A WOFT View From the Top

Guest Stearmann4

I have the regular droid razor through Verizon and love it!!! I'm not at Rucker yet so i couldn't tell you about the coverage that is available there like akskott can...

First, Lindsey (unsure of Rank) - Thank you for your very detailed account of the Warrant Officer Candidate School/WOFT application process!

Chief Warrant Officer Five Mike ______ - I am a prior USAF Captain, who was separated the end of last year basically for being in an overmanned career field and due to budget cuts in the Air Force. My dream has always been to fly for the Military. Just returned this week from going to Fort Riley, KS in an attempt to get the Senior Warrant Officer Letter of Recommendation. The attempt was unsuccessful because the Warrant Officer Recruiting Team advertised being there for briefings, but ended up not going there this month. I have a Resume, all the WO application forms, and an Army Field Grade Officer LOR completed already. If you would be so gracious to consider signing my SWO LOR, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading, I was hoping to email you individually, although this Forum doesn't give email addresses freely.

Regards,

Ted A. West

Have you tried making calls to units and requesting the opportunity to meet with them? I have found Warrant Officers, in general, to be very helpful and wouldn't be surprised if you scheduled a meeting that way. May take some time and a lot of calls to reach the right people, but well worth it.

• 1 year later...

I see alot of people asking very simple questions that could be answered on the Warrant Officer Recruiting Page or through the associated refrences. Keep in mind once you get into flight school no one is going to spoon feed you information.

The U.S. Army Warrant Officer Recruiting page has a detailed up to date list of the requirements of an active duty packet. There are sufficent refrences to awnser all of the crazy questions out there.

No one minds anwsering prospective candidates questions but keep in mind when you get to your unit, you are expected to be a self starter and take inititave to find awnsers without always asking.

Does anybody need Female WO1 ranks? I was ordering some things through AAFES online and accidently did not order Male WO1 ranks.

Not trying to throw the whole thread off course here but why are you ordering WO1 rank anyway? Aren't you still trying to figure out how to get LORs?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have started the process of applying to WOFT. My recruiter says if I want we can try to get me at the January Board. MEPS I was cleared across the board, picket fence, 20/20. Background check is good, nothing to report.

However, I am in need of the LOR's. I live in western Oklahoma and the closest base is Tinker AFB. Is there some web page that I have not discovered that aides me in finding CWO's for my LOR's?

Thank you, in advance.

Not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but January probably won't happen. At least not based on the info you've provided. You still need a flight physical (this can awhile), SIFT test, security interview, LORs (as you mentioned), resume, essay, and a battalion board interview. Trust me, it takes awhile, and some of it is out of your hands. I was just like you when I started the process and thought I could get boarded within a month or 2. It took 6.

As far as LORs, check out Lindsey's guide here on the forum. I would post a link but I'm on my phone.

Good luck, and read through the forum a bit. You'll learn a lot.

• 1 year later...

Mike,

First off would like to say your article was very intrigueing and enlightening due to the fact that i recently started my WOFT packet myself. If you are still active to this post and recieve this, i would be grateful if we could email so i could ask a few more further questions and learn more about going the smart way with my packet.

Thank you very much.

Gage

• 11 months later...

Good read from this forum, I'm finishing my package now and I must say that the recruiter was not helpful in anyway. I did almost everything on my own until I had to use the recruiter. The biggest question I have is, how hard on the deadline is this? I'm currently active duty and deploy this summer. I may very well need literally a battalion board or sift test simply because of how Meps schedules them. I would be missing the March deadline by a week if that to take the board in May. If I don't make this deadline though I will miss the July board and have to wait till after deployment. Been working on this for 4 months now and would love to finally finish this. Any information on this would be amazing. Also I'm not 100% on this but the recruiter asked me, who do I actually submit my package to?

Either extend till you have 12 MO on contract, do a short term 2 yr re-enlistment (what I did, however my MOS was critically undermanned). Or wait till your out and apply as a civilian.

Or just submit it regardless and cross your fingers, but I don't think that will work.

I can't reenlist anyway my rate is super overmanned for my year group so they told me I couldn't reenlist. So then what route do I need to take then so I make sure I'm doing this right. I've heard 30 different things about my situation.

All you need to extend your contract to the 12 month mark is your company commander's approval. If he/she was willing to endorse you for WO, they will do that for you. I've had to do this before and it is not hard if your COC supports you. Just make sure it all lines up... that you have 12 months remaining at the time of the board. Some areas read you need 12 months at the time of submission of your packet, but I wouldn't chance that by submitting the month prior and having 11 months remaining when the board meets.