TigerTugsVRForumGen468VOLO_VRGeneral468UpperLimit2011General_468x60Helicopter Academy
Photo
- - - - -

Private Pilots renting helicopters and taking Passengers

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 Trans Lift

Trans Lift

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Interests:Flying, motorcycles, surfing, kitesurfing, snowboarding, bone carving
  • Company working for:major Powerline utility company

Posted 07 December 2010 - 18:28

I think it's way more irresponsible to let an aircraft fly low level over water without floats than letting a private pilot fly with a passenger. But hey, it was revenue, right Tom?
  • ADRidge, adam32 and Trans Lift like this

#62 helitop

helitop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:44

I read all the replies to the original post in here and was quite intrigued by this topic. Firstly, I want to throw in the notion that even CPL's, CFI's and yes even ATP's bend up helicopters and cause death. They all do this when they are solo, and when they are carrying pax. Some things that were said by other members also got me thinking about boatpix; which I am now not a fan of at all. The boatpix training manual consists of what? Of having a student pilot ferry a helicopter somewhere to take pictures of boats and houses and then the CFI flies while the student takes pictures???? That can't be correct. If that's the case then I understand why you don't let your students rent your aircraft. Because they don't get the time to get the proper training in the aircraft. Please tell me I'm wrong. I really hope I am. I also have to agree that your sample of a guy wanting to perform a jail break and another one trying to commit suicide is not a sound judgement to be basing the actions of others off of. Not everyone wants to die or commit felonies. I have no data to back up the number of PPL's in accidents solo, with pax, or with a CFI. But, I know that all of them happen. If you want to know then start sifting through NTSB reports.
  • Eggbeater, Trans Lift and Shaun like this

#63 r22butters

r22butters

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Location:Pluto,...at least until the next election :) ,...damn the wifi here is unbelievable!
  • Interests:Admiring the city lights and coastal sunsets from a thousand feet,...when I have the dough. :)

,...oh' yeah, and boobs!
    😕+🍟+🚁+🌃=☺
  • Company working for:Just a happy recreational pilot! :)

Posted 11 December 2010 - 17:20

I flew with Boatpix a few years ago. I did all the flying while the Cfi took pictures and showed me how to position the aircraft.

It was a lot of fun, and a 'relatively' cheap way to build some time, while also getting some experience(as opposed to just farting around the pattern, or local area)!

By the way, congrats on making it all the way through these posts. This was a long one!
:lol:
  • apiaguy and adam32 like this
The only dream I have left is to live long enough to see the pilot shortage. Its been about fourteen years since they first told me it was coming, so,...

Aaaaaaaany day now! :D

#64 Goldy

Goldy

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts
  • Interests:uuuh? flying helicopers maybe?
  • Company working for:Hey I didn't know you could loop an R22 ???

Posted 12 December 2010 - 15:29

My culture is that I've read about many accidents over the years with private pilots taking passengers. Solo flights under the supervision of a cfi are one thing but this is carrying another soul onboard that might not understand the lack of expeience a private pilot really has. The Pathfinder program for Robinson helicopters requires 100 hours and factory school before they allow this. I've never allowed it

Tom, your original post generated quite a bit of conversation. But this is off your own website.."The Private Pilot Program is intended for people who may be learning to fly as a hobby, personal business or who are planning to purchase their own aircraft. With your Private Pilot Certificate you are allowed to take family, friends and co-workers on board your aircraft or the aircraft you are renting while acting as Pilot in Command."

So now I am really confused...help?
  • Eggbeater, Shaun, SBuzzkill and 1 other like this

Fly Safe !!

Goldy-CPL(H),R22A, HP, B, BII, R44 Astro, R1,RII,R44ClipperII, R66, B47G2, S300C, S333, B206B3, DG500, RV10, E480B, AS350BA, S-58T, what next?

FAA Aircraft Dealer
http://www.bestaerialphoto.com
http://www.phpa.org
http://www.rotorcraftpro.com
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvN3GDEXPos
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuX9SO5uCno

#65 Trans Lift

Trans Lift

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Interests:Flying, motorcycles, surfing, kitesurfing, snowboarding, bone carving
  • Company working for:major Powerline utility company

Posted 12 December 2010 - 21:49

My guess Goldy, is that it is another crafty use of words. We all know he is good at that. I presume it is just saying that you can take people up flying, but he neglects to tell people that he will not let you after giving him your money. Just in case you are going to rescue someone from jail.
  • Eggbeater and Trans Lift like this

#66 Tarantula

Tarantula

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Helicopters, computers, motorcycles...

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:02

I'd have to agree. He quite specifically says "your aircraft or the aircraft you are renting." Since we know he won't rent to a PPL holder, that leaves finding someone who will rent to you, or buying your own.
  • Eggbeater and Trans Lift like this

#67 FAR/AIM

FAR/AIM

• VR Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:41

Yeah I fly solo everyday for usually about 4-6 hours doing external load. It doesn't matter and I'm not stirring the pot, just wondering if he has a double standard. If I was a student there and not allowed to fly on a PPL, I would wonder why he was?
I understand that he has flown on different machines and all that, but why not go and get a commercial?

i think you should mind your own business Trans. B)

#68 skier

skier

PVT Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 15:52

I understand where Boatpix is coming from. I have seen similar things in seaplanes, autogyros, weight-shift aircraft, and elsewhere in the helicopter world. That being said, I'm not a big fan of that. I was planning on doing helicopter training this past summer, but the only school nearby wouldn't rent after you got your license; as a result, I just found a fixed wing school and rented a plane for a bunch of hours.

Personally, in my fixed wing flying, I have more hours with instructors than without instructors next to me. I've been a bit of a rating collector over the years and rather than fly with friends, I go learn something new. Unfortunately, I think this has harmed my flying ability to some extent. I know I don't have the confidence that I should have, and I think it is due to usually having an instructor there. I rarely fly with myself or passengers, but after I do my confidence jumps a bit. When you fly by yourself or with friends, you learn that you can actually do it yourself. It also makes you more aware of what is happening and solving a little problem like picking out the airport rests solely with you.

I think not letting private pilots rent is actually harming the student's abilities and at the same time shouting to your students that you don't think they can really handle a helicopter.
  • HeliTed likes this

#69 Goldy

Goldy

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts
  • Interests:uuuh? flying helicopers maybe?
  • Company working for:Hey I didn't know you could loop an R22 ???

Posted 14 December 2010 - 21:39

Personally, I wouldn't want to train anywhere that they didn't trust me to fly after PPL. I was just questioniong why Tom has one statement on the website and seems to make a contradictory statement on VR. I'm not out to thrash anyone, just wondered why the conflicting info was all.
  • Tarantula, Trans Lift, Shaun and 1 other like this

Fly Safe !!

Goldy-CPL(H),R22A, HP, B, BII, R44 Astro, R1,RII,R44ClipperII, R66, B47G2, S300C, S333, B206B3, DG500, RV10, E480B, AS350BA, S-58T, what next?

FAA Aircraft Dealer
http://www.bestaerialphoto.com
http://www.phpa.org
http://www.rotorcraftpro.com
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvN3GDEXPos
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuX9SO5uCno

#70 roundwing

roundwing

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:18

Anyone have an data to back up either side?

Even if the data showed that you were wrong, you have already made up your mind.

I am not going to waste my time trying to find out.

Me, I vote with my feet.
I fly airplanes for a living.
I fly helicopters for fun.
Man what fun!!!

#71 AW139

AW139

CFI Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 15:40

hey, I gave junior a guaranteed job in an environment where no one is getting a job.

Wait.....don't you charge your "employees" $200/hr to fly?
  • AW139 likes this
Integrity.Courage.Wisdom.Honor.Loyalty.Strength.Patience.Virtue

#72 chris pochari

chris pochari

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Helicopters, business, geopolitics, rotorcraft technology, investing, real estate, business opportunities
  • Company working for:RSI

Posted 16 April 2017 - 21:50

https://www.law.corn.../text/14/61.113

Link not working right so copy and paste into search engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Able_VRGeneral200MidwestHeliAcademy2016PrecisionVRForumGeneral200DevoreGeneral200Genesys VRForum200_GeneralHeliHelmetsNFCVRGeneral200MaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200ColoradoHeliOpsGeneral200Helmet FX General 200