WOFT and AFAST

I am in the process of applying for Warrant Officer in the Army from civilian with no prior military background. I've started my packet and have been studying for the AFAST. I've taken the advice of many posts from the forums as to my study materials and scoured the internet finding multiple sites exploding with all sorts of technical knowledge from controls to aerodynamics to the selection boards. I took the ARCO practice AFAST and scored 88 out of the 100 questions that count correctly, but I do not know how to score that into the 176 max score I keep reading about in past posts. Most of those past posts are from 2005-2007. I am looking for some current insight to WOFT and AFAST and the current demand for Army aviators. Any information will be helpful.

Thank you in advance.

Danial.

• Like 7

Trying to figure out how it is scored is hard as hell with the combination of grade/ungraded sections. My recruiter couldn't explain it to me. Master the Arco book and you should be fine. I did about 10 hours of time with Arco practice tests and the FAA Rotorcraft Manual and got comfortable with all the AFAST sections and got a 145, which the board was content with.

• Like 1

Trying to figure out how it is scored is hard as hell with the combination of grade/ungraded sections. My recruiter couldn't explain it to me. Master the Arco book and you should be fine. I did about 10 hours of time with Arco practice tests and the FAA Rotorcraft Manual and got comfortable with all the AFAST sections and got a 145, which the board was content with.

^This. A combination of the ARCO book and FAA Rotorcraft Manual scored me a 140. Oh, and common sense when answering the Personal Background section. For me, personally, I had to make damn sure I studied the mechanical section, because I basically knew nothing. For that I used a lot of the ASVAB study guide books, since they cover a similar section pretty decently.

Both of the above books are available online for free...

^This. A combination of the ARCO book and FAA Rotorcraft Manual scored me a 140. Oh, and common sense when answering the Personal Background section. For me, personally, I had to make damn sure I studied the mechanical section, because I basically knew nothing. For that I used a lot of the ASVAB study guide books, since they cover a similar section pretty decently.

Both of the above books are available online for free...

I got a 140 as well utilizing the arco book as well as the FAA rotorcraft manual. The FAA manual can be downloaded as a PDF for free:

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/media/faa-h-8083-21.pdf

You just check the book out and practice the complex movment section. Get the key's down, and practice before you go out the door to do the test at MEPS. I got a 148 on it. Don't get to worried about the test its not that bad.

• 4 months later...

You just check the book out and practice the complex movment section. Get the key's down, and practice before you go out the door to do the test at MEPS. I got a 148 on it. Don't get to worried about the test its not that bad.

Hey Guys,

What AFAST study guide/book do you guys recommend? I was also curious to see how long you all studied for before you took the test.

I do have a current GT score of 114 from my ASVAB that I took back in 2000 before I joined the Marines as well. Do you think I should retake the ASVAB to get a higher GT score or just kick butt on the AFAST?

Thanks guys!

The GT score is fine. Its over 110 thats all that matters.

I practiced the AFAST for a week before going in and doing it.

I don't remember the books i used but there was two of them. I think it was the "ARCO" book and one other i used.

I went to "Barnes and Nobles"

GOOD LUCK

Yes the ARCO/Peterson's "Master The Military Flight Aptitude Tests" is a good book and I have it. There is another I've heard about but forget the name of that is horrible and provides wrong answers to sample questions. I believe it's black and yellow. Just go with ARCO and you'll be fine. I got it at Barnes and Noble as well.

The Arco book is great. jmarce22, I received your PM but I can not respond to it for some reason. If you are interested the Arco 6th Edition Mastering the Military Flight Aptitude Tests book PM me your phone number and I can call you. I do not need it any longer and am willing to give it to you.

• 5 months later...

I just took the AFAST and I got a 115. I'm not feeling good about it and would like to know where I stand, and if it is even worth continuing on with my warrant packet. If someone could give me an honest opinion it would be greatly appreciated. I don't need "a pat on the back", just a straight-up evaluation of how I did.

- Thank you.

You need to keep moving forward since your score is over 110 and remember they are reviewing your entire package and your potential to successfully complete the program by meeting or exceeding their standards.

There are a lot of variables that go into the selection process and a score in one area doesn't necessarily disqualify an individual, especially if they are strong in several key areas.

Good Luck

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The AFAST seems more of a check the box step and LORs carry a lot of weight. No one cared what my score was, only if I passed and when I said my score I usually got the "whatever" look. Your personality, character, LORs and PT will be important as well as how you perform on the interview. Best of luck.

Dutch

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Since the Army is doing away with the AFAST this June of 2012, what do any of you suggest for someone who is looking into the WOFT program.

I am currently scheduled to graduate college in Fall 2012. My major is BS in Mathematics with a 2.999 ish GPA. I am a prior enlisted in the Marines so I have already taken the ASVAB. I was planning on taking the AFAST after spring semester, but stumbling to this article I don't see the point. I have talked to a recruiter, but he was not very helpful.

Should I still study for the AFAST and take the test this summer? Will it even count if I turn in a packet sometime this fall?

• 1 month later...

I am taking the AFAST this month, does anyone know if it will be switched to SIFT by this month or next?? CW5 Reese said no later than June so does that mean when I go to take the AFAST on the 26th June I will be taking the SIFT? If anyone on here can tell me or has heard anything I would highly appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...

How's it going the names Brandon I've been in the USMC for about 7 years and finally decided to submit WO package. I don't know if its just me but I've been trying to get in touch with a recruiter for the last week with no luck. So I figured I would just post my question on here.

On form 160-r in block 10 it ask for your 3 duty location choices. I have not spent much time around the Army, I have no clue what duty stations are available. Is their a list or can someone provide me with this information?

Aviation specific duty locations:

CONUS:

Fort Drum, NY

Fort Belvoir, VA

Fort Bragg, NC

Fort Stewart, GA

Fort Benning, GA

Fort Campbell, KY

Fort Riley, KS

Fort Carson, CO

Fort Bliss, TX

Fort Lewis, WA

OCONUS:

Fort Wainwright, AK

Schofield Barracks, HI

Korea

Germany

Honduras

Egypt

I left off some locations that you won't see until you're tracked, but almost every active duty aviator fresh out of flight school will end up at one of those locations (unless I missed one, going off of memory).