ENG Pilots

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
I think being in the right place at the right time definitely is the key for some ENG markets.  In a story similar to the 350 hour pilot mentioned above, I was part of a static display in the helicopter section at an airshow in the Detroit area several years ago.  I recognized one of the most notable ENG pilots in the area, and went over to talk to him.  I asked him how he got into the ENG business.  Turns out he was in broadcasting/announcing at a local station in a minor capacity, and someone in management had heard he was working on his PP ASEL with no prior helicopter experience.  Management at the station offered to pay for all his training if he stayed on to do the traffic reporting, and he took them up on it.  I believe he started out with them in a Hughes 500, and has been in B206's since.  Somebody feel free to correct me on the equipment history if you know who I'm talking about.  Many of us wish we had been so blessed me thinks.

• 1 year later...

I started flying ENG in 92 after a lift contract abruptly ended when a hurricane destroyed the project. That was almost 15 years ago and I'm still at it. A friend had told me that the local station was looking for a pilot so I hunted it down. Pretty much the right time in the right place. Pay is good, hours okay and plenty of time to do my own thing.. www.thegiftofgroove.com I have come close to jumping ship for other jobs but never quite do it. Great bunch of folks to work for, home every night and, well, San Diego. I don't think all contracts are similar. When I started it was a matter of proving my worth over the last guy but time panned that all out and it's been good. Definitely times of boredom but I have yet to hear about a job in this industry that isn't. One thing that did help was that I had a background in electronics, RF, Computers etc. On many occasions I find myself in engineering trying to work out bugs in the equipment. It helps to have an idea as to what makes it work. Another trait to have is loads of tenacity.

best of luck,

Kyle

You could find yourself in an R44 at well under 1,000 hours, especially if you have solid R44 time. Most turbine contracts (Helinet, US Heli, ect) are looking for 1,000 - 1,500 total and 100 to 500 turbine. Often the minimums are not imposed by the operator, but by the TV station's liability carrier.

As Sky10 and nbit said, right place/right time and tenacity are key. The same could be said for most good jobs...

• 2 weeks later...
<font color='#0000FF'>What are the hourly requirements to get hired, what kind of pay and how many hours a month do you get? Just curious.

Steve rotorheadsmiley</font>

I don't remember what the requirements were, but the pay was $160 for a 9.5 hour evening shift with no guarantee of flying. Unfortunately (or fortunately), the job disappeared right as I finished getting checked out in the AS350B2 as a result of HVA losing the contract with GE because of the WNBC accident.

Doug

Ditto the last three post about right place and time. I got the gig with HVA because an old squadronmate of mine was flying for Helinet at the time and mentioned that HVA was looking for someone.

• 1 year later...
<font color='#0000FF'>What are the hourly requirements to get hired, what kind of pay and how many hours a month do you get? Just curious.

Steve rotorheadsmiley</font>

Nice photo from John's office ask your boss he only was # 2 in the biz for 10 years... 2000 tt 500 turbine remember insurance 20 million liability... and three weeks ojt as dual before you ever get close...unless you want to fly an r-44. much lower

Nice photo from John's office ask your boss he only was # 2 in the biz for 10 years... 2000 tt 500 turbine remember insurance 20 million liability... and three weeks ojt as dual before you ever get close...unless you want to fly an r-44. much lower

Is there a school out there that trains people for this kind of work?

• 6 months later...

It all depends on the company and the type of equipment you'll be flying. Typically if you're flying turbine birds you'll need at least 1000 hrs but if you're flying piston birds you can get by with less.

Call the employers who you want to fly for and ask them what there mins are and develop a relationship with them.