Anything's Possible

If anything is possible than what about this ?

qozxjd.gif

Interesting concept, but I guess in most instances there is a water source somewhere nearby, and the ship doesnt have to land to fill a bucket, just drop it in a stream from 100 feet in the air. Or fill up a temporary rubber pool, or a swimming pool, or whatever.

When would you need your mobile unit?

When would you need your mobile unit?

Good question, Me ? or Uncle Sam ?

Me, . . as soon as possible, . . May I ask why your asking ?

If you see this the way I see this, as, " it is needed now".

Do you have any suggestions, as to how that might be accomplished ?

Edited by Jople

If there is no water for the heli to dip a bucket or a hose in, then where does the water come from for the pumping station? Would it not be more efficient to skip the "middle man"?

Skip the middle man when he is not needed, but be prepared for long distance hauls that bog down the fight, . . .Be Prepared for fire fights every state should map out every available water source, and have that information ready for that purpose.

I'm referring to water sources that are inaccessible to the helicopter operation,Trees, shalow streams that need to be dug out, fire hydrants in some areas that will furnish water to fire buckets fighting fires out of the reach of trucks, etc.

Edited by Jople

Skip the middle man when he is not needed, but be prepared for long distance hauls that bog down the fight, . . .Be Prepared for fire fights every state should map out every available water source, and have that information ready for that purpose.

I'm referring to water sources that are inaccessible to the helicopter operation,Trees, shalow streams that need to be dug out, fire hydrants in some areas that will furnish water to fire buckets fighting fires out of the reach of trucks, etc.

Sorry to break it to you but, the BLM and USFS both have HUGE databases in every state already with water sources mapped out and ownership rights info, as well as species lists and protected waterways info. That information is relayed to the Air Attack or Initial Attack aircraft by Dispatch. Also, anywhere you are going to find fire hydrants engines are going to be able to get into. If there isn't a close dipping sight then an engine crew will fill portable dip sights (aka. Pumpkins) from a hydrant, or by suction from a pond or shallow stream that is not easily accessible to a Heli. I've also seen a heli sling a portable pump into an area where an engine couldn't get into, then the ground crew just set the pump up and started to fill the pumpkins. Multiple buckets really wouldn't save any time either, by the time you got into position, lowered the bucket, ground crew disconnected, you re-position, hook bucket back up. You could have been in the dip sight and gone.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be debbie downer here, but honestly it sounds like you're trying to re-invent the wheel.

That's quite alright, I don't have enough experience to disagree with you, but as I imagine it there are probably many or some water sources out there that are pretty much inaccessible, trees cliffs and that sort, concerning hydrants I was thinking along the lines of emergency situations where again there is something obstructing or a danger to the chopper or inhabitants,the usual-unusual occurrences . .expect the unexpected.

The mobile unit can provide power for the, "Jaws of Life", and other tools, sanitation and electricity, etc. during earthquakes and other natural disasters.

I'm thinking outside the box, not needing or wanting to replace the present system, just to back it up.

Your feedback will provide some material if and when I move towards a research grant.

Years ago, I was speaking to one experienced man in fire fighting and he mentioned there are times the the chopper fire bucket won't touch down within fifty miles of the fire,

I don't know if that was true, but have no reason to think it wasn't.