A WOFT View From the Top

Guest Stearmann4

My brother is currently in WOCS and he graduates soon. Does anyone have a general idea about how that goes and how much free time they have afterward? Also, does anyone know if you get weekends off while I'm WOFT?

The day before graduation, there will be a family day(assuming they didnt lose it) and a pass given for an overnight stay off post if requested. Right after graduation they will have to report to B Co for inprocessing and then start their 10 day ptdy for house hunting and bringing belongings down.

While you are in flight school, weekends are yours.

Hello.

I'm a civilian with no flying experience and recently became very interested in WOCS and helicopter flying. I have spoken to 2 recruiters and done some initial research.

1) I am quite healthy except my eyes are currently 20/200 (correctable to 20/20), however I had a surgeon examine them and he told me I'm a "textbook case" to be corrected to 20/20 or better. I downloaded "MedStandards" off the Apple Store. This is quite helpful, it has the latest policy letters from all the services. Upon reading it, it appears this shouldn't be a problem for me. Does anyone applying with lasik (prk can't be done for mine) have any thoughts or experience around this? I also called Rucker and the Sgt I spoke to there said I shouldn't have any issues if I'm corrected.

2) I'm 28 yrs old (in a few days), in decent shape (used to be much better), have a college degree (good GPA), Eagle Scout. I know that if I fully commit to this path I can knock out these tests (motivated studier).

3) What are my motivations? I'm very patriotic and would like to serve my country. I moved here from Europe when I was 5 and I want to give back to a country that has given me more than I could ever ask for. Additionally, I always wanted to be a military aviator when I was younger. However, I wrote it off because I was told only 20/20 vision was acceptable. I know that this process will be difficult, but honestly I do my best when I'm challenged. That's also another motivation for me...I'm just not challenged with what I'm doing in my life right now.

4) I'm looking for thoughts and advice on the above. I don't want to invest the time studying if my eyes are a no go, from my understanding that shouldn't be the case though. So obviously, the next steps for me would be to get LASIK done and take the SIFTI??

5) Applying as a civilian do I have to enlist first or submit the whole application and then if accepted then enlist? The scenario I'm trying to avoid is signing a piece of paper that puts me in another MOS.

I would appreciate your thoughts and help on the above and thank those currently serving our country.

My eyes were at least as bad as yours and lasik corrected me to 20/15. Passed my flight physical with no problems except that stupid depth perception test. If you decide to commit to this, schedule your surgery ASAP. You're looking at a six month wait before you can take the physical. Add that to the boards being cancelled and a potential non select, give yourself enough time to reapply should you not get picked up.

Use your six month deferral period wisely. Make contacts with aviators for LORs, get in great shape, and study all you can for the asvab and sift.

• 1 year later...

My eyes were at least as bad as yours and lasik corrected me to 20/15. Passed my flight physical with no problems except that stupid depth perception test. If you decide to commit to this, schedule your surgery ASAP. You're looking at a six month wait before you can take the physical. Add that to the boards being cancelled and a potential non select, give yourself enough time to reapply should you not get picked up.

Use your six month deferral period wisely. Make contacts with aviators for LORs, get in great shape, and study all you can for the asvab and sift.

Shrimp, it's been a while. So did you ever actually switch to the Apache. Let's see a picture. Or are just a liar.

• 2 years later...