VOLO_VRGeneral468Helicopter AcademyUpperLimit2011General_468x60TigerTugsVRForumGen468
Photo
- - - - -

Private Pilots renting helicopters and taking Passengers

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Boatpix

Boatpix

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 00:29

My culture is that I've read about many accidents over the years with private pilots taking passengers. Solo flights under the supervision of a cfi are one thing but this is carrying another soul onboard that might not understand the lack of expeience a private pilot really has. The Pathfinder program for Robinson helicopters requires 100 hours and factory school before they allow this. I've never allowed it because I've read in the newspaper about a competing school at my airport allow a solo student to take a helicopter for a solo flight that ended in a jailbreak and crash. Also because I've read about a private pilot at that same (defunct) school take a passenger to smash and kill themselves on the road to the airport. These both were from the airport where my service center is at. I might add that at the neighboring airport two police CFI's smashed that helicopter practicing autos. I know I miss out on revenue from these private pilots that want to rent but I think they are better off (and a LOT safer) flying with a cfi working on advanced manuevers. Now, you might say that I'm self serving because I want them to go out and take boat pictures (I do), but they are in the care an control of a CFI and learning with each tankful. I think the safety numbers fall in my favor, and I wish to protect lives and equipment. Anyone have an data to back up either side?

Tom McDermott, manager
HelicopterAcademy.com/BOATPIX

#2 kodoz

kodoz

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:53

Depends on the student. After I got my private, I wasn't ready to take a passenger up. Other students have different views, irrespective of school policy: a classmate of mine had his passenger shoot a video of them chasing a coyote low-level. At the time, the pilot was <<100 hrs of experience and was not authorized to have a passenger or be operating below 200 AGL.
  • RkyMtnHI likes this

Share your experience at WikiRFM.
Reading to get you started:Amazon.com Listmania Books for Helicopter Pilots

#3 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy recreational pilot! :)

Posted 16 November 2010 - 19:41

I have flown with enough 800+ hr Cfis that have done stupid things to know that ratings and hours don't necessarily equal a safe pilot.

So, when it comes to renting with passengers I believe its up to the rental company to determine for themselves if the renter is safe, and/or mature enough, to carry passengers.

For some pilots (especially Private ones), taking friends, family, and the occasional date, are the reason they got the rating.
:)
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fourteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#4 Goldy

Goldy

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts
  • Interests:uuuh? flying helicopers maybe?
  • Company working for:Hey I didn't know you could loop an R22 ???

Posted 16 November 2010 - 22:31

Wow, I think that is pretty pilot specific. I knew one guy broke 100 hours and had never soloed. I took passengers up at somewhere around 65 hours. Maybe you should require a separate checkride after they have 100 hours in type, and if they are strong pilots and pass you let them take passengers at their discretion....with some caveats of course...like weather, mins. etc.

I haven't seen any statistics other than those that show the spike in accidents in the 200-300 hour range.
  • RkyMtnHI likes this

Fly Safe !!

Goldy-CPL(H),R22A, HP, B, BII, R44 Astro, R1,RII,R44ClipperII, R66, B47G2, S300C, S333, B206B3, DG500, RV10, E480B, AS350BA, S-58T, what next?

FAA Aircraft Dealer
http://www.bestaerialphoto.com
http://www.phpa.org
http://www.rotorcraftpro.com
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvN3GDEXPos
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuX9SO5uCno

#5 Guest_Maximinious_*

Guest_Maximinious_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 14:35

Edited by Maximinious, 30 July 2011 - 05:10.

• spil and AW139 like this

#6 rotorrodent

rotorrodent

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:Helicopters, Flying, Computer Programming, ...the list doesn't end!

Posted 17 November 2010 - 15:11

the pilot was <<100 hrs of experience and was not authorized to have a passenger or be operating below 200 AGL.

How do you takeoff and land if you can't fly below 200agl passenger or not???

Rotorrodent
  • Trans Lift likes this
*** Knowledge is what you get by reading the small print..
Experience is what you get for not reading it! ***

#7 rotorrodent

rotorrodent

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:Helicopters, Flying, Computer Programming, ...the list doesn't end!

Posted 17 November 2010 - 15:13

I haven't seen any statistics other than those that show the spike in accidents in the 200-300 hour range.

amen to that Goldy... probably because they are no longer in the training environment!

Rotorrodent
*** Knowledge is what you get by reading the small print..
Experience is what you get for not reading it! ***

#8 IRAPILOT79

IRAPILOT79

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 16:39

So from what I've resd, because I don't feel like teaching or making a living flying the only way I can take anyone up is with a babysitter. It would seem to me that after instructing someone for any length of time you should be able to know if you would rent to him/her for solo flight,that should be one of your primary assesments not after they have their ticket. thats just my thoughts and yes I am a low time private pilot in both fixed wing and rotorcraft who just wanted to learn something new

#9 JDHelicopterPilot

JDHelicopterPilot

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Company working for:REACH Air Medical EMS (Instructor Pilot) FAA Safety Team Representitive (OAK FSDO)

Posted 17 November 2010 - 16:41

I understand both sides. From the stories posted it doesn't seem so much as a Private pilots ability as it was the decisions they made. Come on, a jail break and a suicide?

The botched autorotation I can understand however, most rental places don't allow for practice emergency procedures.

What is the point of becoming a Private Pilot if you can't take passengers? What needs to happen is true ADM needs to be taught. Aviation Decision Making is hardly ever taught if at all. That cycle needs to be broken.

Even 300+ hour CFIs are making bad choices.
  • RkyMtnHI likes this
JD

FAASTeam Representitive (OAK FSDO)
www.facebook.com/jdhelicopterpilot

#10 shb47

shb47

COM Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 17:00

Evaluate the pilot, then check your insurance policy. If you are protected by liability insurance for a pax who might be injured or killed, then use your best judgement.

As quoted above:

For some pilots (especially Private ones), taking friends, family, and the occasional date, are the reason they got the rating.

#11 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy recreational pilot! :)

Posted 17 November 2010 - 18:17

...I personally think anyone with less than 200 hours and a CFI rating should not be allowed to take up a passengers and THAT’S even pushing the limits of safety...

Damn! I'm sure glad you don't run my local school. :lol: With 600hrs you still wouldn't let me rent, just because I'm not a member of the "high and mighty" Cfi club! <_<

You realize, of course, that if you did run a school, you would be alienating any potential students/clients, who just wanted to be Private Pilots? :(

Edited by r22butters, 17 November 2010 - 19:28.

• PlatoNC and Shaun like this
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fourteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#12 Tom22

Tom22

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 18:22

I believe the best safety culture is an informed culture and If you wanna live in a nanny culture than move to...
  • Shaun likes this

#13 Shaun

Shaun

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing.
  • Company working for:Club Jet

Posted 17 November 2010 - 18:28

Seems like if you don't trust someone to fly with a passenger then why let them solo post private?

Obviously if you're trying to save on insurance that's a financial choice.
  • RkyMtnHI likes this

#14 Guest_Maximinious_*

Guest_Maximinious_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 21:35

Edited by Maximinious, 30 July 2011 - 05:11.

#15 Boatpix

Boatpix

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:34

I'm the original poster. I asked if someone had any data on crashes. My memory is full of ppl crashes with friends and the poster that added the vidoe of the recent crash on the ballfield is an immediate example of poor flight school management in my opinion. Perhaps the FAA has it right because if you have a foreign ppl (H) license they will honor that ppl with a "restricted" license that allows you to fly solo but NOT carry passengers until you pass your CPL (H) with a checkride. Perhaps there is a reason for this. Perhaps they know. When you get to the top echelons of the FAA there is some real talent there. Some real experience. Perhaps they know that a foreign pilot is best solo rather than carrying another soul. You can auger yourself into the ballfield without carrying some gullible friend. We have that $100/hour subsidy from the photo company I own so its cheaper to fly on our program than own your own helicopters (trust me on this)and when I was at Heli-Success there was an interesting story. We had a PPL(H) that we trained an I told him my rule was that he could NOT take his lady friend for a ride. So, he did a checkride with a competing school and they approved him for some booty ride. They gave him high marks which warmed my heart. He called the other day and I was able to convey the story and pat myself for being "all knowing" but I'll stand by my decision to not allow any ppl(H) to take a friend for a ride. I don't even let my CFI's take a booty ride but who is going to pay you to fly a turbine and then allow you to take a booty ride? No one. Get used to it. I understand that some people got the ppl to take friends for rides. They are probably paying $300/hour for those ppl lessons when my students are paying an average of $200/hour and in the full program it nets to $157.50. It's tough for dad who paid to get junior a CFI that he can't fly with same but, hey, I gave junior a guaranteed job in an environment where no one is getting a job. Perhaps I'm a prick, but if I saved a life (and I believe I have) wouldn't you want to have a. a job and b. live?

Tom McDermott, manager
HelicopterAcademy.com/BOATPIX

#16 apiaguy

apiaguy

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:02

uhh.. I'd just go with the prick part..

things were better before you got all arrogant...you've been on a rant lately...
  • kodoz, Trans Lift and Shaun like this

#17 bossman

bossman

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Interests:Helicopters and keeping people interested in them.
  • Company working for:MARPAT Aviation

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:03

I'm the original poster. I asked if someone had any data on crashes. My memory is full of ppl crashes with friends and the poster that added the vidoe of the recent crash on the ballfield is an immediate example of poor flight school management in my opinion. Perhaps the FAA has it right because if you have a foreign ppl (H) license they will honor that ppl with a "restricted" license that allows you to fly solo but NOT carry passengers until you pass your CPL (H) with a checkride. Perhaps there is a reason for this. Perhaps they know. When you get to the top echelons of the FAA there is some real talent there. Some real experience. Perhaps they know that a foreign pilot is best solo rather than carrying another soul. You can auger yourself into the ballfield without carrying some gullible friend. We have that $100/hour subsidy from the photo company I own so its cheaper to fly on our program than own your own helicopters (trust me on this)and when I was at Heli-Success there was an interesting story. We had a PPL(H) that we trained an I told him my rule was that he could NOT take his lady friend for a ride. So, he did a checkride with a competing school and they approved him for some booty ride. They gave him high marks which warmed my heart. He called the other day and I was able to convey the story and pat myself for being "all knowing" but I'll stand by my decision to not allow any ppl(H) to take a friend for a ride. I don't even let my CFI's take a booty ride but who is going to pay you to fly a turbine and then allow you to take a booty ride? No one. Get used to it. I understand that some people got the ppl to take friends for rides. They are probably paying $300/hour for those ppl lessons when my students are paying an average of $200/hour and in the full program it nets to $157.50. It's tough for dad who paid to get junior a CFI that he can't fly with same but, hey, I gave junior a guaranteed job in an environment where no one is getting a job. Perhaps I'm a prick, but if I saved a life (and I believe I have) wouldn't you want to have a. a job and b. live?

All my pilots are allowed to use the helicopters for flying any of their family members. They do not become pilots in our organization until we know and trust them. Anyone going through our course can rent our machines for non-commercial activities. We would not sign them off for a check ride if we did not trust them to do the right thing. The statement about not allowing any PPL(H) to take a friend for a ride is a bit out there. This must be some kind of an insurance thing and your insurance company must not trust your judgement. You need to remove the PPL rating from your cost structure and teach only rated pilots your superior knowledge, so they can become a picture taking R22 driver with a commercial license. By the way, my pilots only pay for fuel when they use the helicopters for their family. $106.25 per hour for the FH1100. $361.25 per hour for the Huey. $212.50 for the BO105. Yes, all our pilots are trained to fly all our helicopters.
  • RkyMtnHI, Trans Lift, Shaun and 1 other like this
"Come Fly With Us"

#18 Tom22

Tom22

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:14

What's a booty ride? :lol: :rolleyes:

#19 bqmassey

bqmassey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 13:54

Honestly, this sounds more like an advertisement that it does an honest discussion.
  • kodoz, RkyMtnHI, Lindsey and 1 other like this

#20 Rogue

Rogue

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, my wife and kids.

Posted 19 November 2010 - 14:09

Sounds as if your training standards aren't good enough. if you don't trust someone that you trained to Private Pilot standards to rent your helicopter that tells me your standards suck or at least that is the image it presents.

Edited by Rogue, 24 November 2010 - 12:45.

• kodoz and Shaun like this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

HeliHelmetsDevoreGeneral200Genesys VRForum200_GeneralMaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200PrecisionVRForumGeneral200MidwestHeliAcademy2016Helmet FX General 200ColoradoHeliOpsGeneral200NFCVRGeneral200Able_VRGeneral200