Dmurray

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, Boards, Slow Subarus
  • Company working for:United States Army

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:38

Also, depending on where you're deployed, you can take the SIFT overseas. I took the SIFT when I was in Kuwait.

#42 Bdavidson7

Bdavidson7

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:35

Honestly I just want to make this may board. My EAOS is oct of this year so unless I get incredibly lucky with a ship date I'll already be out before I leave for BCT. Thank you for the help!

#43 Bdavidson7

Bdavidson7

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:19

I'm in the navy so that probably won't happen haha plus I'll have my package done before I deploy its the selection board that would happen while I was deployed unless I can on a miracle make he may board!

#44 Dmurray

Dmurray

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, Boards, Slow Subarus
  • Company working for:United States Army

Posted 03 March 2016 - 13:19

Yea once I saw you refer to it as a "package" I figured you were Navy. Good luck.

#45 Creep0321

Creep0321

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 13:53

I believe you need 12 MO. remaining on contract IOT apply anyway, you may want to look into that, I had to re-enlist before applying. (Came over from the Marine Corps)

Swift, Silent, Deadly.

#46 dieseldan17

dieseldan17

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Company working for:US Army

Posted 03 March 2016 - 14:15

I believe you need 12 MO. remaining on contract IOT apply anyway, you may want to look into that, I had to re-enlist before applying. (Came over from the Marine Corps)

This is correct

#47 Bdavidson7

Bdavidson7

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 16:44

I can't reenlist anyway my rate is super overmanned for my year group so they told me I couldn't reenlist. So then what route do I need to take then so I make sure I'm doing this right. I've heard 30 different things about my situation.

#48 Creep0321

Creep0321

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 17:53

Either extend till you have 12 MO on contract, do a short term 2 yr re-enlistment (what I did, however my MOS was critically undermanned). Or wait till your out and apply as a civilian.

Or just submit it regardless and cross your fingers, but I don't think that will work.

Swift, Silent, Deadly.

#49 dieseldan17

dieseldan17

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Company working for:US Army

Posted 04 March 2016 - 15:22

I can't reenlist anyway my rate is super overmanned for my year group so they told me I couldn't reenlist. So then what route do I need to take then so I make sure I'm doing this right. I've heard 30 different things about my situation.

All you need to extend your contract to the 12 month mark is your company commander's approval.  If he/she was willing to endorse you for WO, they will do that for you.  I've had to do this before and it is not hard if your COC supports you.  Just make sure it all lines up... that you have 12 months remaining at the time of the board.  Some areas read you need 12 months at the time of submission of your packet, but I wouldn't chance that by submitting the month prior and having 11 months remaining when the board meets.

#50 Bdavidson7

Bdavidson7

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 18:47

One of the guys off of the warrant officer recruiting website said I just have to put in a prerequisite waiver with my package. Anyone ever done one of these?

#51 Travish657422

Travish657422

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:33

My brother is currently in WOCS and he graduates soon. Does anyone have a general idea about how that goes and how much free time they have afterward? Also, does anyone know if you get weekends off while I'm WOFT?

#52 StockTrader

StockTrader

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Interests:Trucks, Baseball, Helicopters
  • Company working for:WO1, US Army

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:43

My brother is currently in WOCS and he graduates soon. Does anyone have a general idea about how that goes and how much free time they have afterward? Also, does anyone know if you get weekends off while I'm WOFT?

The day before graduation, there will be a family day(assuming they didnt lose it) and a pass given for an overnight stay off post if requested. Right after graduation they will have to report to B Co for inprocessing and then start their 10 day ptdy for house hunting and bringing belongings down.

While you are in flight school, weekends are yours.

#53 espo180

espo180

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 20:00

Hello.

I'm a civilian with no flying experience and recently became very interested in WOCS and helicopter flying. I have spoken to 2 recruiters and done some initial research.

1) I am quite healthy except my eyes are currently 20/200 (correctable to 20/20), however I had a surgeon examine them and he told me I'm a "textbook case" to be corrected to 20/20 or better. I downloaded "MedStandards" off the Apple Store. This is quite helpful, it has the latest policy letters from all the services. Upon reading it, it appears this shouldn't be a problem for me. Does anyone applying with lasik (prk can't be done for mine) have any thoughts or experience around this? I also called Rucker and the Sgt I spoke to there said I shouldn't have any issues if I'm corrected.

2) I'm 28 yrs old (in a few days), in decent shape (used to be much better), have a college degree (good GPA), Eagle Scout. I know that if I fully commit to this path I can knock out these tests (motivated studier).

3) What are my motivations? I'm very patriotic and would like to serve my country. I moved here from Europe when I was 5 and I want to give back to a country that has given me more than I could ever ask for. Additionally, I always wanted to be a military aviator when I was younger. However, I wrote it off because I was told only 20/20 vision was acceptable. I know that this process will be difficult, but honestly I do my best when I'm challenged. That's also another motivation for me...I'm just not challenged with what I'm doing in my life right now.

4) I'm looking for thoughts and advice on the above. I don't want to invest the time studying if my eyes are a no go, from my understanding that shouldn't be the case though. So obviously, the next steps for me would be to get LASIK done and take the SIFTI??

5) Applying as a civilian do I have to enlist first or submit the whole application and then if accepted then enlist? The scenario I'm trying to avoid is signing a piece of paper that puts me in another MOS.

I would appreciate your thoughts and help on the above and thank those currently serving our country.

#54 ElJay

ElJay

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:12

My eyes were at least as bad as yours and lasik corrected me to 20/15. Passed my flight physical with no problems except that stupid depth perception test. If you decide to commit to this, schedule your surgery ASAP. You're looking at a six month wait before you can take the physical. Add that to the boards being cancelled and a potential non select, give yourself enough time to reapply should you not get picked up.

Use your six month deferral period wisely. Make contacts with aviators for LORs, get in great shape, and study all you can for the asvab and sift.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Genesys VR Forum 200Midwest Helicopter Academy 200 - 2016Able_VRHOme200PrecisionVRForumHome200NFCVRForum200HomeDevoreHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeColoradoHeliOpsHome200Helmet FX Home 200MaunaLoaVRHome200