BoxDude

Student Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Motorcycles, Cars, Mountain Biking, Snowboarding
  • Company working for:None

Posted 02 February 2011 - 16:20

I agree - I'm going in for a full 20 if not longer. There's no way I'm leaving the Army's sweet birds to be an R22 instructor for $15/hr :D

#42 SBuzzkill

SBuzzkill

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 20:41

#43 hking13

hking13

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 23:33

This is a great thread!

I've managed to finance 110 hrs of civilian flight lessons and currently have my private rotorcraft w/ instrument rating. I'm having a little trouble finding financing to finish up, and I would be honored to fly for my country. The only problem is I may have missed the boat; my 28th birthday is next week and I would need to get vision corrective surgery.
Is it true that 27 y.o. is the cutoff and if so, does anyone have any experience getting an age waiver?

Thanks for your time.

#44 gary-mike

gary-mike

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, power sports, the great outdoors
  • Company working for:Commercial RW Student / USAF Retired

Posted 08 February 2011 - 00:43

This is a great thread!

I've managed to finance 110 hrs of civilian flight lessons and currently have my private rotorcraft w/ instrument rating. I'm having a little trouble finding financing to finish up, and I would be honored to fly for my country. The only problem is I may have missed the boat; my 28th birthday is next week and I would need to get vision corrective surgery.
Is it true that 27 y.o. is the cutoff and if so, does anyone have any experience getting an age waiver?

Thanks for your time.

For the Army Warrant officer program you can be up 33. At least that is what I saw on their site. I was looking at the active duty aplicant requirements though, so you may want to check thier site or find a local recruiter. Good luck and don't give up.

#45 pau7784

pau7784

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 20:59

omg you are right i have been studying from the barrons study guide book and it keeps giving me the wrong answers on the practice test is there a better guide put there? i have my afast test schedule for the 22 of this month help please?

thank u

#46 ripperoo

ripperoo

PVT Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 14:51

omg you are right i have been studying from the barrons study guide book and it keeps giving me the wrong answers on the practice test is there a better guide put there? i have my afast test schedule for the 22 of this month help please?

thank u

Download the ARCO study guide or buy the peterson's, the baron's is full of errors. I studied the Barron's book for a month and I kept wondering why I kept screwing up. It was a real confidence shaker!. I looked the book up on amazon and other people have complained of the same. I bought the peterson's and I did a ton better. Memorize those symbols! Good luck!
Aroo?

#47 Vaelor

Vaelor

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Sailing, Soaring, Diving, Running, Offshore swimming, Surfing, Literature, Electronics, History.
  • Company working for:Army of the United States - Warrant Officer

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:03

I second the ARCO recommendation. Barron's is literally stuffed full of errors *in every section* of their AFAST chapters. I was finding junk in their "Helicopter Knowledge" section that was wrong in subtle, insidious ways, or wrong without any attempt at explanation. Things I would not have even thought to question if I wasn't already flight instructing myself. So so ARCO / Peterson's if you value your score and your sanity.

If you really feel like stomping on the knowledge based AFAST sections, pick up one of ASA's Certified Flight Instructor written exam guides and study every section that the appendix lists as being applicable to Rotorcraft CFI tests. If you can score 90% or more on practice FAA written tests without cheating, you are going to dominate that part of the AFAST. But it's a lot of work for one section, so keep that in mind if you're on the fence about it.

Hint: I recommend you do.
  • schep likes this
Posted Image

#48 schep

schep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:42

This is my first post but regardless, I stumbled upon this site when I was looking for helpful RW information and I think I hit the motherload. For every question there are three answers. Everyone tries to help everyone and it is generally a happy community.

I'm an active duty E-4 of 20 years looking into flight school. I'll be purchasing some of the helpful guides mentioned on this site very soon so I can score high on the AFAST. I don't really have too many questions pertaining to the military flight school or process of submitting a packet but if there is anything anyone thinks I should know, aside from studying the manuals and such, please send your ideas my way as they would be greatly appreciated!

#49 SBuzzkill

SBuzzkill

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 17:32

This is my first post but regardless, I stumbled upon this site when I was looking for helpful RW information and I think I hit the motherload. For every question there are three answers. Everyone tries to help everyone and it is generally a happy community.

I'm an active duty E-4 of 20 years looking into flight school. I'll be purchasing some of the helpful guides mentioned on this site very soon so I can score high on the AFAST. I don't really have too many questions pertaining to the military flight school or process of submitting a packet but if there is anything anyone thinks I should know, aside from studying the manuals and such, please send your ideas my way as they would be greatly appreciated!

:blink:

Wat

Edited by SBuzzkill, 24 September 2011 - 17:32.

#50 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts
  • Interests:Autos.
  • Company working for:U.S. Army Aviation/Civilian CFI

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:33

:blink:

Wat

Maybe he meant, Active Duty E-4 and 20 years old??
  • USAR153D and SBuzzkill like this

#51 SBuzzkill

SBuzzkill

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:46

Let's hope so :lol:

Hey schep what branch are you coming from? What's your specialty? Have you started your packet yet?

Definitely use this as a resource when putting your packet together. My PM box is always open to questions although I'm by no means an expert on the application process. I encourage you to ask your questions in the thread though so that they can be useful to others.

Edited by SBuzzkill, 25 September 2011 - 14:47.

#52 USAR153D

USAR153D

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Company working for:USAR

Posted 27 September 2011 - 18:33

Maybe he meant, Active Duty E-4 and 20 years old??

Of course he did. It's not possible to be a 20 year E4. They'd give you the boot way before that.

Edited by Marine4WOFT, 17 January 2012 - 21:25.

#53 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts
  • Interests:Autos.
  • Company working for:U.S. Army Aviation/Civilian CFI

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:31

I'm back, guys. I was never really gone, though. Anyway, reassembling my packet and aiming for it to be done in 6ish months. This feels good. :)
  • USAR153D and wopilot like this

#54 wopilot

wopilot

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Interests:Golf..then flying..then golf.. and more flying sometimes both at the same time.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 19:09

I'm back, guys. I was never really gone, though. Anyway, reassembling my packet and aiming for it to be done in 6ish months. This feels good. :)

Good Luck!!

#55 yakfishr19

yakfishr19

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:WOFT

Posted 14 February 2012 - 15:14

Does anyone know if the Why I want to be a Army Aviator letter has to be written in cursive or print?

#56 akscott60

akscott60

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Firearms, and Freedom.
  • Company working for:CH47F Instructor Pilot.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 15:47

Well, handwriting analysis, and a cursory glance at your classical education level.

#57 SBuzzkill

SBuzzkill

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 17:16

I wrote mine in cursive... I have no idea if that is a requirement.

#58 t.o.n.y

t.o.n.y

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Company working for:Army

Posted 19 February 2012 - 00:30

With time getting closer (yet still a ways out) I'm getting excited again to ship out and get started. What was your favorite thing about BCT and WOCS? Overall experience, something in particular?

#59 akscott60

akscott60

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Firearms, and Freedom.
  • Company working for:CH47F Instructor Pilot.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:37

Favorite part of both was graduation. Same with SERE.

Just hunker down and enjoy.

When do you ship to Benning?

#60 t.o.n.y

t.o.n.y

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Company working for:Army

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:34

Early May. Started P90X last week and am hurting. I hope after all this my score shoots up, was a 256 on my last APFT. Anything to get in better shape for it all though will be worth it. Will make another trip out to WA and Lewis early April, say hi to one of the 4/6 guys I know and bring some more tasty goodies for the office like last time.

Edited by t.o.n.y, 19 February 2012 - 10:38.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

MaunaLoaVRHome200Midwest Helicopter Academy 200 - 2016Genesys VR Forum 200ColoradoHeliOpsHome200Able_VRHOme200DevoreHome200Helmet FX Home 200PrecisionVRForumHome200NFCVRForum200HomeHeliHelmets-VR Home