn't hurt to submit a resume even if you think you might not meet the requirements. They vary by company, and vary with each company over time, depending on their needs at the moment. Sometimes they will waiver some requirements for individual jobs, if they have a hard time filling a slot at a particular location. Nothing is set in stone, and things can vary either way. Sometimes you need more than the minimums they post, sometimes less, although they mostly go by them. There is no one answer to your question; as always, it depends.

Why does CAMTS require you to have turbine engine time? I have flown both (mainly piston) and don't really see their logic.

CAMTS is in business to promote itself. Its reason for existence is to make money. They come up with lots of things just to have something, and often their requirements make no sense at all. From what I can see, nobody there has any experience in actual EMS operations. The inspectors I've seen are basically clueless. All that said, having turbine time is essential, because starting a turbine in the middle of the night is difficult enough if you have experience, and if you've only done it a few times you're much more likely to melt the engine. Making scene landings and takeoffs at 3AM is also no time to be learning to manage turbine engines. EMS is difficult flying, with little chance for practice and maintaining proficiency. This is not a learning environment.

I am wondering the hour requirements for EMS. I have found company's who state they want 2000TT, 1000 PIC Helicopter, 500 turbine. My question is does airplane time count towards the total time requirement. I will have shortly 2000TT with 1550 Helicopter and 400 hrs turbine. Would it be worth my time to apply. Does anyone have experience with Air Methods, good or bad.

Thanks

No I wouldnt apply for anything. Why waste your time. I would have gone to Vegas last month and met these companies face to face. Then I would have handed them my resume. Just a thought.

Resumes don't always generate a phone call, face to face meetings or a group going to dinner might just land you a job. From what I heard of the Vegas event, there was a lot of that face to face happening.

Even today, I think your time could get you into a company if you knew some of the right players. Just talking to one of the EMS companies, I have seen an increase in unaided night PIC req's, 100-250 hours is not that uncommon. So whenever possible, grab some night hours.