MAXIMUM age for a waiver

I've searched all over the place and can't find a solid answer. I've tried calling and emailing the states strength officer and can't get a reply. I'm trying to figure out the maximum age without prior service to get a waiver in the guard is. What's the oldest someone has been in flight school at Ft. Rucker? I just turned 37 and am a firefighter/paramedic, civilian pilot/instructor and designated examiner for light sport aircraft. The desire to fly medevac for the National Guard hit me like a ton of bricks an di can't stop thinking about it. I want to do it BAD but just don't know if I'm too old now (37 is so young still! :-) )

THANKS for any info you all can provide!

I've searched all over the place and can't find a solid answer. I've tried calling and emailing the states strength officer and can't get a reply. I'm trying to figure out the maximum age without prior service to get a waiver in the guard is. What's the oldest someone has been in flight school at Ft. Rucker? I just turned 37 and am a firefighter/paramedic, civilian pilot/instructor and designated examiner for light sport aircraft. The desire to fly medevac for the National Guard hit me like a ton of bricks an di can't stop thinking about it. I want to do it BAD but just don't know if I'm too old now (37 is so young still! :-) )

THANKS for any info you all can provide!

Hey -

I totally understand the desire to fly MEDEVAC; it's what I want to do in the Active Army. My suggestion, though, would be to go talk to a recruiter (or several), since they are the ones with that info, and not us. We can only give you second-hand knowledge that you would have to confirm through a recruiter anyway, and since 37 is over the "limit" you can't exactly afford to waste any time. The reason I say talk to several recruiters is because you might end up talking to one that just doesn't want to do the extra paperwork to push an age waiver thorugh.

...I just realized you don't say anything about any prior service - have you served before? Unfortunately, the National Guard/Reserves don't take "street to seat"...

- Lindsey

I have a friend of mine going through Flight school who is 38, and in the National Guard. I don't think there is an actual limit on the age waiver, it's just a matter of getting the age waiver approved. Your cedentials seem quite favorable. The active army can be so hit or miss with this sort of thing.

Another big thing, is that you are not in anyway guaranteed MEDEVAC, in fact not even Blackhawks (truly the only MEDEVAC aircraft in the army) if you join the active Army. The National Guard, however, can guarantee you being in a MEDEVAC unit. My initial thought, is if you joined a MEDEVAC National guard unit as a flight medic, you'd get in flying on the blackhawks, getting to know the pilots and prove yourself to the unit, and thusly making an easy transition towards WOFT. This could take a few more years, but still possible.

I hear time and time again that the National Guard doesn't do any sort of "street to seat", but it's just not entirely true, it's simply not advertised and a bit rare. A fellow soldier in my unit is currently at Fort Rucker going through flight training, and came straight off the street. The big problem, is that its not easy for a National Guard unit to coordinate Basic Training, and then going to WOCS and then to flight school. He had to go to basic, then back home for a couple months, almost waiting for a short notice phone call on when a slot became available for WOCS.

It involved a bit of help from the Chief Command Warrant Officer of our state, to help coordinate things, but it worked. Basically, there probably isn't a single recruiter out there willing to ask higher ups for the help. Having a connection in the state's Guard would certainly help. Just want to say, it's positively possible to do.

What state are you from, firefly?