Concealed Carry in Flight Suit

Found a similar question asked over on Baseops.net. http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15644-holsters-in-flight-suits/

I've never known anyone to carry concealed under a flight suit, so no firsthand information. An ankle holster was the first thing I thought of, but wouldn't be too good for a full size pistol.

• Like 1

Most in a flight suit are not concerned with people seeing it.

I would say, in an ankle holster, however, the M&P 9 might be a little big for the ankle.

I use a Glock 26 on the ankle and it works fine there. Carried a S&W Chief's Special for 12 years then move to the Glock for more rounds.

I never had any problem with the extra weight on the pedals either. You might with the M&P 9 though.

edspilot

Why would you need a concealed weapon with a flight suit? To draw from the ankle, you need to reach down and use both hands. It takes a lot of practice to do it smoothly/quickly and even then, you're in a bad spot if someone's got the drop on you.

In my humble opinion, if you need to be armed, carry it in a proper holster (shoulder or hip) or stick it in your flight bag.

• Like 2

I really like the Glock 26. Small, compact and carries 10+1 rounds.

The one thing for the Glock, is that every Glock 9mm mag works in every 9mm Glock, no matter the size/number of rounds. I have several 33 round mags and they fit in all of the Glock 9mm, even my small 26.

Just one opinion.

edspilot

Kahr P380 or PM9 in the front right pant pocket in a Aholster.

Or under the armpit in a 5.11 Gear CCW shirt. Hot, itchy, and will melt to you though.....

Glocks, Springfields, etc. are all way too big for me to CCW. I won't carry anything over 16 oz, and those are near double that. I've tried all kinds of holsters in different places, and can never get comfortable or look like I don't have a tumor. Kahr PM9 and the P380 are my hands down favorites for CCW.

Why would you need a concealed weapon with a flight suit? To draw from the ankle, you need to reach down and use both hands. It takes a lot of practice to do it smoothly/quickly and even then, you're in a bad spot if someone's got the drop on you.

In my humble opinion, if you need to be armed, carry it in a proper holster (shoulder or hip) or stick it in your flight bag.

Couldn't agree more.

The OP is asking the best way to conceal a firearm with a flight suit.

I attempted to answer the question and ankle is about the only way to conceal and still have it available, if needed. I did not attempt to tell him it would be as easy to get-to as if it were outside the suit, exposed.

Obviously, he does not have that option to expose it.

edspilot

I never had any problem with the extra weight on the pedals either. You might with the M&P 9 though.

I have the M&P 9 (full size), but have never attempted to rig it to my ankle. I'm only 139 lbs. Is the pistol that "concealable"?

Obviously, he does not have that option to expose it.

You are correct. As far as I know, in most states that you are allowed to "concealed carry", it is NOT implied that you can open carry. Any MD State Police officers out there that can verify?

Bootcamp:

First, the M&P 9 was never ment to be carried concealled, due to the frame size. Your options are very very limited with it. I am not a fan of ever getting rid of any firearm you already own, but if you do not want to buy another then could you sell/trade it for something more suitable for a concealed carry?

If I were you, I would look at a Sig P232 which is stainless and in .380cal. It is small and very flat and would fit nicely in the suit's brest pocker or calf pocket. Seriously, it is a great little firearm. Additionally, it would be good for the ankle.

The fact is there are smaller handguns for a reason and this is one of them. Square peg in the round hole idea.

You are correct, most states that have a concealed carry permit do not allow for the carrying of the handgun under the permit, exposed.

Then there other states that you can carry "openly" any handgun and do not even need a permit. This is a right in those states but usually draws way to much attention, as mentined above. I can tell you too many stories from when I was in IA there where good meaning officers got in a bind because they were trying to conceal a medium or large frame handgun and were reported by civilians after seeing the handgun.

Please take my comments as just one opinion, however, from a person with 34 years in two LE organizations (1 city & 1 federal) working uniform, plain clothes, tactical, undercover and internal affairs.

There are alot of good small concealable handguns out there and my opinion is not by any means to change your post, I am just trying to answer your question.

Hope this helps & good luck in your search,

Be safe flying & with the handgun,

edspilot

The idea to carry concealed inside a pocket of the flight suit is an excellent alternative - I think much better than using an ankle holster.

My thinking is this: If you know you're heading for trouble, bring a rifle. If you want protection from a surprise attack (which is why we all carry concealed, right?), then an ankle holster is all but useless for the reasons I stated a few days ago.

So back to the pocket. While carrying something is better than carrying nothing, I would personally choose something more powerful and reliable than a .380 or 9mm auto.

What to choose then? My choice would be a Smith&Wesson M&P360. Half the weight of a mini Glock with .357 Magnum punch. Lint, dust, and Snickers bar wrappers won't cause a jam and it will never misfeed due to a weak mag spring or hasty reload.

Palmfish:

Good points.

If I was going with a "wheel" gun, then I might be inclined to pick the M&P 340 so you do not have the "hammer" to hang up coming out of the pocket.

Just a thought.

edspilot

Is that the only difference? You're right, a "hammerless" design (it's internal) is better.

My duty gun back in the day when I was on the border was a Ruger GP100. I loved that gun. I'm afraid I don't know much about these featherweights, other than they are have a lot of recoil and I've always wanted one.

You could always bring your flight suit to a tailor along with your holster and have him jerry-rig a new "pocket" onto it specifically to give you access to the holstered weapon, wherever it is on your body. A zip or velcro flap would leave relatively easy access.

DITTO, that's exactly what I was thinking, but you beat me to it.

There are many instances where a person would have to carry concealed while wearing a flight suit.

Nearly every paramedic i know carries concealed in the 3rd world, and 90% of them have to wear flightsuits. And 90% of the companies they work for do not allow them to carry, despite many murders and rapes that take place in the hostile and sometimes isolatel areas they respond.

In africa you will get killed for a gun they are hot property and it took me over 3 years to get my first gun licence approved (glock 23), so its not as simple as poping down to the store to buy a smaller gun.

This is a very good topic which can have life and death conequences for some.

Id personally rather carry a slightly heavy wepon in an ancle holster that is hidden properly then get shot in the face by some punk who is upset becuse his gangster friend is long dead and we refuse to airlift him.

I find wearing some real small thin light sort pants with belt loops with an iwb holster at 2 O'clock seems to work the best. I wear these underneath my

Flighsuit so it would take a bit of time to get to, im thinking about velcro or a zipper right there to get it a bit quicker.

But im open to any good suggestions.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

So here's a question for anyone who owns/travels with a pistol.

For about 8 months out of the year I fly all over the U.S. Spending every night in the cheapest hotels in town. I try hard to avoid the run down, sketchy places if I can, but sometimes thats impossible. Although I don't own a pistol now, I thought it might be a good idea for self defense when I find myself in BFE.

My question is. For a civilian pilot, traveling over state lines, how difficult would it be to fly with a pistol (in a carry on bag)? I just want to know how state and federal laws would view this.

My question is. For a civilian pilot, traveling over state lines, how difficult would it be to fly with a pistol (in a carry on bag)? I just want to know how state and federal laws would view this.

According to the TSA website and the website of many commercial airlines, it's actually quite easy. Put it in a hard, locked case. Put the locked case in your checked luggage. Declare the pistol when you check your luggage.

I haven't had a chance to try it it, mainly because I've only traveled once since I bought the pistol and the hard case took up too much room in my checked luggage.

Also, if you haven't already, you can apply for a Florida concealed carry permit by mail, good in 30-some states.

• Like 1

Also, if you haven't already, you can apply for a Florida concealed carry permit by mail, good in 30-some states.

You must have documentation of training to do that as well. Granted, apparently Florida thinks just having hunter safety is enough training for a person to begin carrying a concealed firearm, but there is some training required.

If you're going to carry concealed, you owe it to yourself to get a proper class that educates you about the legalities of such and not just mail in some documentation that says you had a hunter safety course 20 years ago.

• Like 1