To the academy? Or not to the academy?

Looks like B-More is hiring a TFO.

http://www.bpdrecruit.com/uploads/1/0/1/3/10131952/flight_officer.pdf

"at least 1400 hours of helicopter pilot time, the majority of which must have been as pilot in command."

"personal logbooks alone will not be considered adequate to meet this requirement."

Can anybody explain that last part to a CFI who is just logging his time in a Jeppesen book?

I thought at most departments the TFO was an observer position? Those are some pretty high req's to just have a guy ride along spotting. I also think Baltimore would be a tough place to work right now.

• Like 1

"at least 1400 hours of helicopter pilot time, the majority of which must have been as pilot in command."

"personal logbooks alone will not be considered adequate to meet this requirement."

Can anybody explain that last part to a CFI who is just logging his time in a Jeppesen book?

They want you to be able to back it up if needed with references, etc, not just think because you show up with 1800hrs in a log book that its taken at face value. Your log book alone will not be their sole source of verifying your claims.

Ive even seen recruitments where they have put "PIC does not include time flown in Robinson helicopters or any other piston powered helicopter"

I've even seen them where they specify a set number of hours flown within the geographical boundaries of a particular state or even down to the specific county the agency is located in. Thats usually how you know they already have a pilot identified and that the recruitment is simply a legal formality.

Edited by Flying Pig

Ive even seen recruitments where they have put "PIC does not include time flown in Robinson helicopters or any other piston powered helicopter"

This is definitely my most favorite post ever,...HAAAAAAAA!

I thought at most departments the TFO was an observer position? Those are some pretty high req's to just have a guy ride along spotting. I also think Baltimore would be a tough place to work right now.

Baltimore is hiring, but yes it's a Flight Officer (pilot), not a Tactical Flight Officer (observer) position. Flight Officers are hired externally. TFOs are done internally.

It's a long road, even as a pilot, though. BPD requires you to go through the police academy and do field training, plus about 100 hours of additional flight training, including the factory course for EC120s.

It's a lot of flying once you're there. About 4 hours/day, 4-5 days a week. And it's more interesting flying than a lot of other gigs.

As far as the logbooks, it's nothing magical. Just expect a thorough background check. The place leans military, too. All the pilots are ex-military, so logbook verification is a lot easier for them.

• Like 3

Just to clarify...being military isn't a requirement, it's just that most guys meeting the requirements and are willing to go through the somewhat paramilitary police training are military, and it reflects in the current makeup of the unit. All the pilots (though not the TFOs) are currently ex-mil. If you've got the rotor time and are willing to deal with the harassment package, e.g. shooting, (fairly easy) physical training, 10 weeks working patrol in field training, etc, by all means, contact the recruiters at BPD.

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Probably not referring to you...probably want someone who does.more than just 'recreational flying' if you are a working instructor, this probably doesnt refer to you...but if you have a shred of interest in this position, you should be talking with their chief pilot...not a forum

Also, stay away from drones...thats gonna take many more years to become mainstream AND most importantly, you want to fly. Drones will leave you unfulfilled...take it from me