Research Paper on Helicopters

eaw913

I have a topic proposal coming up soon for my English class and it is for an argumentative research paper. I have been trying to come up with a topic I will enjoy researching and talking about, and I am having trouble.

I really want to write something on helicopters, but I am unsure about what I could do my research on. Maybe the details/benefits of EMS flying, or something of the sort for another type of helicopter job?

I know the vague details of what I want to talk about, I just have to figure out where to go with the research. I have also thought about writing on the benefits of using helicopters in the military, specifically the Coast Guard for search and rescue.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Thanks!

Edited by eaw913

I have a topic proposal coming up soon for my English class and it is for an argumentative research paper. I have been trying to come up with a topic I will enjoy researching and talking about, and I am having trouble.

I really want to write something on helicopters, but I am unsure about what I could do my research on. Maybe the details/benefits of EMS flying, or something of the sort for another type of helicopter job?

I know the vague details of what I want to talk about, I just have to figure out where to go with the research. I have also thought about writing on the benefits of using helicopters in the military, specifically the Coast Guard for search and rescue.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Thanks!

how about something related to the safety of EMS flights? You could outline the inherent dangers of such a mission, such as flying at night, in bad weather, and landing in unprepared LZ's, the emotional factor (and why the pilots are not told about the patient at all). then talk about what has been done (or not done) in the past to improve the safety. there are plenty of articles about the faa's lack of involvement in these areas. research how many providers use NVG's, or terrain avoidance equipment. then, of course, talk about what needs to be done to further improve the safety of these flights, if anything can be done.

look up a hospital in your area (one with an ems crew) and either call and get in contact with a pilot, or just go there and try to get pointed towards one. chances are he'll have some free time and wont mind giving an interview, and he will have some great insight on the subject im sure. I guarantee if you do that and have decent grammar you will get an A.

here are some good links to get you started

http://www.verticalmag.com/control/news/templates/?a=787&z=6

How about the oversupply of flight instructors, and the plight of the unemployed (all while people keep claiming, "The current demand for pilots is outpacing supply,...one of the strongest job markets in years")? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by r22butters
  • Like 2

That is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks a ton! I'm going to look into it more and go into my college's library database and see what I can find on it there as well. Great basis to go off of. Especially if I can manage to talk to an EMS pilot like you suggested.

I will let you know how the research goes. Once again, thanks! And LOL butters. I think I'll stick with the EMS topic ;)

Edited by eaw913

You could always go back to some fundamentals that prevent the full utility of helicopters - like why there are not more heliports & helipads available, and for those that are, why the process is such a PITA. Robinson tried to market the pads a few years ago and it failed quite miserably...interesting read on why.

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

I think the EMS idea is a good one, certainly a hot topic lately. Shouldn't have a problem finding articles or stories to reference. If you wanted you could probably switch it to Law Enforcement helicopter operations also. Make the argument that the rewards do or do not outweigh the cost of such an operation. I also had a writing class last year, did a paper encouraging people to find out about and support their local general aviation and airports. My emphasis was noise complaints, and whether they're really warranted most of the time. I agree it's a lot more fun to do a research paper about something you're interested in, probably results in a better grade too. Good luck with it!

how about something related to the safety of EMS flights? You could outline the inherent dangers of such a mission, such as flying at night, in bad weather, and landing in unprepared LZ's, the emotional factor (and why the pilots are not told about the patient at all). then talk about what has been done (or not done) in the past to improve the safety. there are plenty of articles about the faa's lack of involvement in these areas. research how many providers use NVG's, or terrain avoidance equipment. then, of course, talk about what needs to be done to further improve the safety of these flights, if anything can be done.

look up a hospital in your area (one with an ems crew) and either call and get in contact with a pilot, or just go there and try to get pointed towards one. chances are he'll have some free time and wont mind giving an interview, and he will have some great insight on the subject im sure. I guarantee if you do that and have decent grammar you will get an A.

here are some good links to get you started

I suggest the same along the lines of if air EMS really is faster (specifically in the uses of secondary LZ's which must be prepared and also have the patient transported from the primary scene.) this way you could get multiple interviews from both pilots on LZ prep as well as possibly a flight nurse or even someone in the local fire rescue department. Multiple angles will add enough for that A for sure (my mom's and English dept. Head)

Let us know how you decide and how it turns out for you.

Good Luck!!!

I hate to go against the flow,...but, it seems every time I open a magazine for helicopters, all they want to talk about is EMS.

Why don't you try something a little less popular, like Cattle Mustering, Tuna Boats, or Powerline Patrol? :)

I really appreciate all the information guys! I can always count on this forum to come through with the most helpful information.

I have just recently finished the rough draft of my topic proposal, so I am still figuring out how to get my ideas in order. I have basically taken all of the ideas you guys have given me and put it into research form. I really like the idea of also adding in the debate of if we should have more trauma centers to kind of lower on the distances these helicopters have to travel. Still tossing around the idea.

I have a workshop on it tomorrow, so I will fix it up and re-write it and let you guys know how it goes. So far so good!

Thanks again. B)