DPS Pilot

Can anyone give me any more information on their program. Has anyone done it? To be a flight officer you have to be a Trooper I status but then I noticed to be an actual pilot it said you have to be a Trooper II and already possess a PPL and have the ability to obtain a CPL. Do they not send you to training? Thanks for any help.

• Like 1

As a fellow Texan I have always assumed that our amazing troopers have had an aviation division but I have never seen them since I live in the cities, what do our state boys fly?

Edited by Auto-Rotation-Nation
  • Like 1

"The DPS Aircraft Section is composed of 46 pilots, ten tactical flight officers, seven lieutenants, a captain, assistant chief pilot, and chief pilot. The Section currently runs a fleet of 15 American Eurocopter AS350 helicopters, an American Eurocopter EC145 twin engine helicopter, 7 single engine Cessna airplanes, and a twin engine Aero Commander airplane. All of the DPS pilots hold commercial pilot licenses with instrument ratings, and receive recurrent pilot training annually. All DPS pilots are also certified in night vision goggle (NVG) flight operations. " They have bases in Austin, Dallas, Houston, Mcallen, Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Alpine, ElPaso, Amarillo, Midland, Lubbock, DelRio, and Laredo.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hey WT,

I spoke with the Chief Pilot of the DPS a few years back, was introduced through the owner of the school I was training at. Back in 04' he said you had to be a "regular" Trooper for about 4 years before being able to "apply" for a flight slot. Had to have a PPL Fixed wing or Rotorwing cert. Also he stated that the competition was fierce and they had a deep stack of applicants back then. I only spoke to him briefly and he answered all my questions, so according to him there is no quick way into the TX DPS Aviation Dept. Seems like he said many were Army Warrants if I remember that part correctly.

I am prior TDCJ and USAF, so I was hoping to get into the heavy truck DOT stuff while I rode out my 4 year time frame to be eligible, I didn't care for being a regular Trooper. In the end TX DPS won't let you choose where you serve your duty so I decided not to go to boot camp and take the chance.

Good luck!!