DPE or FAA inspector?

Hey folks,

I'm shooting for my Private soon. I've already passed the written, have close to 50 hours, and am just doing some "clean up" in terms of what's left to cover before I get the checkride endorsement. I've learned that an FAA inspector will do the checkride for FREE, but will be much more of a stickler than a DPE. Since a DPE will run me $600 bucks, I'm leaning towards the FAA inspector option. What are your thoughts/insights? Did you get your Private license with an FAA guy or a DPE? Thanks in advance for any help!

• Like 1

Availability of FAA inspectors is limited, you may have to wait as much as a few months to get one and you will have very little control of the timing of when the check ride takes place. They probably won't even do a private, their resources are stretched to the point where they won't do anything other than a flight instructor check ride. I've never heard of anyone doing their private with the FAA but on the other hand $600 is pretty steep too.

I had the option and didn't.

1 - scheduling issues as mentioned

2 - it was an offer only made due to lack of DPE's at the time ( a few not availible due to medical condtions and whatnot ) so as I'm told the days of FAA private checkrides ( as said ) is all but over.

3 - if you are flying helos and 600 is gonna break ya.... nuff said....

good luck

• Like 1

You really don't want to do a checkride with the FAA. Having been a check airman for a Part 135 operator for several years, I took no less that 3 rides with the Feds a year. And they could get quite interesting. First of all, every time you do a ride with the Feds your certificate is at risk. While as a Private Pilot applicant, your risk is almost non-existent, it is still there. I know of one ATP applicant (from the Middle East) left the FSDO with a Private Pilot Single Engine Land certificate marked not valid in United States. And he entered the FSDO with a Commercial, Airplane Single and Multi Engine Land and Instrument rating.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most inspectors fly very little each year. It is quite possible that you have flown more in the past 12 months than he has. With a good DPE, you will usually learn a lot during the check ride.

Availability of an Inspector is spotty at best. They do very few CFI rides, so for a PPL, I can't see them jumping through hoops for you.

I personally found that FAA Flight Safety Inspectors were down to earth people who just wanted the candidate to know their level of required knowledge.

During my commercial check ride with the FAA, my level of stress was almost zero. He even allowed me to demonstrate a full-down auto to the deck. My PPL check ride was a different story.

Be aware that if you're using a Robinson product there are only five (5) FAA flight safety inspectors (in the US) that are certified to do the check rides (including full downs to the surface).

So there may be a waiting list.... I don't know if the FAA are still doing private or commercials. I completed my PPL and COMM in the early 90's.

Rumors were that they wanted to get out of the check-ride business altogether. And I do agree that some DPE's are over board in their prices!

My CFI check ride last year cost me $800.00. I feel your pain. Good luck on your check ride and be safe! RP CFI

$600 is absolutely ridiculous for a Private checkride. I understand that this is how these DPE's value their time, but it is still excessive. The DPE I used before would charge $400 for everything except CFI, which was $600. And double check whether they accept a check, most want straight cash (I'm assuming so they don't have to declare it on their taxes).

Keep in mind folks, the ride may be 400 but most Designated Pilot Examiners charge $0.50 per mile for travel also..... just saying, don't pass judgement without all the facts( i know, i know I'm asking a LOT !!!). Mine drove 232 miles from Birmingham Alabama. That is roughly an extra 100 bucks for the math impaired (ONE WAY !!!). Also, this should go to show frumple that if you are to be PIC then trust BUT verify. ;)

Edited by Rogue
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I talked with one of the local inspectors about this recently. His answer was that for private, instrument or commercial, they would only really do one if there was a "financial need" on the part of the applicant, and even then it is on a case by case basis....

That being said, I know of some very easy DPEs, and some very tough DPEs. With FAA inspectors, you had better know your stuff going in, period....