Traffic Patrol

Can traffic patrol with a passenger (reporter) be done under Part 91?

I suppose with some strict limitations. You can only fly a radius of 25 miles and you have to take off and land at the same place.(or airport).

That doesnt fit 90% of the traffic market but I dont know of anything that would keep you from doing it under 91, except for those two limitations. Read 91.147

And of course, you can't fly in Ethiopia or Somalia...

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

Yes and that's how 99% of it is done.

It isn't charter, it's "aerial work". Whether the photographer/reporter/observer is a contracted company employee or employed by the station, it's still "aerial work".

There is no mileage limit on aerial work.

The only thing that cannot happen is that they use the helicopter as transporation. So, if you leave from the airport, then drop them off at the TV station after you're done--that's 135. If you fly them out to a news scene, land, and they shoot a live broadcast from the ground then fly them back to where you took off--that's 135.

If you fly down to the Gulf, shoot aerial video of the oil spill, stay 3 nights, then come back home--that's 91. As long as you brought them back home and the transportation in the helicopter was incidental to the trip, then 91. As soon as they use the helicopter to get somewhere (to a ground location for something constructive), then it's 135.

We used to take off for breaking news from the hangar, then hang out at the station for an hour or two before our afternoon traffic watch. After that, back to the airport. It was all 91.

Yes and that's how 99% of it is done.

It isn't charter, it's "aerial work". Whether the photographer/reporter/observer is a contracted company employee or employed by the station, it's still "aerial work".

There is no mileage limit on aerial work.

I don't doubt for a second that you are correct, I know nothing of ENG ops....but can you point me in the right direction where 91 talks about aerial work?