New Job

67november

I have been unemployed for over 14 months, I started TIG welding school in Jan. and it has finally paid off, I would like to extend my many thanks to all of the VR members that have offered their support and encouragement during this time. I passed the initial TIG welding test to get hired on and now I'll spend the rest of my time prior to my start date boning up on my MIG welding for certification.

This new job is for welding stainless steel filtration materials for the oil industry.

you can see some info at johnsonscreens.com

I tested for the job yesterday the 7th and will be starting on the 16th working 2nd shift.

thanks again

67N

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I have BAD news and GOOD news. first the bad news, my weld test failed the visual inspection again, very strict standards, which means no job rite now. the good news is that after 30+ hours of supervised practice I can retest if they still have positions available.

so its back to school to perfect my welding for the next test.

I have BAD news and GOOD news. first the bad news, my weld test failed the visual inspection again, very strict standards, which means no job rite now. the good news is that after 30+ hours of supervised practice I can retest if they still have positions available.

so its back to school to perfect my welding for the next test.

Which one? TIG or MIG? I thought you passed the TIG test? Welding takes practice, practice, practice,,,, ( & even then you can have a "bad" day where it just isnt working) I remember visiting the space center in houston back in the late 70's when i thought i was a really good welder & looking at the welds on the moon rover that they had on display & some of them? i knew i could do better ! So? i asked about the welders & who could do it. They told me that they had a crew of welders & every morning ALL of them would get tested, & the ones that didnt pass on that day got sent home. Come to find out? even the best have a bad day. Hang in there 67

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with the interview.

I purchased a cheap welder a few weeks ago and managed to stick some old pipe together to make shelves in the greenhouse. I definitely won't be taking your job away from you!

Jerry

Steve-

I was really happy to read yer latest updates and congrats (also) on the new position.

Thanks Ed it's been a 10 month journey.
...may have been only 10 months, but I'm sure it felt like a few years. Hopefully, this will help get you back into the air soon enough. First things first, tho. And who knows, maybe you'll score some new work welding custom turbine cans and airframe components - kinda like Paul Jr. & OCC, 'cept to aircraft!

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-