Female pilot vs male pilot

Hi all, this is my first post/reply here so please be gentle. Body weight can be an important factor in the equation regardless of the pilots gender. If you're operating under part 133 or dedicated EMS, you could find yourself close to Max Gross and in a high density altitude situation. A lot of dedicated EMS operations require a maximum body weight limitation for the pilot. At one time I was the lead pilot on an EMS contract. I used to field telephone calls from pilots inquiring about employment. I interviewed a female pilot that was still in the Army and inquired about our minimum requirements. Back then the requirements included a commercial license with a helicopter rating and a second class medical certificate. We also required that an instrument rating was expected within 90 days of hire. Our insurance company prevented us from hiring anyone with less than 3000 hours of helicopter time. Unfortunately she did not meet that requirement and was not considered for employment. I told her that when her experience level met the magic 3000 hours to give us a call back. I have personally talked four women into applying for U.S. Army flight school. The last I heard three of them graduated and became Army Warrant Officers, the fourth ended up getting married to an Army pilot before she graduated from flight school. I personally don't believe that gender has much, if anything, to do with true professionalism, at least not in the cockpit. I think what irks some men is the belief that some women may try to use their femininity as an excuse for incompetence or demanding a break simply because they're a women. Pardon the pun but that attitude doesn't fly in professional aviation. Keep in mind there are plenty of guys who flunked out of flight school and their gender had nothing to do with it. Your skills, ability, and professional work ethic will keep you employed. I don't think anyone cares about what color your lipstick is! Lol!!!

sometimes simply because the men tend to act differently when a woman is around. (Do women know that?)

Shhh- Don't tell all.

Kim- good seeing you again today!!

Edited by Goldy
  • Like 1