WARRANT OFFICER FLIGHT TRAINING

I am a civilian and already had my MEPS physical. I was able to locate a relatively close Air Force base, look up the flight medicine groups number, and schedule an Army Class 1 initial Flight Physical.

I got a pass to get on base and knocked everything out(labs, dentist, EKG, chest X-ray, vision, and medical history/ physical) in a single day.

I then had the AF flight medicine group send the packet to usarmy.rucker.medcom-lahc.list.lahc-aero-helpdesk@mail.mil and Rucker stamped it a couple weeks later and put it into the database that is viewable for army flight medicine (the system is called Aeros or arrows). My WOSM then had his medic pull the physical.

Hopefully that helps,

Zack

• Like 1

JD,

The letters will come from the first officer in your Chain and the first O4 or O5 in your chain of command. The exception is if you base commander is a pilot he can write on for you. Do make sure still get a letter from a warrant as well. I only did the three mandatory. I looked at the checklist as a this is what we want no more no less. Just my personal approach though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I apologize in advance if some of these questions are dumb...

1. Do warrant officers have to do PT everyday once assigned a unit?

2. On average, how long does it take from graduating WOCS to graduating flight school?

3. When you graduate WOCS do they give you some time off to look for a house?

4. Is there sh*t to do near enterprise on weekends? Do people go to the beach a lot?

5. If you absolutely hate your assigned duty station upon graduation, is there any process by which you can request a different one?

6. How is WO pilot life in general?

Thanks!!!

I apologize in advance if some of these questions are dumb...

1. Do warrant officers have to do PT everyday once assigned a unit?

2. On average, how long does it take from graduating WOCS to graduating flight school?

3. When you graduate WOCS do they give you some time off to look for a house?

4. Is there sh*t to do near enterprise on weekends? Do people go to the beach a lot?

5. If you absolutely hate your assigned duty station upon graduation, is there any process by which you can request a different one?

6. How is WO pilot life in general?

Thanks!!!

1. It depends on the unit

2. Took me a year. Some folks are there for close to 2 years. Really depends on the bubbles.

3. Yes

4. Beach is about an hour and some change away. But, most folks find something to pique their interest around the area.

5. Yeah, do your 3-4 year tour at that duty station and then hopefully get a better assignment later. Biggest advice is grow where you are planted.

6. I absolutely love my job. There are some not so savory parts about it. But, on a whole, it is very fulfilling. You will get many opinions on this topic . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I am also applying for the WOFT program. I am going to feel out my recruiter a little bit more but if he is not more helpful... and soon... I am going to start taking more things into my own hands. So, with that being said, I understand that I can go through my local ROTC to schedule and take my SIFT. But, how do I go about scheduling my own Flight Physical. I am from the Midwest, just in case anyone has any specific knowledge.

I am Air Guard and already have my DD Form 368 already. I have already filled out most of the packet, and am working on LOR's. But, in the mean time, I want to get things at least scheduled so that I can plan properly and not procrastinate.

I also have the need for a waiver, of the moral type. Does anyone have any advice? I have been studying this site, using the search bar with all types of criteria and can't find anything that also pertains to me. Any help is much appreciated.

Also, as far as LOR's go, I have seen, and understand the advice given for street to seat guys, but as I am Prior Service, should I do my two commanders and SWO.... and also the three others? Or should I just do the three mandatory ones? Please keep in mind that I need the moral waivers. One for speeding (yes it is over $250) and one for five counts of retail theft under $150 (From ten years ago, 16 yrs of age).

V/r,

jd4734

Prior service as well, only did the 3 LORs and got selected in May.

• 3 months later...

I am going to MEPS on Friday to enlist and was told that I will have to do a medical inspection beforehand because my original physical was more than 30 days ago (March 2018). Ive been told its only height, weight, and blood pressure, but I doubt MEPS would make anything that simple.

Your enlistment trip to MEPS is going to suck ass.

Yes, you will do an "inspect" once again. You'll be weighed. You will stand around in your skivvies while the doctors make a group of you do a couple exercises. You'll meet one on one with the Doctor once again only to make sure nothing has changed. No a**hole prodding and sack checks this time around. Your "inspect" group of people are mostly comprised of some fat bodies that failed weigh ins before and had to wait until they shed weight to come and re qulify - at least was the case when I did it. The nurse made a comment after I stepped off the scale "Good job losing that weight!" Needless to say I was puzzled at that comment until I realized I was in the "inspect" (fat group) which I guess they didn't realize I was WOFT.

Depending on what MEPS you are going to, you'll be back loading behind the "shippers" whom will get priority to leave first which means you probably won't sign and swear in till late in the day. You'll probably get dibbs on signing first after they get rid of the shippers as they normally only see about 2-3 WOFT people per year at any given MEPS station and may consider you "special" lol. It is worth it though.

I believe the other poster was referring to the Flight Physical not the MEPS stuff. You won't do another one of those until you get to Rucker.

P.S. - This MEPS trip probably won't suck, It was just my 4th time going there since starting WOFT and I can't wait until the last time on my Ship date then I'll never have to go there again. The poor, poor enlisted & Officers assigned to MEPS must cry themselves to sleep every night after working there day in & out. Good Luck!

Not sure if all the MEPS changed... but they completely revamped the Boston MEPS between my initial enlistment in 2007 and when I went back up last year. New, professional, less creepy staff, new interior, much more streamlined process, etc. Not sure if they are trying to make MEPS less creepy all around, or Boston just got lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to MEPS on Friday to enlist and was told that I will have to do a medical inspection beforehand because my original physical was more than 30 days ago (March 2018). Ive been told its only height, weight, and blood pressure, but I doubt MEPS would make anything that simple.

Turns out it was only height and weight. They looked at the palms of my hands and feet then I was good to go.

Like all MEPS trips, Id expect to be there all day, but youll probably get outta there by noon.

• 6 months later...

Hey guys I was a street to seat candidate and just got selected for WOFT. I used VR extensively and in trying to give back I'm making a video series on you tube basically walking you through the entire process. I have a few videos up now if you want to check them out. I would also appreciate any feedback/things to add I might have left out. (For you guys that also went through the process.) anyhow here is the link below to my intro.

• Like 2

Hey guys I was a street to seat candidate and just got selected for WOFT. I used VR extensively and in trying to give back I'm making a video series on you tube basically walking you through the entire process. I have a few videos up now if you want to check them out. I would also appreciate any feedback/things to add I might have left out. (For you guys that also went through the process.) anyhow here is the link below to my intro.

Glad to see you are adding some more WOFT content to YouTube! It is somewhat lacking, and there are only a few notable channels that have made videos pertaining to our situation. Hope to see you at Rucker in October.

• 1 month later...

I know I'm putting the cart well ahead of the horse, but this question has been bugging me and the local recruiter hasn't been super helpful in answering this question for me.

Will I have time between WOCS and the start of the IERW, am I going to have the time to return back to my home and help my wife do the move, or should we be planning on her doing that solo?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm putting the cart well ahead of the horse, but this question has been bugging me and the local recruiter hasn't been super helpful in answering this question for me.

Will I have time between WOCS and the start of the IERW, am I going to have the time to return back to my home and help my wife do the move, or should we be planning on her doing that solo?

You'll PCS there, and the Army will move you there. Apply for housing ASAP. Just give them a call and they'll guide you. If you're street to seat you'll more than likely have a longer gap than others after WOCS, but generally you go straight into the next available class all the way down the pipeline.

Once you graduate WOCS you will inprocess into B Co, at that time you will be given “PCS Leave” it’s a 10 day period for you to get all your stuff here and find a place to live. This is not chargeable annual leave so it won’t count against your balance. Also the staff here are willing to work with students, if you need some time they will let you take leave

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

I am doing my homework to ensure I qualify as an applicant from the AD side of things.

BLUF: Does anyone know which date is used to compute the 8 Years of Active Federal Service (AFS) limit?

I saw a notice on the WO recruiting site that the maximum AFS for applicants has been lowered to 8 years (link below). I am currently AD but I initially enlisted into the ARNG and transferred over, so on my ERB I have different dates for PEBD and BASD. My BASD was backdated and adjusted after S1 did a DA 1506 to add up my guard time and condense it into active duty service.

I assume BASD is used, but I wanted to double check. For enlisted promotions TIS was based off my BASD, but for pay bumps my PEBD was used.

I always get strange looks when people look at my ERB, I figure someone on here has had a similar career path.

https://recruiting.army.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1827312/attention-153a-applicants/

On 12/16/2019 at 12:09 AM, Total.Activation said:

Hello all,

I am doing my homework to ensure I qualify as an applicant from the AD side of things.

BLUF: Does anyone know which date is used to compute the 8 Years of Active Federal Service (AFS) limit?

I saw a notice on the WO recruiting site that the maximum AFS for applicants has been lowered to 8 years (link below). I am currently AD but I initially enlisted into the ARNG and transferred over, so on my ERB I have different dates for PEBD and BASD. My BASD was backdated and adjusted after S1 did a DA 1506 to add up my guard time and condense it into active duty service.

I assume BASD is used, but I wanted to double check. For enlisted promotions TIS was based off my BASD, but for pay bumps my PEBD was used.

I always get strange looks when people look at my ERB, I figure someone on here has had a similar career path.

https://recruiting.army.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1827312/attention-153a-applicants/

I was in this exact situation. From my understanding, they use your BASD to calculate AFS. I submitted my packet and did not require a waiver even though my PEBD was over 8 years (BASD was a little under 4 years). Hope this helps. Good luck to you. 

4 minutes ago, BigMac4 said:

I was in this exact situation. From my understanding, they use your BASD to calculate AFS. I submitted my packet and did not require a waiver even though my PEBD was over 8 years (BASD was a little under 4 years). Hope this helps. Good luck to you. 

I appreciate the response.  Thanks for confirming, these are the kinds of situations that S1 scratches their heads over. Good luck with your packet.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2018 at 3:17 AM, Lindsey said:

Ive offered to send the original .doc to anyone wanting to update it but no one stepped up. Since then Ive replaced my computer and dont have the .doc, just the pdf. But please, feel free to update. Lots of stuff has changed. Hell, everything involving an aircraft has changed.

still have it? need all the heads up i can get before i jump off the MP train to go aviation

Hey All,

I’ve got a bit of an interesting situation pertaining to WOFT and Army Aviation in general. About 6-7 months ago I decided to try and start to put my WOFT packet together through my local recruiter. I met the qualifications for my GT and passed my SIFT early on but, didn’t realize how much of my time and effort and discipline this packet takes, and ended up slacking and half-assing the whole thing. After many meetings with my recruiter and him basically seeing it the lack of effort in the packet as well, I’ve decided to shift gears on that for now, while trying to come up with a plan to better prepare for and create a much stronger packet than I would have submitted (20 yrs old, no flight experience, what would have been a poor APFT score, etc.). I am in the process of joining the Guard and getting into an aviation unit doing maintenance, and also planning on using the ANGEAP (I’m from Alabama) to go to school that offers a flight major to hopefully strengthen my packet and get familiarity with Army Aircraft. Long story short, is it possible to drop a WOFT packet for Active duty while enlisted in the guard, or would it be easier to apply as prior service after completing the enlistment for the guard? Thanks in advance for any help!